September Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Fury

...but the fastest IF1 wing so far was a fat thing of quite ordinary planform! The Nemesis wing was not long, not short, and is reputed to have been the best wing ever in the corners under G...

The pushers did turn well, but I think their biggest advantage had nothing to do with the wing planform. They were the only tricycle gear IF1s. That meant that the wing started out horizontal, which gave them a very significant advantage in a racehorse start. Jim Miller was almost always the first airplane on the course, which meant everybody else had to fly around him to pass.

I wonder what GG's race weight is compared to Strega or Voodoo? Stiletto was very light, which I think helped keep the wing loading relatively low even with the extreme clip. If Jimmy were, for example, running 500 or 1000 pounds heavier with that wing, and on a shorter course, results might well be different.

Neal

Comment

Several things were changed on the airplane since the wings were clipped and speeds were actually reduced in level flight with the same power settings. Clipping was not the sole problem.

Michael (Former 232 crew member who has looked at ALL of the data on the airplane)

Comment

September Fury wings were found to be distorted, the aircraft was set up and shot with a transit. In grammer school, they found after the 3rd person repeated the story it was distorted!
        Warbirds45

Comment

Working...
        X