Why Is Air Racing Relevant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is Air Racing Relevant?

What does air racing mean to you, why is it important and why should their be a future?

Re: Why Is Air Racing Relevant?

Racing is important to me because it showcases the best pilots, and also it helps out the G.A. sector with the likes of IF1, biplane and Sport classes allows the designers at likes of Lycoming, Continental and even the kit designers the chance to push designs and then allow things to be changed for the wider aviation community to benefit with better safety and reliability
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

because....

...it gives us --- the lunatic fringe of general aviation---a vehicle to re-live our wild youth through!

Comment

It's a totally unique race - much like NASCAR of the "olden days" when it could be a struggle to get the car to start the race - there isn't any big corporate sponsorships, it's just hard working men and women working hard for the planes and the sport they love!

Now, having said that, I would love to see corporate sponsorships if it meant the races would continue...or...gasp...expand to other cities!!

Chad
        Go Tsunami!

Comment

I don't think it is "relevant" at all. Does any of the technology spill into mainstream aviation like the old days? Even the cool stuff in the super sport class has a limited use out there, and the F-1, biplane, T-6 and unlimited classes are just improving on mostly 50-60 year old designs.
          BUT, like Chad implied, in these days of big-bucks in everything from Baseball to NASCAR it is probably one of the true sports that is supported by the passion of the participants and fans alone, not by franchising and monster pay-offs.
          It doesn't need to be relevant for us!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Very relevent to the fans, crew and owners that plan their year around mid-Sept.

Inspiring to all who are lucky enough to experience the races.

Relevent to the mainstream Joe and Judy Citizen, no, not really.
            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Being irrelevant does not mean it's not valuable! To we fans it is as important as Mecca...
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Racing things has been a pastime of man throughout its history, having its origins among the prehistoric nomadic tribesmen of Central Asia who first domesticated the horse about 4500 BC, soon after they decided to see who could go the fastest.

People race everything. From swimming to riding lawn mowers, It is something that defines us as a species.

In my opinion Air racing is the pentultimate form of racing. Nothing is faster, Nothing is quite as dangerous (Auto racing has a pretty morbid history, but I think the probability of survival is higher when involved in an incident) nothing is as much the spectacle as is Air Racing.

Racing is relevant becase it represents Man's quest for mastery of its surroundings. Air racing is relevant because it is the representation of that goal being achieved.

Comment

The most relevant portion of air racing currently is the Sport Class, which is increasing performance, design, and efficiencies which will eventually have a trickle-down effect on GA.

Aside from that, it's simply a sport that is fun for the participants and spectators.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                    In my opinion Air racing is the pentultimate form of racing. Nothing is faster, Nothing is quite as dangerous (Auto racing has a pretty morbid history, but I think the probability of survival is higher when involved in an incident) nothing is as much the spectacle as is Air Racing.
                    Do you mean 'ultimate' form of racing?

Penultimate means "second to last".

Comment

To me, Air Racing is a couple of things:

1) Air Racing is the competative man bringing out his bad ass toys, and flexing their prowess...Men with their toys risking their lives, to seeing who can go the fastest. And they are not in it for the money, they are in it cause they love it. It is a very special community.

2) But more immediate to me, it also represent the last of the WWII men and machines that wow'd the world with America's Industrial might that allowed America and her Allies to exit global conflict victoriously. The WWII legacy of the unlimited class, and her men and machines is where I identify with, through the lives my father and many friends lived out, and whom I continue to honor and enjoy via our annual pilgrimage to Reno for the races. I love the NCAR and all that it is, but to me, it's the Warbirds!!! Gimme the Heavy Metal. AND I love the see new young blood involved...thats's awesome...

I hope the NCAR continues, but to me it's clear the Warbirds days are numbered, and that number is getting very small!
                      I'd like to see something spark the next genretation of racers....maybe it's the Sport classes...But I'm sorry, nothing is going to tug at the heart-strings like the Warbirds.!

Comment

Well said guy's, and gal's that will get respond. If you love and live aviation and warbirds, and it's runs deep in your veins, it doesn't get any better than Reno. I would hope we never see the day it ends. Hell, if there was a class for my 185, I'd be there.
                        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                          Do you mean 'ultimate' form of racing?

Penultimate means "second to last".
                          haha. I blame auto-correct on my phone...

Comment

Working...
                          X