Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dago

Originally posted by MRE View Post
    Part of what Big Jim said is true. FT did not buy Dago. The whole thing was ill fated from the beginning. Dago was the fastest Mustang period,and you can thank David Price for the tons of money he spent on the airplane and testing different configurations.
    Faster than Strega is now?

Jarrod

Comment

Cyclic maybe, but when was the last time a full blown super Mustang was built? A LONG, LONG time ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
        Cyclic maybe, but when was the last time a full blown super Mustang was built? A LONG, LONG time ago!!
        Depends on what you mean by "built." If you mean modified from stock, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          In the big picture there are a fair number of Racers we won't see around the pylons again. Some have crashed, some have gone to museums, some have gone back to stock. There have also been a few come back, and a few new entries that spur owners interest and may result in future ventures. It has always been cyclic, Dago's just the latest. Each time one of them leaves the sport, or the competitive list, there is much moaning among us fans of the end of the sport. It changes, but I don't see it ending anytime soon despite the problems facing it.
          What creeps me out about this is that Hacker's joke is proving (somewhat) true. Psychic? In the know? Lucky guess?
          The difference Leo is Dago IS the fastest....Ever. That stings a bit more. I hope Bruce chimes in if he is involved, I can't imagine that plane not racing.

Aren't there enough nice P-51s, both flying and parts, that there is no need in buying and converting a racer, especially the fastest of all time?
          Last edited by wyhdah; 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Anyone have a name of the buyer of Dago, parts, etc from the bank? I think I may know, but haven't completely checked it out.

Larry

Comment

Dago still holds the race average record time and Qual time. If there is something faster out there lets see it. I hear a lot of talking, lets see the data to back it. I say lets get the top 5 planes out there and take them to the Salton Sea and run speed trials in the thick air same day. That would show the true fastest. In a race however, there are more factors. The fastest does not always win. You have to finish to win. Its a shame Dago was blown apart and abandoned in a hanger. The plane should still be out there making a race of it. It would still be a top runner if the Doc was still alive, you could be sure of that.

Matt J

Comment

On another note. If Skip was still in Dago it would be unbeatable unless it broke/ or missed a pylon (sorry Skip!!! Been there). You can take that to the bank!!!

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                  Dago still holds the race average record time and Qual time. If there is something faster out there lets see it. I hear a lot of talking, lets see the data to back it. I say lets get the top 5 planes out there and take them to the Salton Sea and run speed trials in the thick air same day. That would show the true fastest. In a race however, there are more factors. The fastest does not always win. You have to finish to win. Its a shame Dago was blown apart and abandoned in a hanger. The plane should still be out there making a race of it. It would still be a top runner if the Doc was still alive, you could be sure of that.

Matt J
                  I'm saying....Right? TF some other bird.

Comment

One thing that was every bit as critical to the overall sucess of Dago Red as anything else was Bill Kerchenfaut------------

Comment

One thing that was every bit as critical to the overall sucess of Dago Red as anything else was Bill Kerchenfaut------------
                      Amen...I'd take Kerch's 40 years experience over computer data any day.
                      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                        Oh, what the hell do you know?!

SA

Comment

Reading this thread is like scanning the comments of family and friends written in a funeral service guest book....

Sad. I am so very sad.
                          '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

It would be nice if Dan Martin & company bought it. I'm sure he would give it all it needs to be right up there in the Gold race.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

You know several people have shown interest in Dago to return it to racing condition without much success with the Bank. How does someone manage to pay for just a "pile of parts" to make a stocker. I don't understand how the bank went from one extreme to the other without exploring options with those other individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
                                You know several people have shown interest in Dago to return it to racing condition without much success with the Bank. How does someone manage to pay for just a "pile of parts" to make a stocker. I don't understand how the bank went from one extreme to the other without exploring options with those other individuals.
                                Suffice it to say that there were potential buyers out there with every intention of returning the a/c to its former racing glory. For various reasons, however, it just wasn't meant to be. Sad, but true...

SA

Comment

Working...
                                X