Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
    Wayne is right, IT TAKES DETERMINATION!

First, don't get married or into a serious relationship. That will kill the dream quicker than anything. And, it is almost certain that you would succumb to AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) anyway.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Keep that in mind, commit to it and work your butt off to earn the way. There will be many "firsts" and with each one you will come to realize more and more just how "worth it" it is.
    LOL I like your definition AIDS lol. I wasn't planning on even getting into a relationship soon. Too many girls of my generation are dumb all of them want kids and to be married by the time there 21! Anyway but Ill keep working for it.
    "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

Here is the route I went.

Keep in mind I'm an A & P and do all the work myself. I have a 68 Beech Musketeer Super III. It took me 2 years to get my private ticket.

$25,000 for the plane. (Long story but this is the aprox cost to my first flight)
      $6000 for hangar rent (2 years)
      $2000 for insurance (2 years)
      $1000 for maint. Parts, supplies, etc. (2 years)
      $1500 for my flight instructor (aprox 30hrs at $50/hr)
      $2500 for fuel (2 years, aprox 60hrs, 10gal/hr burn at $4.00/gal)
      $38000 total to get my private ticket. Which = about $633/hr

Now.
      $3000 per year for hangar
      $750 per year for insurance
      $500 per year for maint. Oil, filters, parts, supplies, etc.
      $5000 per year for fuel to fly 100hrs a year at $5.00/gal.
      $9250 total. Which = about $92.50 per hour to fly.

Is it cheaper to rent? Probably
      Is it worth it to own your own plane? Yes!!!!!

Hope this helps
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Sailing South View Post
        Here is the route I went.

Keep in mind I'm an A & P and do all the work myself. I have a 68 Beech Musketeer Super III. It took me 2 years to get my private ticket.

$25,000 for the plane. (Long story but this is the aprox cost to my first flight)
        $6000 for hangar rent (2 years)
        $2000 for insurance (2 years)
        $1000 for maint. Parts, supplies, etc. (2 years)
        $1500 for my flight instructor (aprox 30hrs at $50/hr)
        $2500 for fuel (2 years, aprox 60hrs, 10gal/hr burn at $4.00/gal)
        $38000 total to get my private ticket. Which = about $633/hr

Now.
        $3000 per year for hangar
        $750 per year for insurance
        $500 per year for maint. Oil, filters, parts, supplies, etc.
        $5000 per year for fuel to fly 100hrs a year at $5.00/gal.
        $9250 total. Which = about $92.50 per hour to fly.

Is it cheaper to rent? Probably
        Is it worth it to own your own plane? Yes!!!!!

Hope this helps
        Scott
        I think I will just rent, theres no way I can afford a plane.
        "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

6 of us own a c-150 (yes that's right 6!) $ per month is minimal, per hour pays the annual. gotta buy your own gas, but ...
          I wish this kid was around Boise Idaho. i'd, make him a sweet deal on a share of "our" plane. (CFI rates depend on individual and method of payment, none of us is cfi).
          you can buy an electric bike, or own part of a C-150! been in this group 10 years and LOVE IT!!!

Comment

A lower cost alternative to get started would be some of the flight simulators that are made for the home computer. While it's not really flying, they do use the same pricipals of flight, and if applied the correct way might accelerate your learning process and keep the CFI hours down closer to the minimum. I used Microsoft's Flight Simulator X to keep my navigation skills up. Plus, you can race a mustang at Reno on it!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I never had any money growing up and now I have 10,000 hours of flight time and fly 737's for a living. People will always tell you it costs too much and you will never make a living flying, don't listen. If you're looking at this site you obviously like airplanes-so go for it. My best advice would be to get a job at a FBO if you are young, if you spend time at the airport you will make connections. If that is not possible, try to join a local flying club, it is usually cheaper. Join the local EAA, CAF, CAP, hang around and it will happen. I have flown Connies to P-51's without paying, but have spent all day every day making it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JetsareforKids View Post
                I never had any money growing up and now I have 10,000 hours of flight time and fly 737's for a living. People will always tell you it costs too much and you will never make a living flying, don't listen. If you're looking at this site you obviously like airplanes-so go for it. My best advice would be to get a job at a FBO if you are young, if you spend time at the airport you will make connections. If that is not possible, try to join a local flying club, it is usually cheaper. Join the local EAA, CAF, CAP, hang around and it will happen. I have flown Connies to P-51's without paying, but have spent all day every day making it happen.
                I was in CAP for 4 years but we never once flew, all we did was march around. I hated it. Ill check out the other clubs you mentioned, I have been looking for a Job at an FBO but none are opening so far...
                Ill keep trying.

Comment

Are you still 18? If so, get a Young Eagles ride. You get a coupon for access to Sporty's ground school for free. If you pass with a good grade, the EAA has a number of scholarships you may be eligible for.
                  John Smutny

Comment

Originally posted by eagledriver View Post
                    Are you still 18? If so, get a Young Eagles ride. You get a coupon for access to Sporty's ground school for free. If you pass with a good grade, the EAA has a number of scholarships you may be eligible for.
                    I am 19, so will that still work?

Comment

You may want to check out the youngeagles.org site. You can sign up for an EAA Student Membership and they have a page about scholarships.

Also check to see if your State has a pilots association that gives out scholarships. My chapter of the Washington Pilots Association gives out a $500 scholarship for flight training every year to an Aviation High School student.

Just remember, there is no free ride in aviation. It's hard work, but well worth it!
                      Last edited by eagledriver; 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM.
                      John Smutny

Comment

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
                        What is the cheapest, most cost effective way to get a pilots license, no MILITARY THOUGH! The reason is I tired to join the Air Force Reserve last year and was planning on doing ROTC at the same time, it was going well till I went to MEPS and I was born with a minor case of scoliosis that prevented me from joining, I went to MEPS twice and failed each time(I think I was the only one who failed because of something other than weed or tattoos).
                        Anyway whats the cheapest and to get a pilots license? I need to find a cheaper way since I no longer have Uncle Sams backing for College so I have to pay for it myself now .
                        Hey MXrider13 do you know if this was MEPS desicion or the Air Forces, the reason I ask is because I have minor scoliosis in my lower spine but was still able to enlist into the Marine Corps but that was 1991 and recruiting standards may be a little different now. My point is have you talked to the other armed forces recruiters about this, just because the Air Force said no doesn't mean the Army will and the reason why I mention the Army is because unless I am wrong they have what they call a high school to flight school program it is for helicopters. If you could get into that you could fly helicopters for the Army and pursue your fixed wing license on your off time plus you would be at a great advantage being that you had already learned how to fly helicopters, just a thought hope this helps dont give up and don't take no for a answer.

Comment

Originally posted by MARK SHANE View Post
                          Hey MXrider13 do you know if this was MEPS desicion or the Air Forces, the reason I ask is because I have minor scoliosis in my lower spine but was still able to enlist into the Marine Corps but that was 1991 and recruiting standards may be a little different now. My point is have you talked to the other armed forces recruiters about this, just because the Air Force said no doesn't mean the Army will and the reason why I mention the Army is because unless I am wrong they have what they call a high school to flight school program it is for helicopters. If you could get into that you could fly helicopters for the Army and pursue your fixed wing license on your off time plus you would be at a great advantage being that you had already learned how to fly helicopters, just a thought hope this helps dont give up and don't take no for a answer.
                          It was MEPS, DQ'ed me for my scoliosis and they didn't seem to care that I have been racing Motocross since I was 13 (most people probably don't realize how physically demanding Motocross is, its tougher than Football) . Really the only way I can become a pilot now is the civilian way. I did look into the Army's High School to Flight School awhile ago but I don't think I can get in the military now.
                          Thanks for the help though.

Comment

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
                            It was MEPS, DQ'ed me for my scoliosis and they didn't seem to care that I have been racing Motocross since I was 13 (most people probably don't realize how physically demanding Motocross is, its tougher than Football) . Really the only way I can become a pilot now is the civilian way. I did look into the Army's High School to Flight School awhile ago but I don't think I can get in the military now.
                            Thanks for the help though.
                            Well that sucks, I am sorry to hear that, yeah if motocross isn't a big enough test I don't know what is, they are just being picky because there are alot of people trying to get in now thats all. Well keep us posted on your progress alright and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MARK SHANE View Post
                              Well that sucks, I am sorry to hear that, yeah if motocross isn't a big enough test I don't know what is, they are just being picky because there are alot of people trying to get in now thats all. Well keep us posted on your progress alright and good luck!
                              I was pissed as hell that day, but I will keep you posted

Comment

I'm sorry, this is going to come across harsher than I am intending it, but...you can't compare what you're doing in motocross to what you would be doing in military flight training. You're talking apples and oranges. The standards for acceptance into a military flight training program have medical limitations for a reason. The comment about 'standards being relaxed' and such have never been about medical issues...they have always been about grades or eyesight stuff.

If you have a medical issue that keeps you from meeting the entry standards, it's not because they are singling you out...it is because there is something within the physiological/aeromedical training regimine. And most likely it is that because of whatever that ailment is you would not be able to perform certain maneuvers, take on a specific g-load, or have range of motion to manipulate the controls...or worse, it is a condition that DOING the above mentioned things could or would worsen your condition or cause serious injury or death. For instance, if you had to bail out or eject out of your aircraft, what would the impact on your spine be?

And what you want to fly (i.e. the suggestion do go for 'just' helicopters, for example) has no bearing on it...because ALL military pilots undergo the same syllabus in primary flight training no matter what platform or community they end up going to. A helo pilot gets the same training as a fighter pilot or cargo pilot. Aerobatics, formation, navigation, etc. The entry standards for medical are based on passing the minimums for primary flight training.

Trust me...I had guys 'boarded-out' of my flight training class for stuff that just made you scratch your head...but there was a medical reason for it.

So while you can be pissed about it, just don't take it personally.
                                Last edited by Big_Jim; 06-27-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X