Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapid Travel Ver 2.0 Update

Default Re: Rapid Travel Ver 2.0 Update

I guess that is why the book "God Is My Co-Pilot" was written.There were a lot of strikes against you & I'm glad you are still with us. I couldn't believe it when you walked up on the stage at the awards banquet & said you were OK. Take care & the best to you & family.
    Lockheed Bob

I was at the far east end of the grand stands and had a pretty good view of the whole incident. At the very instant the announcers made the claim that he was standing on top of the aircraft waiving to the crowd, he certainly was not. At that very instant, he was walking with arms over the shoulders of two rescue personnel near the ambulance. It could be possible he waived when he first got extracted but if he did the group of people I was with never saw it. Until I see a picture, I'm of the opinion this is just another case of the announcers making things up.

Bryan

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes and comments. I want to try to put this into perspective from a brother and crew members' point-of-view. All of the Rapid Travel's crew members were near the pits at the west end of runway 26 when George made the turn onto final...as he approached the runway he went completely out of sight due to the curvature of the runway. We did not see the crash, we could not hear the announcers from our location and we were essentially in the dark over what had just happened. Jim Adams was standing in the bed of his truck and saw the left wing-tip for an instant and the cloud of dust that resulted. By rule, the crew is not allowed to go out onto the runway or taxi-ways, even in the case of an accident like this, and Air Race staff and safety personnel have the responsibility to be the first responders (as it should be). You can't imagine how we felt at that time, not knowing the extent of what had just happened and not being in a position to physically respond! Once we heard what had happened, our concern shifted to George's condition and to Patsy, George's wife. To give you some insight into George's state of mind immediately after the crash, one of the first things he did after being helped out of the wreckage, was to call Patsy on his cell phone to tell her that he was OK!!! We learned later that he had waved to the crowd.

scariest thing in that video are the last few frames with all the gasoline pouring into the grass...

So there is some truth about the wave and the cell phone call. What an amazing story!
    Last edited by Ken from PG; 11-12-2010 at 02:18 AM.

After the accident, were the wings removed at a connecting point (unbolted...), or were they cut off with like a sawzal so the plane would fit inside the trailer. Is it considered a total loss, never to fly again...?

Here's a video of the plane in the trailer and an interview with the pilot http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-0921...0,646191.story

That news story replayed the accident 10 times in 2.20. Talk about obsessive compulsive behavior from the editor...
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-18-2010 at 07:21 PM.

These are the pictures I took of the event. I sent a disk to George that has all of these on it. As it has been said....Frank took huge liberty. The east end of the stands started cheering because he was walking, albeit with help to the the ambulance. He heard the cheering and made the standing on the wing and waving comment because.....Well, that is Frank!

http://gallery.me.com/deltahotel/100061

Dave

Btw...I showed these pics, on my camera to George in Parker's hanger not even 2 hours after, and I believe it was the first time he had seen any picture.

Great picture sequence and very educational for the rest of us Thunder Mustang owners. I can see how hard the impact of the spinner and engine pod planted in the dirt. Wing structure ending up almost intact was amazing.

Thanks for posting this

Cloudchaser

Dave: Thank you for putting these photos up! This is the only sequence we have seen that had any photos of George with the Emergency Response crew at the scene as they helped him off the field and into the Aid Unit. As a crew member I could not see any of this as it transpired and your amazing photos filled in the missing gaps. Once again thank you very much!

Dave

Are those the pilots legs, or right leg, (looks like a white flight suit), you see in this picture here: http://gallery.me.com/deltahotel#100...&bgcolor=black

and this one you can see his two feet in black shoes?
    http://gallery.me.com/deltahotel#100...&bgcolor=black

Nice sequence of photos. Way to keep the trigger down and firing.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 12-02-2010 at 09:47 PM.