F4U Corsair N????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4U Corsair N????

Image up for comments and/or information for you to add...
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: F4U Corsair N????

Don't know a thing about the corsair but, is that a P-61 behind it! Obviously a Lightning beside it.

Comment

The only thing that I can add is that the Corsair and the silver plane are ex-Honduran. If the silver plane is in fact a P-38, it is one of only 12 that were flown by the FAH.
      Tony

Comment

There was a Corsair at mojave in 1979 i never got a close look at it but is this Wally Mcdonnel Corsair at Mojave ? Shawn

Comment

Whose Corsair crashed at the Lancaster,CA Air Races with the loss of the pilot?
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Do you know the date of the photo? My guess is that it is from approx. 1960, and the Corsair is one of the aircraft Bob Bean traded to the FAH in return for their P-38s. This would mean we're not talking about an ex- Honduran F4U-4, but rather one being readied for service. The P-38 in the foreground is one that came from Honduras. Keeping in mind that the Corsairs didn't return to the US until 78-79.

Cool to see this photo by the way. They show a wonderful insight to yesteryear.

For Lockheed Bob:Was that not an FG-1D flown by a Lynn Whinney (Whitney sp?), and possibly owned by Lou Kauffman?

T J

Comment

Wonderful F4U Corsair and P-38 N9005R photos by Mr. Robert D. Archer!

If I may, some historical background about Honduran P-38Ls and F4Us: the Honduran Air Force operated six P-38Ls from 1948 through 1960, two of which were lost in accidents. Sometime in 1958, Honduras decided to increase it’s fleet of ten F4U-5 Corsairs and negotiated with Mr. Robert ‘Bob’ Bean the acquisition of at least sixteen F4U-4s, although for unknown reasons only nine were actually received (traded in return of four P-38Ls, one UC-23A - Lockheed 10 - plus a few other aircraft).

On March 3, 1960, two former Honduran Air Force P-38Ls, serials FAH-503 and FAH-506 (N9005R) of the four acquired by Mr. ‘Bob’ Bean, were flown to the USA (Blythe, CA). Both can be seen in Mr. Archer’s P-38 photo.

I am therefore inclined to believe both photos must have been taken by mid-March, 1960, in which case, the F4U-4 in Mr. Archer’s photo is BuNo. 96995, flown to Honduras on March 24, 1960. This Corsair, serial FAH-614, played an active role during the July 1969 war between Honduras and El Salvador.

Nonetheless, it would be nice to know the exact date both photos were taken.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X