Thunder over Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder over Reno

Just checked Amazon (and ended up buying a copy). Cloud Dancer seems to be available used for less than $20 (VHS). I was living in the area when they shot that movie and remeber driving with some friends to Falcon Field to see if we could see any of the movie being made.

I mostly like the movie, but more in a "B movie" sort of way. As i remember there was an evil drug lord with a P-51 shooting people down and David Carridine defeated him by geting him to fly to slow and spin into the ground.

Now you don't see that in a movie these days!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Even mega hottie Natashia Yi couldn't save that turkey of a movie. After a while I just ffw'ed it to the aerial scenes.

Comment

I recently showed this movie to a friend that asked me about the air races. I did warn about the acting...he was much less of a critic than most of us have been.

On the other hand, it has motivated him to come to Reno next year to check out the 'worlds fastest motorsport' in person.

LP

Comment

Yeah, T.O.R. did have some corny acting and the story line wasn't all that great, but I thought the flying scenes were awesome! Bob Odegaard did an outstanding job of "out acting" the "pro's". I thought he did a great job! I agree the opening scene of Voodoo taking off was worth the price of the movie. I studied acting under Jan Arvan and I agree that the acting of the main character was pretty shamefull, but I enjoyed the movie.

I agree with AirDOGGEe that just a little more work on the screenplay and maybe a different main actor and T.O.R. could have been a good movie and ready for theaters. The story line wasn't really all that bad compaired to a lot of the other movies that are out there. I also agree with Wayne that it would be difficult to fund another movie about air racing with the way most folks bashed this effort. (I'm a little guilty too, I know). The acting wasn't much better than on Airwolf or the Six Million Dollar Man, and they both filmed episodes around the air races. Don't be so hard. It is what it is.

Eldon, I have all the episodes of Black Sheep on DVD! You should be able to find them used online by now, there's two DVD sets. Suncoast should have them in their T.V. section. Or Dimple might have them used. It's great to re-live all those episodes! I even have a Bull Terrier named Meatball (same kind of dog as on Black Sheep, how nerdy is that)?!!

Race 29
          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
            Just so you know, that website sells bootleg DVD's of movies. I'm guessing that their version is probably taken from the VHS which WAS released back in 1991. That is now out of print and quite rare. "Cloud Dancer" has never been officially released on DVD or Blu-ray.

Anytime you find a movie or t.v. series, such as "Twelve O' Clock High" on DVD, which has never been released in that format, it should raise "red warning flags".

From the website mentioned above:

"Which, because we only offer older and discontinued titles, in a lot of cases cannot compete with the digital DVD quality of movies made today, so please do not expect "PERFECT" quality. "

If this doesn't scream "illegal bootleg", I don't know what does.
            Do your research next time pal. Twelve O' Clock high is on DVD, it is part of the Criterion Collection.

Welcome to the site offering the Highest Quality 12 O'clock High TV series DVDs your money can buy. Robert Lansing and Paul Burke starred in the thinking man's war series and this site covers the 918th bomb group missions over germany from 1942-1943. If it's 12 'Oclock High, it's here...

Comment

Originally posted by degroodtt View Post
              Now if you want a real good aviation movie try Test Pilot with Clark Gable and Spencer Tracey. For 1938 the special affects suck by todays standards, but what a movie.
              I haven't seen it in a while, but isn't that the one that was filmed at the 1938 Cleveland Air Races? Has Art Chester's Goon, the Brown "Miss Los Angeles", and stuff?

Comment

There's an old Robert Stack movie about air racing I have been waiting to crop up on AMC...
                I'll grab a stick and beat the horse some more. I didn't expect a lot out of TOR, having been downtown for the parade scene and meeting the actors. That said, it has some plain AWESOME filming in it.
                I copied my Cloud Dancer VHS to disc so i wouldn't wear it out, (it's getting a little grainy with age and use). It is still one of my favorites. the ending is corny and Kung-Fu Caine's acting gets wooden at times (Augie, well, Augie has...a...handicap...) but it to has some really great scenes in it. And it's sappy enough that my wife likes it.
                Maybe someday someone will try it again. But with the results of movies like Pearl Harbor, I don't give it much of a chance!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Don't forget the movie Wings of Fire........I think it was a made for TV movie back in the early 60's, P-51 and a Bearcat were the stars, as far as I was concerned.....although Suzanne Pleshette was always easy on the eyes.......a very beautiful lady. I don't know if that movie was ever on VHS or DVD, haven't seen it in years.
                  Brian

Comment

Just ordered BAA BAA Blacksheep season 1. The movie Always is also good, love the opening when they buzz the fishing boat. Crank the Surrond Sound up for that one. Then there is Top Gun... Blue Ray sounds great on that. Just hit the brakes and he will fly right by.

Comment

BaaBaa Blacksheep is a great example of what hollywood does. There is literally NO correct history in it, kind of surprising to me as Pappy was the consultant. Well, maybe that's how HE remembered some of it!
                      And once they added "Pappy's Kittens" or whatever they called the hot nurses, you could tell the series was doomed.
                      That said I was a huge fan and still love the show for what it was.
                      Ahhh, Robert Culp as the arrogant Air force officer in P-38's...best episode!
                      I'm still looking for a copy of the Catch-22 series pilot back around 73. I had done chores to stay up for it, made popcorn, bought soda and saw it start. My mom then proceded to catch the kitchen on fire that evening...never saw the rest. I heard it was forgettable but still want to see it!
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by eldon2101 View Post
                        The movie Always is also good, love the opening when they buzz the fishing boat. Crank the Surrond Sound up for that one.

Repeat post of something I put on WIX a few weeks back, but appropriate, none-the-less:

Such a fun movie to watch in the theater. Also has some very memorable scenes. One of my favorites is the monologue that Al (John Goodman) gives to Pete (Richard Dreyfuss) after his two-engine-out landing.

"What this place reminds me of is the war in Europe....which I PERSONALLY was never at, but if you think about it: the beer's warm, the dance hall's a Quanset, there's B-26's outside, hotshot pilots inside, an airstrip in the woods...it's ENGLAND, man! Everything but Glenn Miller!

Except, we go to burning places and bomb them until they stop burning.

You see, Pete...there's no war here. This is why they don't make movies called "Night Raid to Boise", or "Firefighter's Strike at Dawn"....and this is why you're not exactly a hero for taking these chances.

You're more of what I would call......a d*ckhead."

Comment

And of couse, as the engines die:
                          "What do you need Pete?"
                          "Glider Practice"
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Every serious air race video collector should add "Gypsy Angels" to their collection. Other than horribly corny, technically inaccurate, and sensationalized for the big screen it is worth watching if for no other reason than some good T6 action and Vanna White boob shots (maybe I should say "breast" since "boob" is not very definitive in this case). For an airplane nut, it is not too bad of a B (or C) movie.

Comment

You may recall my commentary on ToR included in "Rare Air '07". I won't say I told you so, just that it shouldn't have surprised anyone that the movie belonged on MST3K.

$
                              "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                              Martin Caidin

Comment

[QUOTE][it is not too bad of a B (or C) movie/QUOTE]
                                Another Vanna White comment?

i'll have to look for it.
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X