Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

There's another lesson here, if you care to learn it. Odds are that you won't, but what the hell:

Just because you have a newly minted pilot's license doesn't allow you to fly anything you want right away. Nobody will insure you in a high performance retractable until you have a certain number of hours and perhaps an additional 25 in type with an instructor. That's more than half what is just required to get a license in the first place.

And this is not just a one-time issue, it's usually true for each new aircraft. And taildraggers. And multi-engine aircraft, when you get that rating. To take this to an extreme, P-51 insurers usually require at least 200 hours in a T-6 before you can even get close to the airplane.

To own and operate all the "ladder" aircraft you might need would take more than a lifetime, and a whole lotta money - probably more than you or I will ever make. But the aviation community is a tight one. Even though I have been able to own four aircraft in my 25-year civilian flying career, I've flown 27 different types, including time in Stearman's, T-6's, T-28's and an L-39. There is no way I could own and operate all those aircraft.

So, this leads to the lesson. Given that dialogue about motocross versus military aviation, it sure sounds like you have a great big chip on your shoulder. You aren't making yourself more accessible. Why would someone want to want to help you progress? You "don't even know who the Haskins are and you don't care." That little alienating statement could have turned people off from you that might have provided an opportunity, advice or an airplane in your future.

I'm not trying to lecture, but you might want to know how it is out there if you're really interested in getting your license and becoming a pilot of something other than a very entry-level aircraft.

Tim

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
    You can't take any blame for this Mark, it was all one big Misunderstanding and its all behind us. If its anyones fault its more of mine but its really all one big Misunderstanding.
    Just remember though Mark it was MEPS that DQ'ed me not the Air Force so I can't go the Army way either.

Comment

Just get a Sports Pilot License for now. You'll be able to fly some 2-place aircraft (1300 lbs gross or less), and start enjoy flying now until you can afford more.

Instead of the standard 40 hours of flight-time instruction as well as many hundreds of dollars you'll have to pay, you can get the sports pilot license in 20 hours and for a couple hundred of dollars.

Interested? Read this then:

"Get a pilot's license in 20 hours for only $340"

LINK: http://www.gadling.com/2008/02/06/ge...for-340-bucks/

More details here: http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lif...ning_To_Fly_CT
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I have been following this thread a bit and for the OP to try and justify MX being more tolling on the body than combat without having experienced it is just naive.
        Im not a pilot, or an MX rider, and i could quote youtube videos like they are going out of fashion too to try and justify my position, but OP, listen to Big Jim, Randy Haskin and those who have been there, sure it may not have the constant work load of a 30 minute MX race, but i would have to be pretty positive that flying a combat aircraft at 500 knots, low level, trying to evade defences pulling G's and trying to concentrate on finding, hitting the bad guys without hitting your own guys is not only physically draining, but damn near mentally exhausting too.

And as for just going out and buying an airplane when you have the money sure, but as others have posted, the aviation community is pretty tight nit and no owner is just going to throw you the keys and say sure, go for it. I know Pilots where i live that have close to 1000 hours and have never owned their own airplane, or even been in a syndicate yet they still fly, and its only on the recommendation of previous instructors and owners that they have been able to progress to a different airplane.
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
          I have been following this thread a bit and for the OP to try and justify MX being more tolling on the body than combat without having experienced it is just naive.
          Im not a pilot, or an MX rider, and i could quote youtube videos like they are going out of fashion too to try and justify my position, but OP, listen to Big Jim, Randy Haskin and those who have been there, sure it may not have the constant work load of a 30 minute MX race, but i would have to be pretty positive that flying a combat aircraft at 500 knots, low level, trying to evade defences pulling G's and trying to concentrate on finding, hitting the bad guys without hitting your own guys is not only physically draining, but damn near mentally exhausting too.

And as for just going out and buying an airplane when you have the money sure, but as others have posted, the aviation community is pretty tight nit and no owner is just going to throw you the keys and say sure, go for it. I know Pilots where i live that have close to 1000 hours and have never owned their own airplane, or even been in a syndicate yet they still fly, and its only on the recommendation of previous instructors and owners that they have been able to progress to a different airplane.
          I just think its ridiculous that if a kid who played High School Football, or Basketball has Scoliosis he can get into the Military still with a wavier, yet MX is more physically demanding but I can't get in, which is stupid since I do the tougher sport.
          Last edited by MXrider13; 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM.
          "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

Originally posted by flyride View Post
            There's another lesson here, if you care to learn it. Odds are that you won't, but what the hell:

Tim
            Oh yeah of course Tim you know all about me don't you? You know what I listen to and what I don't. If you read one of my older posts I said I listened to the first 3 pages of this Thread when people were actually giving me real advice, and not just starting arguments and then trying to keep arguing with me in my inbox.

But your right you know all about me, Tim don't you...
            Last edited by MXrider13; 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM.
            "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
              Just get a Sports Pilot License for now. You'll be able to fly some 2-place aircraft (1300 lbs gross or less), and start enjoy flying now until you can afford more.

Interested? Read this then:

"Get a pilot's license in 20 hours for only $340"

LINK: http://www.gadling.com/2008/02/06/ge...for-340-bucks/

More details here: http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lif...ning_To_Fly_CT
              Thats really cool man Ill look into that

Comment

Maybe they didn't bounce you for health reasons, could of been attitude, just sayin

Comment

well as a racer of 4wheelers preadator 500 baby and as an airplane racer ,knottygirl,judy,and ms agro and alaska bush pilot, corprate pilot as well as some airline flyin , im gonna chime in here , all I need is to borrow kevins sbach for 15 min and I can tell you what you had for lunch , thats should take care of the which one is more physically demanding as far as the att part there are alot of people on this forum with lots of knoledge on the subject of flying so listen to them and quit comparing it to riding a bike, flying is the best thing and I hope you can find a way to do it as far as the cheapest way , find a rich old lady and take one for the team gigggity

Comment

MX13,

Some good advice has been given. One of the things you need to remember is that it doesn't matter if a guy owns a p-51 or a c-172, he owns it because he loves flying.

If the FBO near you isn't hiring that is OK. Tell the manager and the also guy running the repair shop your love of planes and flying. Is there anything you can do for FREE that will allow you to hang around. See if they will let you put up a flyer for washing planes on the cheap. Remember if you do all of this for free and show that you will do what it takes, you never know what can happen. Your work on the simulator may help in you reducing the hours it takes to get your ticket. Getting friendly with a CFI may open up some backseat rides while the CFI is instructing. When I got my Instrument ticket myself and another guy would sit in the backseat while the other was getting a lesson. If you can just sit, listen and learn from others mistakes that too will help you get your ticket in the min. hours. If you spend enough time at the airport and are polite, guys will be more than happy to show off their plane or their flying for you. Airplane people are usually easy going. There are plenty of guys at the airport who love flying, but their sons or daughters just are not interested. They may enjoy taking a young person that is interested under their wing. If nothing else you will make some friends. If some of them can hand their training books down to you that will save you money also..

Tom
                    Last edited by degroodtt; 06-30-2011, 09:46 AM. Reason: Can't spell training with only one n

Comment

Dude, I learned everything about you that was relevant material for my post, from you. Thanks for making my point for me, in fine fashion.

I'm not arguing with you. I gave you real advice. What you do with it is up to you.

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
                      Oh yeah of course Tim you know all about me don't you? You know what I listen to and what I don't. If you read one of my older posts I said I listened to the first 3 pages of this Thread when people were actually giving me real advice, and not just starting arguments and then trying to keep arguing with me in my inbox.

But your right you know all about me, Tim don't you...
                      Last edited by flyride; 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Dude, I learned everything about you that was relevant material for my post, from you. Thanks for making my point for me, in fine fashion.

I'm not arguing with you. I gave you real advice. What you do with it is up to you.
                        I suggest a new strategy, R2....let the Wookie win.

Comment

I pop back into this thread every couple days. I really can't believe it's still going on! Seriously, it's like watching a slow motion train wreck.

MX, I've never ridden Motocross and I have mucho del respecto for anyone who does. I would debate the tougher sport, though, having played many. NCAA rugby will kick your a$$! It all depends on how you look at it, it guess. Either way, keep up your Motocross. Chicks dig it. Probably. I mean some of them watch NASCAR, right?

Anyway here's my 2 cents. You might be too old now to be part of the Young Eagles program, but you can still volunteer at their regular activities. My little brother is 27, doesn't have a license, but volunteer's at every activity. After all the kids have been up for a ride, guess who goes up next. That's right - the volunteers. And they do a whole lot funner (more fun? Funnerer? ) stuff than the kiddies got to do. My brother has been up for a lot of aerobatics that way and has been able to meet a ton of great pilot/owners. The key is being humble and being willing to help with anything.

On a side note, I'll recommend a book. From the sounds of your earlier posts you might be interested in it. It's called Air Warriors by Douglas C. Waller. It's all about the training of naval aviators. It talks about a lot of what it takes, mentally and physically, to be a military pilot.

Take it easy and have some fun here. Tone it down just a tad and you will.

Craig

Comment

I never said you didn't give me real advice and no you don't know anything about me so stop assuming things.

Comment

Originally posted by degroodtt View Post
                              MX13,

Some good advice has been given. One of the things you need to remember is that it doesn't matter if a guy owns a p-51 or a c-172, he owns it because he loves flying.

If the FBO near you isn't hiring that is OK. Tell the manager and the also guy running the repair shop your love of planes and flying. Is there anything you can do for FREE that will allow you to hang around. See if they will let you put up a flyer for washing planes on the cheap. Remember if you do all of this for free and show that you will do what it takes, you never know what can happen. Your work on the simulator may help in you reducing the hours it takes to get your ticket. Getting friendly with a CFI may open up some backseat rides while the CFI is instructing. When I got my Instrument ticket myself and another guy would sit in the backseat while the other was getting a lesson. If you can just sit, listen and learn from others mistakes that too will help you get your ticket in the min. hours. If you spend enough time at the airport and are polite, guys will be more than happy to show off their plane or their flying for you. Airplane people are usually easy going. There are plenty of guys at the airport who love flying, but their sons or daughters just are not interested. They may enjoy taking a young person that is interested under their wing. If nothing else you will make some friends. If some of them can hand their training books down to you that will save you money also..

Tom
                              I don't think I can work for free though, I need the money for school. Right now I only work for $7.75 an hour and I can only get 20 hours a week which is not enough for school.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
                                I pop back into this thread every couple days. I really can't believe it's still going on! Seriously, it's like watching a slow motion train wreck.

MX, I've never ridden Motocross and I have mucho del respecto for anyone who does. I would debate the tougher sport, though, having played many. NCAA rugby will kick your a$$! It all depends on how you look at it, it guess. Either way, keep up your Motocross. Chicks dig it. Probably. I mean some of them watch NASCAR, right?

Anyway here's my 2 cents. You might be too old now to be part of the Young Eagles program, but you can still volunteer at their regular activities. My little brother is 27, doesn't have a license, but volunteer's at every activity. After all the kids have been up for a ride, guess who goes up next. That's right - the volunteers. And they do a whole lot funner (more fun? Funnerer? ) stuff than the kiddies got to do. My brother has been up for a lot of aerobatics that way and has been able to meet a ton of great pilot/owners. The key is being humble and being willing to help with anything.

On a side note, I'll recommend a book. From the sounds of your earlier posts you might be interested in it. It's called Air Warriors by Douglas C. Waller. It's all about the training of naval aviators. It talks about a lot of what it takes, mentally and physically, to be a military pilot.

Take it easy and have some fun here. Tone it down just a tad and you will.

Craig
                                Most people who like NASCAR hate MX and same the other way around (atleast out of the people I know). I don't know much about rugby but Dirt Rider and several other Magazines, and a few colleges and they did studies that MX is the most physically demanding sport that even Marines have a hard time with it.
                                Also I think its stupid how at MEPS if a kid played High School Football or Basketball and has Scoliosis he can get in the military with a waiver but not MX though MX is more physically demanding.

I thought this forum was great before till everyone had to start arguing with me and even one guy on here claiming he knows all about me...

Ill look into the Eagle Scouts if it can help me get a license Ill do it
                                Last edited by MXrider13; 07-02-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X