X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cherry Bomb?

Originally posted by capjessop View Post
    My buddy showed me this on Dago Red's Wikipedia page:

"Frank Taylor is currently preparing Dago Red to break the world record in the 3 km, in mid-2010. Along with Dago Red, Frank Taylor is thought to be preparing another race p-51 named "Cherry Bomb" based out of Sidney, MT."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dago_Red
    And if you look at the revision history, the last sentence was added at 3:26AM (and revised at 3:29AM) 10/11/10. I'm calling B.S. on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
      And if you look at the revision history, the last sentence was added at 3:26AM (and revised at 3:29AM) 10/11/10. I'm calling B.S. on this one.
      Exactly....
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        Frank Taylor is the guy who ponied up the bucks in the winter of 1981 to have Tiger Destefani build Dago Red. In 1982, after winning at Reno, he bought out his partnership with Tiger and was the sole owner of Dago Red from '83-'86. He is the current holder of the 15km speed record at 517 mph, set at Mojave in 1983. Taylor also owned a Top Fuel dragster that ran on the NHRA circuit for a few years, winning a few races and setting some speed records at the same time.

Due to some personal issues, the aircraft ownership was transferred to Alan Preston in 1986....but for many years Taylor had been trying to buy Dago Red back. In 2009 he and a group of partners purchased Dago Red from the Costo family, disassembled the airframe at Chino for inspection and repair, with the intent of rebuilding it and going after the 3km speed record currently held by Lyle Shelton...then donating the racer to the Smithsonian.

Unfortunately, the prior owners of Dago Red failed to pay off the original loan for Dago Red, and it was repossessed by the bank...essentially taking it away from Taylor and his group.

That is who Frank Taylor is.

Didnt he have the Harras P-38 at some time back in 82 ? shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
          Exactly....

Maybe it's the P-51 'in the barn' that h34race was telling us about. The old man decided to give her a new paint job and take her for a ride.

Besides...anyone worth their salt would go no further than the RARA Unlimited Division to find that race #4 was actually given to Jerry Gabe's Polar Bear for 2010...so I guess Cherry Bum would need to repaint the tail, eh?

Comment

Paul Mantz had a red P51(Early model) but it wasn't #4. I thought someone had it & was going to get it flying again? Mustangs/Mustangs should have some info.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bob,
              Paul Mantz' airplanes are well spoken for, NX1202 was sold to Charlie Blair in 1950 and it's in the Smithsonian. Kermit Weeks bought NX1204 and made it into another Red Tail airplane while throwing all of the Bendix stuff into the dumpster.
              Chris...

Comment

Thanks for the history lesson Big Jim. This stuff is great!!

I might be in SDY in the next week or so, I'll see what I can dig up...
                Remember: No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft, and no smoking within 8 hours!

Comment

Think Cherry Bomb will make a surprise appearance at the 50th in 50 days?

Funny how these pudknockers disappeared so fast.....and how the Wikipedia page for Dago Red was returned to it's regular programming.

Comment

I saw the plane he is talking about. You can't miss it, it is parked next to the Sabre engined Typhoon that is being prepared to race and right in front of the B-32 that was recently brought back from the far side of the moon. They are all in a very large barn. Can't miss it, just go into town and turn left, then right, then two more lefts, one u turn, a y turn and then two more rights, show your magic decoder ring to the guard and he will let you into the barn. I would have taken pics, but my camera broke, was out of batteries, forgot to take the lens cap off, by accident erased the pics, lost the memory card, was too dark to get good pics, or too bright to get good pics........

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
                      I saw the plane he is talking about. You can't miss it, it is parked next to the Sabre engined Typhoon that is being prepared to race and right in front of the B-32 that was recently brought back from the far side of the moon. They are all in a very large barn. Can't miss it, just go into town and turn left, then right, then two more lefts, one u turn, a y turn and then two more rights, show your magic decoder ring to the guard and he will let you into the barn. I would have taken pics, but my camera broke, was out of batteries, forgot to take the lens cap off, by accident erased the pics, lost the memory card, was too dark to get good pics, or too bright to get good pics........
                      Didn't your Dog Eat the Memory Card?

Comment

Working...
                      X