Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cosmic Winds

Hi golfoscarwhisky,

Do you have any more information on this restoration project?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      Fantastic! The Cosmic Wind's were hands-down the sexiest of the Goodyear Trophy racers...incredibly elegant looking. A few years back one of them was in the same hangar as the B-17 Sally B over at Duxford. I was almost as excited to look at it as the B-17!
      Neal is right...in the background of that first picture there is a P-63, a P-51, and two Navions...just enough to make me drool.
      Since when did P-51s have 2 blades?

Is that a BT-13 or a T-6...?
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by nec View Post
        Hi golfoscarwhisky,

Do you have any more information on this restoration project?
        The plane was sold today to Tom who will be trucking it to Wichita. It was in the estate of Jack Wallace of Westlake Village, CA. Jack was a test pilot for Douglas and a captain for TWA for 33 years. He worked on this plane until 1987, when he bought an RV-3, flying out of Camarillo, CA. The plane and assorted jigs, fixtures, patterns, form blocks, etc. were amazing - the fuse fixture felt heavy enough to have been built of a piece of railroad track. The hand formed aluminum air intake and wing tips were things of beauty. As I understand it, this will be #5 of planes built from production parts.

An article on Jack's career is on page 4 of this newsletter.

Today's photos of the plane.

-glen

Comment

Originally posted by golfoscarwhisky View Post
          The plane was sold today to Tom who will be trucking it to Wichita. It was in the estate of Jack Wallace of Westlake Village, CA. Jack was a test pilot for Douglas and a captain for TWA for 33 years. He worked on this plane until 1987, when he bought an RV-3, flying out of Camarillo, CA. The plane and assorted jigs, fixtures, patterns, form blocks, etc. were amazing - the fuse fixture felt heavy enough to have been built of a piece of railroad track. The hand formed aluminum air intake and wing tips were things of beauty. As I understand it, this will be #5 of planes built from production parts.

An article on Jack's career is on page 4 of this newsletter.

Today's photos of the plane.

-glen
          The Cosmic Wind project is safe in storage in Wichita. On the way there it picked up a trophy at the Majove Experim9 Flying. Thanks Justin and Elliott!
          Tom

Comment

Cosmic wind photos
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X