World War II Aviation Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II Aviation Photos

We've just finished putting up a very interesting collection of WWII aviation photos on the bobhannah.com website for Bob..

85 pictures by an Army Air Corp photographer who is, unfortunately, no longer with us but who passed his collection on to his nephew, who passed it onto Bob for his website..

Interesting stuff..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Nice Collection

Great pix...man, I can just hear the props overhead seeing all those guys in formation. Sad the photographer is gone, but a lasting memory to share with us.
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Makes ya wonder, how many boxes of this sort of stuff sit buried in attics and basements across the country. Sad that these fellows go and their stories don't get told. Most are too modest to talk much about it but I suspect, it took just as large a gonies to ride on those missions with a camera in hand is it did with a gun.. maybe even bigger!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah, your right about modest. My stepdad was a combat engineer/scout in the big red 1 that hit Normandy June of '44. In the 30 odd years I have known him all I got was that Private Ryan was the way he saw it at 18 years old. His driver of the landing craft wouldn't beach the boat and a lot of his buddy's couldn't swim with 60 pounds of pack on their back and drowned before they hit the beach. Then a little latter he was in the battle of the bulge and spent 50 plus days without changing clothes or socks or taking a shower in one of Germany's worst winters....and that was told pretty well told in the Band of Brothers he said....He wonders why he made it through, while God fearing kids he knew didn't.
        Randy Rheinschild
        www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Yep.. it's up to our generation to tell their stories. I truly believe that and I also believe it's up to us to keep the memories alive in the airplanes that they flew..

Now.. I gotta get some sleep! That sucker took me all night and all morning to get done! It's after six am here and I've not slept and gotta get my rear in gear and off to Reno in a day and a half... zzzzz...

Needless to say.. the POTW will be a bit late again this week.. I'll see if I can get permission to run one of the few that were large enough for that purpose from the gallery on Bob's site..

G'night...

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

potw IS FINE WITH US NOW.

Us Risky Watchers are fine with the current POTW!
            Randy Rheinschild
            www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

B-17 photos

The damage shots of the B-17's are really unbelievable. The pounding they could take and still make it back is amazing.

Comment

Working...
              X