Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

What is the cheapest, most cost effective way to get a pilots license, no MILITARY THOUGH! The reason is I tired to join the Air Force Reserve last year and was planning on doing ROTC at the same time, it was going well till I went to MEPS and I was born with a minor case of scoliosis that prevented me from joining, I went to MEPS twice and failed each time(I think I was the only one who failed because of something other than weed or tattoos).
    Anyway whats the cheapest and to get a pilots license? I need to find a cheaper way since I no longer have Uncle Sams backing for College so I have to pay for it myself now .
    "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Re: Best Cost effective way to get a Pilots license?

I got mine the old fashioned way, over 30 years ago, by working at my local FBO, answering phones, radio calls, gassing planes, renting planes, tows, etc. on week-ends, and getting paid in flight time. Also flew dead-head on the FBO's planes on transport flights. The only cash costs were for some block time before I got the week-end job when the person who held the job got her ticket. Don't know if you can still find this kind of sweetheart deal any more. Good luck. You will never regret it.

Betty Sherman, Treasurer
    National Air racing group

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
      I got mine the old fashioned way, over 30 years ago, by working at my local FBO, answering phones, radio calls, gassing planes, renting planes, tows, etc. on week-ends, and getting paid in flight time. Also flew dead-head on the FBO's planes on transport flights. The only cash costs were for some block time before I got the week-end job when the person who held the job got her ticket. Don't know if you can still find this kind of sweetheart deal any more. Good luck. You will never regret it.

Betty Sherman, Treasurer
      National Air racing group
      Ill look for it it sounds good!
      "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
        What is the cheapest, most cost effective way to get a pilots license, no MILITARY THOUGH!...

Have a very good friend who's a certified flight instructor, and hit him up someday for a "really big favor to ask of you...".

I figure you have as much chance of that as getting a starter job at an FBO during these harsh, days of so many unemployed people ...I wish you the best of luck. Who knows?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
          Have a very good friend who's a certified flight instructor, and hit him up someday for a "really big favor to ask of you...".

I figure you have as much chance of that as getting a starter job at an FBO during these harsh, days of so many unemployed people ...I wish you the best of luck. Who knows?

Sadly I don't know anyone who has an aircraft or a Pilots License, not even any airline pilots.

Comment

Unfortunately having someone you know be a pilot doesn't really help these days. My brother is an instructor for both fixed wing and helicopters. The cost of me learning is only about 20% less for fixed wing and 8% less for helicopter, even when he gives his time for free.

This big costs: gas & vehicle.
            Gas is obvious but the airplane is not so obvious. Even if you own your own aircraft you cannot instruct in it unless you pay a much larger insurance premium. The insurance increase is so much it is cheaper to rent a plane by the hour from a place your instructor is employed at than pay it for a plane you're the only student in.

My recommendation:
            Save enough money that you can purchase all your flight time at once. Most places will give a discount on larger chunks of time. In addition, people who do all their learning at once generally take fewer hours to complete than those who stretch it out over many years. (hours = $)

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bflynt View Post
              Unfortunately having someone you know be a pilot doesn't really help these days. My brother is an instructor for both fixed wing and helicopters. The cost of me learning is only about 20% less for fixed wing and 8% less for helicopter, even when he gives his time for free.

This big costs: gas & vehicle.
              Gas is obvious but the airplane is not so obvious. Even if you own your own aircraft you cannot instruct in it unless you pay a much larger insurance premium. The insurance increase is so much it is cheaper to rent a plane by the hour from a place your instructor is employed at than pay it for a plane you're the only student in.

My recommendation:
              Save enough money that you can purchase all your flight time at once. Most places will give a discount on larger chunks of time. In addition, people who do all their learning at once generally take fewer hours to complete than those who stretch it out over many years. (hours = $)

Bryan
              Well its going to be a few years than

Comment

Another option would be looking into colleges in the area that offer aviation programs. Our local community college has a program that will take you all the way through the ratings needed to get on at a commuter airline flying turbo prop stuff. A kid that works for me got a full scholarship for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Another option would be looking into colleges in the area that offer aviation programs. Our local community college has a program that will take you all the way through the ratings needed to get on at a commuter airline flying turbo prop stuff. A kid that works for me got a full scholarship for the program.
                  Alright Ill see if any have any.

Comment

Well its going to be a few years then
                    Important thing though, you have a few years.. Get to be an old fart like me... your options are less.. annnd... you have less time!

You will never achieve any goal in life without determination, it's going to take that and more to get where you want to go...

Hang in there!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Alright Ill see if any have any.
                      A friend of mine did a program like that...but found that the "full scholarship" didn't cover the costs of actually GETTING the licenses surrounding the degree. He calls it his $75,000 CFI rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        A friend of mine did a program like that...but found that the "full scholarship" didn't cover the costs of actually GETTING the licenses surrounding the degree. He calls it his $75,000 CFI rating.
                        $75,000 total wow

Comment

Sent a PM to you, MX.
                          Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            The one here covers all costs, at least in some situations. It is pricey as all get out if you don't get any aid though. I think it's over $100k.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Important thing though, you have a few years.. Get to be an old fart like me... your options are less.. annnd... you have less time!

You will never achieve any goal in life without determination, it's going to take that and more to get where you want to go...

Hang in there!
                              Wayne is right, IT TAKES DETERMINATION!

First, don't get married or into a serious relationship. That will kill the dream quicker than anything. And, it is almost certain that you would succumb to AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) anyway.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Keep that in mind, commit to it and work your butt off to earn the way. There will be many "firsts" and with each one you will come to realize more and more just how "worth it" it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X