This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami rebuild update

"We back drilled the right empennage skin today and we will hopefully finish the left tomorrow, then it?s time to start packing for Oshkosh."

Will

Comment

Tsunami has now left the building... and can be seen a Oshkosh.

Will

Comment

Good news, so awesome of team Tsunami to share their progress.

Comment

For everyone who couldn't see Tsunami in person, here you go.

They are making headway. I think the next step is to pull the cleko'ed panels off, sand blast them and primer them, then rivet them on for good.

Will

Comment

Forgive me if I missed it...is the Tsunami team pointing towards PRS 2023 as their target date or is it too soon to tell?

And BTW, thanks for posting these. Seems I never have time to spend in the pits and vendor areas anymore. Much appreciated!
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
              Forgive me if I missed it...is the Tsunami team pointing towards PRS 2023 as their target date or is it too soon to tell?

And BTW, thanks for posting these. Seems I never have time to spend in the pits and vendor areas anymore. Much appreciated!
              The Tsunami guys don't have a target date as far as I know. They both have real jobs and work on it when time allows. They are also running into a space issue. They are far enough along that they need more space to work on the plane, and they simply don't have it.

I think I heard John say he was going to start in on the wings this winter. The materials cost for the spars is going to be pretty high, so that could be a factor.

As awesome as it would be to see them flying by 2023, I kinda doubt it will happen. Still, one can always hope.

Will

Comment

So, so good to see these pics. Thanks Will!
                Zac in NZ

Comment

This may be the wrong place to ask but I?ve been wondering. Recently I rewatched the two YouTube videos covering the construction of Tsunami and noticed originally she had a NACA inlet on top of the cowl rather than the scoop we?re all familiar with.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when and why that decision was made?
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                    This may be the wrong place to ask but I?ve been wondering. Recently I rewatched the two YouTube videos covering the construction of Tsunami and noticed originally she had a NACA inlet on top of the cowl rather than the scoop we?re all familiar with.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when and why that decision was made?
                    I don't know for sure, but I'd bet it was because they weren't getting enough flow through the NACA duct. They are low drag, but I've heard from several sources that if its not placed exactly perfectly, they don't work well and the air will flow around them, rather than into them.

Will

Comment

Thanks Will. I know Stilletto and MAII had them and wondered how common they were, and why Tsunami seemed to just change.
                      Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                        Thanks Will. I know Stilletto and MAII had them and wondered how common they were, and why Tsunami seemed to just change.
                        MA2 had one for the scoop. It wasn't the easiest thing to setup if I remember. They might have had one for the intake as well, but I can't remember. You might start here. http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...ications/page6 and perhaps here. http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...+II+NACA+scoop

Will

Comment

Race #30 used to have a NACA duct and some tubing feeding the turbos. Pressure recovery was bad. Now some of that is due to the tubing, but there was a conscious decision to go with the twin scoop inlets we have now.

I have a NACA paper that studied the pressure recovery of a scoop inlet vs a NACA duct. I wasn't able to find it online so I'll see if I saved the hard copy. But the gist was pressure recovery from a scoop was equal to if not better than a NACA duct.

The possible advantage of a NACA duct is you don't have to add a fairing on the back side of the scoop (think of the BF-109 supercharger inlet) So there is a possible weight/drag reduction. But for the areas you are talking about, which is right above the spinner there would be no benefit to the NACA duct. You aren't changing the frontal area and you don't have an issue with an after-body fairing because it gets built into the fuselage.

Here is a different NACA paper that compared the two styles. Reno speeds are down in the .4 mach range so it's not a perfect report to use, but it was what I could find. Basically the scoop inlet was always equal to or better than the NACA (summary of Results 1. and you can see it in figure 11). Test includes different mach numbers and angles of attack.

Last edited by CubersWrist; 12-05-2021, 05:16 PM.
                          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Thank you both, I appreciate the technical explanation and the links. And I should be clear I meant the induction NACA on MAII, not the radiator. I find drag-reducing alternatives to the stock Mustang "smile" to be very intriguing.
                            Last edited by ZacYates; 11-29-2021, 10:36 PM.
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

Finally an update on Tsunami...

"We headed to Aircorps Aviation this weekend to use the Farnham roller.
                              Our goal was to get the top skins formed for the fuselage and if we had time left over we would form the empennage and turtle deck. However, the machine couldn?t handle the .063 skins at 9 and a half feet long, but it was able to form everything else.
                              Thank you so much Erik Hokuf and Dan Matachek for all your help.
                              When we left Aircorps on Friday, I called Pat Harker and told him that the Farnham didn?t work and he suggested we use the press brake dies he built for the leading edges on his P-82, so then on Saturday we went over to C&P Aviation and after a couple failed attempts I think we nailed it!
                              Overall it was a great weekend and we can?t wait to start fitting up the skins."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top skin 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	232166

Name:	Top Skin 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	232167

Name:	Top Skin 4.jpg