Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
    Sure he may know how to fly a plane, he may know more about flying but when it comes to Physically demanding Motocross is the top, it is the most physically demanding thing anyone can do!
    What, exactly, is it that you're trying to accomplish here?

Your Uncle Sam has selected and trained HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of pilots over the course of nearly a CENTURY. They know a thing or two about what is and is not going to be an issue with physical requirements. Do you honestly think you're smarter than all the people over all those years who have been constantly re-evaluating that criteria over the years? Do you really think that your ability to handle motocross racing in any way translates to the ability to adapt and operate in high performance flight?

You can rage on and on about how physically demanding motocross racing is, but that is not going to change the fact that there is a much bigger physical health picture at play when you're talking about an individual that the government is going to spend literally millions of dollars to train and care for during the course of his service.

Good luck with the hunt, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
      What, exactly, is it that you're trying to accomplish here?

Your Uncle Sam has selected and trained HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of pilots over the course of nearly a CENTURY. They know a thing or two about what is and is not going to be an issue with physical requirements. Do you honestly think you're smarter than all the people over all those years who have been constantly re-evaluating that criteria over the years? Do you really think that your ability to handle motocross racing in any way translates to the ability to adapt and operate in high performance flight?

You can rage on and on about how physically demanding motocross racing is, but that is not going to change the fact that there is a much bigger physical health picture at play when you're talking about an individual that the government is going to spend literally millions of dollars to train and care for during the course of his service.

Good luck with the hunt, though.
      Look my cousin got in the army in the 90s with Scoliosis and his curve is worse than mine, MARK SHANE got into.
      Yet I have a curve less than 20 degrees and I can't get in...
      Also if you want to know how well Motocross can translate to the ability to adapt to flying under Gs next time you are at the Air Races ask look for a guy named Bob Hannah, ask him how he trained for Motocross, its very similar to flight training. Also attend a Supercross, Arenacross, or Outdoor National event, get pit passes 9they are cheapest at the Outdoor Nationals since only diehard Motocross fans attend) and ask the riders how they train. You will probably learn its like training to be a fighter pilot since:

Both MX riders and Fighter Pilots get arm pump (that thing you get when you pull high Gs and you can't move your arm)
      Both have to have lots of endurance to be able to pull heavy weight under Gs for 30 mins straight
      Both have to think fast, under pressure, in a split second
      Both put great strain on your body
      I'm sure Fighter Pilots almost Max out on Heart Rates, with Motocross reaching 94%-96% max heart rates for 30 mins with only Soccer coming close (I believe soccer is about 90%-92% for an hour or more)

So to say that Motocross doesn't compare to being a fighter pilot at all is well ignorant...
      "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

I'm sure that you can submit this online conversation, showing that you have proved your point and that the Haskin brothers don't know squat about MX or flying jets to your recruiter and it will change his mind. You sure helped me make up my mind.

Good luck with that pro motocross gig

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
          I'm sure that you can submit this online conversation, showing that you have proved your point and that the Haskin brothers don't know squat about MX or flying jets to your recruiter and it will change his mind. You sure helped me make up my mind.

I have no idea who the Haskin Brothers are, but I don't care what MEPS or Uncle Sam thinks any more. Its been over a year, if they don't need me than I don't need them. Me not being able to get in is like what my mom always says and said at the time "Everything happens for a reason, no matter how bad the thing was that happened, just takes time to figure out the reason."
          Now I realized that I am more passionate about being an entrepreneur and racing Motocross than I am about being in the Military.
          I've always been a very competitive person and thats what I am going to do. Ill just buy a plane when I have the money.
          "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

No, it's okay Arctic Cat. I tried talking to him off-line in a nice, civil conversation and all I got was attitude worthy of the next season of Jersey Shore. Don't mind that I was a Naval Aviator, and my brother is an Air Force fighter pilot. It doesn't matter. He's right. Collectively we're ignorant. I don't know the first thing about racing motocross.

Isn't it funny though, how he tosses out the name Bob Hannah to make a point, but all I have to do is look on my cell phone and see Buckwheat's phone number? I guess that's the difference.

The young man asked a question about how to get his pilots license, and those in the know have offered him various levels of advice about how to achieve that. What he chooses to do with it depends on him.

End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              No, it's okay Arctic Cat. I tried talking to him off-line in a nice, civil conversation and all I got was attitude worthy of the next season of Jersey Shore. Don't mind that I was a Naval Aviator, and my brother is an Air Force fighter pilot. It doesn't matter. He's right. Collectively we're ignorant. I don't know the first thing about racing motocross.

Isn't it funny though, how he tosses out the name Bob Hannah to make a point, but all I have to do is look on my cell phone and see Buckwheat's phone number? I guess that's the difference.

The young man asked a question about how to get his pilots license, and those in the know have offered him various levels of advice about how to achieve that. What he chooses to do with it depends on him.

End of story.
              I was glad the other guys awhile ago gave me advice on how to get a pilots license. Than Mark Shane just asked if it was MEPS or just the recuriter that said I couldn't get in, which he said he was sorry. Then you people said Air Force, its because you have Silicious Uncle Sam doesn't want to take a chance on you, then you Big Jim had to message me for some reason, when I told you I was going to let it go after your being young comment.
              Then Randy had to say motocross doesn't compare to Air Force training.
              I was nice on the first 3 pages of this thread when people were actually giving me advice, which they did and it was good advice and not messaging my inbox to start arguments...
              Now I am going to follow the advice I was giving on the first 3 pages that is actually about how to get a license and not whether or not.
              I have to agree with MARK SHANE though since he said the samething as my cousin who was in the Army for 15 years said, Now at MEPS they are being way more picky do to the economy and the amount of people joining.

Comment

Recommend you go take a look at the forums at jetcareers.com, as they have a good forum on flight training. (http://forums.jetcareers.com/flight-training/)

Most of the participants there are younger and just starting careers in professional aviation, so you're likely to get good "hot off the press" advice on what is and is not cost-effective (and quality) training.

Comment

Recommend you go take a look at the forums at jetcareers.com, as they have a good forum on flight training. (http://forums.jetcareers.com/flight-training/)

Most of the participants there are younger and just starting careers in professional aviation, so you're likely to get good "hot off the press" advice on what is and is not cost-effective (and quality) training.
                  I just registered thanks
                  I tired putting you down as the referrer but your not a member...

Comment

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
                    I just registered thanks
                    I tired putting you down as the referrer but your not a member...
                    I've actually been a member/participant there for about 5 years, I just use a different screen-name.

It's one of my favorite pro-aviation forums, but mostly caters to the regional airline pilot and below crowd.

Comment

I've actually been a member/participant there for about 5 years, I just use a different screen-name.

It's one of my favorite pro-aviation forums, but mostly caters to the regional airline pilot and below crowd.
                      Oh alright, I was looking into the regional airlines but I'm not sure if I want to fly for a career or go the entrepreneurial route and just fly for fun, since I have done a little promoting and I have been talking to a guy who has been in a Major label group in the late 80s who now works as a music consultant which I am thinking about starting an Indie Label since I love Rockabilly, Blues and Metal Music, doing promoting and running a lawn care business while I go to school and then get my pilots license for fun.
                      I'm not sure though thats why I joined Jet Careers.
                      Last edited by MXrider13; 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

My appologies to everyone on this thread for starting a argument about this issue, I was just trying to give the kid some different options thats all. I do have to concur with Big Jim on the Army flight training I did research it and it is demanding they turn down applicants just on maturity alone. I was probably in the wrong to say just because the Air Force says no the others may not, I was thinking like a civilian that is looking for a job, well if this place doesn't hire me I will go some where that will, but like Big Jim would say that is a comparison of apples and oranges, and you cant apply civilian job finding to the military two different worlds. As for the motocross vs flight training I am not going there its not my expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by MARK SHANE View Post
                          My appologies to everyone on this thread for starting a argument about this issue, I was just trying to give the kid some different options thats all. I do have to concur with Big Jim on the Army flight training I did research it and it is demanding they turn down applicants just on maturity alone. I was probably in the wrong to say just because the Air Force says no the others may not, I was thinking like a civilian that is looking for a job, well if this place doesn't hire me I will go some where that will, but like Big Jim would say that is a comparison of apples and oranges, and you cant apply civilian job finding to the military two different worlds. As for the motocross vs flight training I am not going there its not my expertise.
                          You can't take any blame for this Mark, it was all one big Misunderstanding and its all behind us. If its anyones fault its more of mine but its really all one big Misunderstanding.
                          Just remember though Mark it was MEPS that DQ'ed me not the Air Force so I can't go the Army way either.

Comment

Randy, you talk like you know something about that!

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=994525114001
                            Jeez and I always thot Big Jim was the good looking brother....

Thanks to everyone for this very educational and well handled thread!

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was a Naval Aviator, and my brother is an Air Force fighter pilot. It doesn't matter. He's right. Collectively we're ignorant.
                              Correct. Just ask an AF bomber pilot...

Sorry, could not resist.
                              Actually, Buckwheat would be the person that could put this to rest. If it can rest, and if it matters.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Well collectively were ignorant it is, but I am meeting some damn good people on here sorry Wayne I know its a no swearing forum but I had to say that!

Comment

Working...
                                X