X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami rebuild update

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
    They put out a call on fb some months back asking for help modeling some drawings to CAD. That way they could send the files out to a CNC shop. So I modeled a couple parts for them. The scan I got was hand drawn and things were crossed out and written over which gives a small glimpse into what it was like putting it together the first time.
    Thanks dude. I wish I had more to offer these guys. I’m usually rocking a Tsunami T-shirt at least once a week.

Nice to see such progress. You guys are on 11 right now!
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
      I was wondering if Sharon Sandberg is still involved in the project. I thought she was the publicist.
      Sharon is still involved as far as I know.

I help where I can, but I'm not directly involved with the team or the rebuild, simply a pipeline to help keep the dream alive.

The drawings that were used for the CNC stuff might have been from the original build. I understand there are a lot of plans like that that can be hard to decipher.

I think at one point Jonny was going through some of the plans and notes he has from the original build and found a section for the cooling system that had three different ideas, done by none other than Pete Law. It wasn't clear which design was the one to use so he called Pete who remembered the three different designs and their strengths and weaknesses. If I remember correctly, one was the original, one was a revised setup, and the 3rd was one that was never tested. I remember Pete talking about this at the NAG dinner a few years ago.

This is a very cool project that I really can't wait to see fly (again).

Will

Comment

Now John can sit and make airplane noises...

More headway on Tsunami.

Will

Comment

This is just awesome. I read or heard somewhere that John Sandburg had done some mods to the original design and was planning others. Are any of these mods being integrated into the rebuild?

Comment

I can't say for sure what the plan is, but I think they are implementing some of the changes that were made already before the crash, and making some changes that were either not a good design, heavy or not really ideal. I'm pretty sure it will look nearly identical to the way it was before the crash, but things here and there will be different. There was talk of replacing something forward of the cockpit with something lighter, so the weight in the tail could be removed as well (or something along those lines. I can't remember what exactly they were looking to change or move, but I do remember it was a win/win in the long run.) They are talking to the right people as they rebuild so I think it should be a pretty solid racer when its done.

Will

Comment

That's beautiful, thank you for the updates!

Comment

In light of the cancelation, how about some good news? The Tsunami guys are still hard at work.

bottom of fuselage...under floor. Its tipped on its side in the jig.

More pieces ready for primer.

And receiving said primer...

It shouldn't be too long before they have something resembling an airplane if they keep it up at this rate.

Will
                Last edited by RAD2LTR; 06-26-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                  In light of the cancelation, how about some good news? The Tsunami guys are still hard at work.

bottom of fuselage...under floor. Its tipped on its side in the jig.

More pieces ready for primer.

And receiving said primer...

It shouldn't be too long before they have something resembling an airplane if they keep it up at this rate.

Will
                  Outstanding. Thanks for posting and boosting the spirits!
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Thanks for the update! Certainly needed.

Comment

Can't wait to see this beautiful racer back in the sky.

Comment

Will,

Your awesome, thanks for bringing us some excitement keeping this thread going..

Comment

The Tsunami guys are moving right along...

"We are getting close to installing the fuselage skins, however, before we do that we are trying to fabricate/install many of the cockpit components while we still have unfettered access.

That being said, we are having trouble tracking down a few parts and are hoping some of our followers might be able to help us out. We are currently looking for a T-34 throttle quadrant, a P-51 D canopy crank assembly, the rear stick assembly out of a T-6 and the complete rear rudder pedal assembly from a T-34A."

T34 Throttle quadrant that needs to be replaced...

The broken P51 Canopy Crank.

T6 rear control stick assembly

Somewhere in here is the T34 rear rudder pedal assembly

Does anyone have any of these pieces they need?

Will

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wish I had the parts they needed. I would be shipping them right now if I did.

Comment

We got what you need and we'd be happy to supply it.

Neil Weaver
                              Weaver Aircraft Co.
                              775-887-1234

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wish I had the parts they needed. I would be shipping them right now if I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X