Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami rebuild update

Default Re: Tsunami rebuild update

Absolutely bitchin

Looks like a racer more and more everyday. So cool seeing a dream being built/built again. Thanks for posting the updates Will.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Here is a link to Sharon Sandberg's newsletter. Not really any new info, but there is some info on a couple of the former Tsunami crew.

https://gem.godaddy.com/p/38fc211?o=...FU1a9gbj8Iz58I

Will

Sad to hear that two of the Tsunami crew have passed. They helped create a lot of memories.

Great to see the photo updates on the rebuild. Gives great perspective on the inner workings.

While this isn't about the rebuild of Tsunami, it is about the original build and first trip to Reno in 1986. Its worth a read.
    http://id3420.securedata.net/speedpr...kL08f_o56FbZ0Q

Will

thank you Will.

Great read Will. Glad I got to see it at all the Reno Air Races it was in. "Skip" Holmes was to have been clocked @ 500+MPH on several laps. Any info on that?
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Great read Will. Glad I got to see it at all the Reno Air Races it was in. "Skip" Holmes was to have been clocked @ 500+MPH on several laps. Any info on that?
    I remember seeing Tsunami in '89 I think. I was 12 years old at the time. I don't remember if I went to reno in 90 or 91.

I don't have any info about Skip pulling 500+ mph laps. I'd have to guess it was in test flights or something like that that wasn't actually officially measured. In '91 Tsunami finished 3rd on Sunday at 478.14 mph in a very close finish with Rare Bear winning at 481.61 mph and Strega finishing second at 478.68 mph. You know at some point in that race there was time spent at close to 500 if not a little more. Still, as Dago Red proved, conditions have to be perfect to run a 500+ lap.

Perhaps someone from the team with more knowledge will chime in. (Too bad we can't get Skip to comment.)

Will

In rebuild news, this happened...

"Only a few more holes to drill in the side skins before we do a final trim and prep for primer.
    Also, if you look at the third photo you’ll notice our new firewall fitting on the top longeron. We have been using the original fittings up until now as tooling while the new ones were being machined. Once the bottom fittings are finished we will be able to begin riveting the skins onto the fuselage."

By Reno next year, they will have something that looks like an airplane again.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-26-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks for the updates, Will...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img012 for web.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	25165