Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for an Update

Originally posted by Wingnut View Post
    Yes, indeed. My best air racing dream is Shockwave landing in the hands of a capable, well-financed team. On paper, it makes all others race for second.
    I know there's some high-hopes that the revamped Race #15- FURIAS will prove to be capable of going head-to-head w/STREGA & RARE BEAR in forthcoming Unlimited Class showdowns. (I'm hopin' so too.)

Obviously, FURIAS is already a raceplane, but it's my humble opinion that SHOCKWAVE represents the more viable formula in producing the ultimate R-4360-powered UNL Gold Trophy winner- capable of 'beating' the likes of STREGA & BEAR (yes- & VOODOO & DAGO RED as well).

Of course, the amount of cash & work yet-required to complete final construction, development & flight test of SHOCKWAVE to get her race-ready, puts this project's competition debut way in the future even if a new buyer stepped-forward today. Nonetheless, she's definately something to look forward to. It's safe to say, that DG & his talented & highly-experienced pals knew what they were doing when they designed & created SHOCKWAVE. Guess we'll see when its' day comes.

For the present, the imminent return of the 'new' FURIAS' will be something to behold, when this super corncobber goes back out on the racecourse to prove its' mettle against the best of the best.

DBD

(AND, I too would also like to see a finished & racing AMERICAN SPIRIT in the future.)

Comment

i talk to John sometimes he comes to my work (Walmart) and he told me a waile back he was having problems with one of the Props he had some vibration problems and he had to send it out to be work on. Shawn

Comment

Beyond flying around pylons with these one-off unlimited racer designs I would like to see one of them, probably Shockwave (prop clearance) flying with a surplus Allison 501 on it's nose. It might be possible to set a new "propeller driven" speed record.
        These turboprop motors (C-130/L-188 Electra) put out 5000 shp and weigh only 2000lbs. I believe that a P&W 3350 weighs about 2700 lbs and the 4360 is a hefty 3900 lbs. I won't even attempt a guess on their race power. Maybe a Tu-114 "Bear" engine with it's contra-rotating props could be used, they weigh 2600 lbs (hp??? I wouldn't believe what the Russian's claim anyway)
        I'm not sure if the 501's dry weight of 2000# also includes it's gearbox but I think it does. Maybe Dailtapper knows? He used to live behind these super reliable motors.
        The "official" record now is 540 mph and will probably be bested with one of these two airframes with the planned round motors but the weight and aerodynamic advantage provided by a giant turboprop would be significant.
        This airframe/powerplant combo would probably get into the scary speed region where some serious head scratching would be needed.

Dennis

Comment

Jackson/Cornell looked to be in the same condition as the newer photo as recently as a year ago, tucked far behind Rare Bear in the Classics hangar. Couldn't get a view from behind the caution tape this year! I overheard a gentleman fielding questions at the Bear pit this year (sorry that I didn't get his name) and he doubted that it would be finished. He mentioned a major dilemma with fitting the nose gear and it and its various components behind the accessory section of the engine. Seems an unlikely oversight for the designers of the project. Can anyone comment on this?
          I figured the nose gear would be attached to a P-51 style engine mount next to engine with side bracing and the nose wheel would be offest from BL 0.00, centerline, similar to A-10. A lot of extra structure & weight, unless structure can be attached to fwd end of engine and the engine case can handle the nose gear loads thru the engine case.

Comment

Two words for you guys......DREADNOUGHT
            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

What's the other one?

Comment

Originally posted by shorebird View Post
                Beyond flying around pylons with these one-off unlimited racer designs I would like to see one of them, probably Shockwave (prop clearance) flying with a surplus Allison 501 on it's nose. It might be possible to set a new "propeller driven" speed record.
                These turboprop motors (C-130/L-188 Electra) put out 5000 shp and weigh only 2000lbs. I believe that a P&W 3350 weighs about 2700 lbs and the 4360 is a hefty 3900 lbs. I won't even attempt a guess on their race power. Maybe a Tu-114 "Bear" engine with it's contra-rotating props could be used, they weigh 2600 lbs (hp??? I wouldn't believe what the Russian's claim anyway)
                I'm not sure if the 501's dry weight of 2000# also includes it's gearbox but I think it does. Maybe Dailtapper knows? He used to live behind these super reliable motors.
                The "official" record now is 540 mph and will probably be bested with one of these two airframes with the planned round motors but the weight and aerodynamic advantage provided by a giant turboprop would be significant.
                This airframe/powerplant combo would probably get into the scary speed region where some serious head scratching would be needed.

Dennis
                Sure don't remember the weight of 501, just that my daughter is name after it. But your recall has allways been better than mine. Big Jim might know, he was a P-3 guy.

The right combo of 3350's do put out more that 4000hp, 2700lbs is about right without looking it up.

DT
                Last edited by Dialtapper; 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I overheard a gentleman fielding questions at the Bear pit this year (sorry that I didn't get his name) and he doubted that it would be finished. He mentioned a major dilemma with fitting the nose gear and it and its various components behind the accessory section of the engine. Seems an unlikely oversight for the designers of the project. Can anyone comment on this?
                  Absolutely no truth to that.

Comment

I took theese about 2 years ago at Stead when American Spirit arrive at stead. Shawn
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Shawn Aro; 01-16-2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X