X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss Ashley II

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
    It's a few years out but there is an ash2 clone being built in Texas now

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Did I read that correctly??

Comment

This should be an interesting explanation....someone pass the popcorn.

Comment

I did some sleuthing. Keep in mind I am just connecting some random info from the interwebs which can be meaningful, or completely meaningless.

Vlado said on 2/09/12: "Had the following come across my desk today. I don't know any more. Just curious:

"Two H Model Mustangs at a warbird restoration company in Dennison TX. With D Model Mustang in the shop at this time. Griffin powered racer under construction. "

VL"

Ken Williams said on 10/3/2011: "P-51H survivors. There are two H-Model aircraft now located in Red Oak texas. The first aircraft was recovered from a mountain in Arizona in the 90's, serial number 44-64697, and the second aircraft we just purchased in California last week serial number 44-64268. Like most restoration projects we are looking for parts if anyone has them.
          Ken Williams"

RW AIRFRAMES, INC
          227 Woodruff Road, #3
          Denison, Texas 75020
          Bldg. 5513
          Contact Terry Rogers
          *removed number*
          Contact Ken Williams
          *removed number*
          Restoration, Maintenance & Paint
          From Fighters To Freighters
          Last edited by W J Pearce; 08-12-2012, 11:03 AM.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

A post like that in February 2012 makes me a bit happier since I thought this was a long way off. Ideas of remaking a "racer" out of H models after the accident last year gives me very high hopes! If all said info is partially true...
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Assuming the info is true, I think the Hs and the racer are separate projects. As in four projects listed: two H projects, one D project, and one Griffin racer project. Seems like a lot of corroborative info, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

But projects can take a long time. Look at John Morgan and his XP-51G and, ahem, Terry Rogers (Bill's brother) and his RB-51 rebuild.

I really do hope this is true and something that is obtainable. I get school-girl giddy (not in the Quagmire sense) when I think about some of the projects underway... P-61, P-82s, these P-51 Hs, Sabre Tempest, DH Hornet, misc mystery projects... even the Texas Potez has got me going.
              Last edited by W J Pearce; 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I may be totally off base, but, I have heard that there is someone in Texas that is interested in that type of aircraft (Griffon, counter rotating props, etc.). Funding would not be a problem and the infastructure is there.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                  Terry Rogers (Bill's brother) and his RB-51 rebuild.
                  The RB-51 'rebuild' was never much of an airframe so much as part of the fuselage skin and a bunch of parts, was sold by Rogers at least a decade ago to Brad Sherk in Indiana. Brad had intended on using the parts to work on an A Model Mustang that he supposedly had in the works.

Last I heard is that Pacific Fighters is in ownership of the majority of the remaining RB-51 parts and that John Muszala wants to 'rebuild/restore/replicate' the Red Baron, but that it would take a big check with a lot of zero's on the end of it to actually make it happen.

But who knows...stranger things have happened.

Comment

Boy at 80 years old I will have to make it another 10 years to see all this happen. I was just looking at the black & white photo I took of the "Galloping Ghost" I took as a kid at the Cleveland Air Races. I think it was 1948.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

the wing is already built up and modified , ill try to get by and get some pics, yes there are a few stock projects in the hanger also, he also has a few f1 planes in the hanger that should make reno 2013

Comment

the wing is already built up and modified , ill try to get by and get some pics, yes there are a few stock projects in the hanger also, he also has a few f1 planes in the hanger that should make reno 2013
                        The wing of...? Im so confused but INSANELY EXCITED at the same time!!!!!!!
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Six chunky propeller blade tips approaching sonic rather than four or three.

Makes one wonder if Strega's set up is the optimal one these days?
                          If so, that may have been the most fortunate landing accident in the history of Reno

Comment

Would it need to be an RB-51 replica, as the N number (and I assume data plate) is carried by Hinton's Wee Willy.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I think they mean "clone" more than replica. Similar, but not exact.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                                I did some sleuthing. Keep in mind I am just connecting some random info from the interwebs which can be meaningful, or completely meaningless.

Vlado said on 2/09/12: "Had the following come across my desk today. I don't know any more. Just curious:

"Two H Model Mustangs at a warbird restoration company in Dennison TX. With D Model Mustang in the shop at this time. Griffin powered racer under construction. "

VL"

Ken Williams said on 10/3/2011: "P-51H survivors. There are two H-Model aircraft now located in Red Oak texas. The first aircraft was recovered from a mountain in Arizona in the 90's, serial number 44-64697, and the second aircraft we just purchased in California last week serial number 44-64268. Like most restoration projects we are looking for parts if anyone has them.
                                Ken Williams"

RW AIRFRAMES, INC
                                227 Woodruff Road, #3
                                Denison, Texas 75020
                                Bldg. 5513
                                Contact Terry Rogers
                                *removed number*
                                Contact Ken Williams
                                *removed number*
                                Restoration, Maintenance & Paint
                                From Fighters To Freighters
                                I believe the AZ recovery was done by Mike Dillion with a helicopter. If it is Mike originally went in with a fellow that said he could pack anything out with a pack of mules, took one look at the wreck and said... uhm, I was wrong, Mike decided to leave the engine and take the rest out with a helicopter. saw the remains in a hangar at Falcon Field at one point, supposedly it was purchased by a couple of airline pilots that realized they were over their heads and were looking to sell it.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Working...
                                X