• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami rebuild update

thank you Will.

Comment

Great read Will. Glad I got to see it at all the Reno Air Races it was in. "Skip" Holmes was to have been clocked @ 500+MPH on several laps. Any info on that?
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        Great read Will. Glad I got to see it at all the Reno Air Races it was in. "Skip" Holmes was to have been clocked @ 500+MPH on several laps. Any info on that?
        I remember seeing Tsunami in '89 I think. I was 12 years old at the time. I don't remember if I went to reno in 90 or 91.

I don't have any info about Skip pulling 500+ mph laps. I'd have to guess it was in test flights or something like that that wasn't actually officially measured. In '91 Tsunami finished 3rd on Sunday at 478.14 mph in a very close finish with Rare Bear winning at 481.61 mph and Strega finishing second at 478.68 mph. You know at some point in that race there was time spent at close to 500 if not a little more. Still, as Dago Red proved, conditions have to be perfect to run a 500+ lap.

Perhaps someone from the team with more knowledge will chime in. (Too bad we can't get Skip to comment.)

Will

Comment

In rebuild news, this happened...

"Only a few more holes to drill in the side skins before we do a final trim and prep for primer.
          Also, if you look at the third photo you’ll notice our new firewall fitting on the top longeron. We have been using the original fittings up until now as tooling while the new ones were being machined. Once the bottom fittings are finished we will be able to begin riveting the skins onto the fuselage."

By Reno next year, they will have something that looks like an airplane again.

Will
          Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-26-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the updates, Will...
            Attached Files

Comment

I LOVE this project!

I completely admit, when I read the initial announcement way back when, I was..."ahhh.... OhhhhKay..." I'm not trying to be an arsehole, although I'm aware, that I'm pretty good at doing so... or so I'm told..

What this group has done and continue to do is everything they said they were going to do and in a damn good hurry!

BIG
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"I couldn’t wait any longer...she’s a bit roomier than expected." - Johnny Bjornstad

Comment

Great fit. I can picture it flying again as a true race plane. Thanks.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

The guys working on Tsunami have been at it again. The fuselage has skin!

Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Will

Comment

Thanks for sharing!!!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The guys were taking care of business again...

"We recently riveted the side skins to the stringers and formers. We are still waiting on the new bottom firewall fittings, once we have those in place we will finish riveting the skins to the longerons. The past couple weekends we have focused on fabricating the top formers that surround the liquid bay. Eventually three 45 gallon tanks will be installed just Alf of the firewall containing, ADI, fuel and spray bar water. They are installed and maintained through the top hatch on the top of the fuselage, which you can see in the images. Next we plan to form the top skins and then we will start in on the empennage."

Will

Comment

What you guys are doing is INCREDIBLE and I'm sure all of us can't wait to see her finished!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The guys were back at it...

"We started disassembling the empennage this weekend. Although we plan to build all new longerons, formers, stringers and skins there are many internal parts that look like we can save. "

Will

Comment

"Pieces parts prepared and waiting primer."

"It?s been a long few months of disassembling the empennage, stripping, blasting and forming parts, but this weekend we were finally able to start putting parts back together!"

More headway being made.

Will

Comment

From facebook:
                                "I?ve been slowly rebuilding Tsunamis tail gear when I have a bit of time after work. Surprisingly the gear and strut made it through the accident unscathed. However the actuators rod end was bent, so we will be looking for P-51D actuator in the not too distant future. Aside from that the gear and strut have been completely disassembled, cleaned, soda blasted and tonight we were able to throw some paint at it. "

Comment

Working...
                                X