Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R-4360 test cell run

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
    The Napier Sabre is probably more complex.

Jarrod
    Agreed, on a purely mechanical basis. Sleeve valves, dual crankshafts, etc.- it would be hard to think of a piston engine more complicated than a Sabre. The 4360 is actually fairly simple by comparison. As others have pointed out, a space shuttle engine takes metallurgy (and plumbing!) to a higher level of complexity, but is simpler from a moving parts perspective. Its hard to really compare the complexity that all the lines of software it takes to run a modern Detroit v8 and automatic transmission add to the system, but its not trivial. I would argue that most any modern car engine is more complex in terms of counting how many events occur per second to keep it running (ie, how many times are the MAF, throttle, O2 (upstream and downstream), cam position, crank position, and knock sensors interrogated... then how many calculations occur to come up with a fuel injection and spark event cycle...)

Comment

HK-1 actually was powered with R-4360s...and still is the worlds largest aircraft ( 700 troopers...more span etc. ).

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was a little bit off on the High Pressure Fuel Turbo Pump specs:

Imagine if you could put something like that into an airplane. You'd never be able to fuel it though.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Yes, the Sabre may be the most complicated recip.

The Chrysler A57 Multi-Bank tank engine made from FIVE 201 c.i. 6-cylinder inline engines geared to a common output shaft would give it a good run for the money though.

Chrysler used the 201-cubic-inch Plymouth flathead six as the basis for the new engine.

Five crankshafts driving a common center shaft via individual ring gears arrayed around a central gear, five heads, five carburetors, five distributors… and 30 cylinders!

You can see/hear[YT][/YT] one via Youtube: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJK61SbRh0&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post

Yes, the Sabre may be the most complicated recip.

The Chrysler A57 Multi-Bank tank engine made from FIVE 201 c.i. 6-cylinder inline engines geared to a common output shaft would give it a good run for the money though.
          I actually thought about the A57 too. But I own a Plymouth 217 (just a slightly enlarged version of the 5 blocks used in the A57), and each of the 5 is just about as complicated as a Briggs&Stratton mower engine ;-) In the A57, each of the 5 six-cylinder engines retains its own independent oiling system and ignition system, though the cooling systems are combined. Its definitely complicated, but only by putting together 5 relatively simple assemblies.

Still the coolest engine ever to go in a tank, though...

Comment

Working...
          X