Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder over Reno

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
    Do your research next time pal. Twelve O' Clock high is on DVD, it is part of the Criterion Collection.

http://www.12oclockhightv.com/
    Um, Tim, you're the one who needs to do your research! Just because something is for sale on the internet doesn't mean it's an official release. That website is nothing but a bunch of episodes, recorded off of t.v. onto VHS and encoded onto DVD. Anybody can make professional looking menu's like they did, even a 7 year old.

Criterion is NOT part of Twentieth Century Fox, who owns the rights to the series. You can verify what I said by going to either the IMDb website or the official Twentieth Century Fox home entertainment website where you can view everything that's been officially released.

By the way, that website just SCREAMS bootleg! Do you really think an official release would have the "Good Life" t.v. network logo on the screen, like that example they show? That's the television source from which this was recorded. Also, official releases aren't distributed in DVD+R format, which is a burned format on a home computer. With the exception of a few releases distributed by the History Channel a few years ago, I've never heard of a studio NOT releasing something on a pressed DVD. It may happen, but it's extremely rare and not common at all.

In addition, it states that there are two episodes per disc. That's about right for a single layer home burnt DVD at low bitrate encoding (which this is). A professional release would have many more episodes per disc. The reason is that official releases use the Master film/video sources. Because they use the Master sources, there is much less noise and "dirty" video, which eats up bandwidth during the encoding process like crazy. So, you use a "clean" source, and professional encoding hardware, which is much more efficient, and you can put more on per disc and still have it come out visually excellent, just like it came from the Master source.

Also, that Criterion collection has a region code of "0", which means "all region". Most television studios would put some kind of region code on it, especially if it wasn't a worldwide distribution, which this series probably would NOT be.

I have another piece of advice as well. Bootlegs are prevalent throughout the internet. You can even find "official" distribution channels like Amazon.com selling them. Amazon has literally millions of products and vendors. They don't have the time, resources, or manpower to verify everything they sell, so things do slip through the cracks from time to time. My advice is to research your product before you buy. Find out it if has been officially released. If it hasn't, then chances are it's a bootleg.

BTW, I bought those discs from Criterion many years ago before I had the knowledge that I do know. It was a HUGE ripoff! They are all extremely poor quality and look like 4th or 5th generation VHS's recorded from the 1980's. I was extremely disappointed in the set and it was a huge waste of money. Please don't support the bootleggers. Wait until this comes out officially. Trust me, it will at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      BaaBaa Blacksheep is a great example of what hollywood does. There is literally NO correct history in it, kind of surprising to me as Pappy was the consultant. Well, maybe that's how HE remembered some of it!
      And once they added "Pappy's Kittens" or whatever they called the hot nurses, you could tell the series was doomed.
      That said I was a huge fan and still love the show for what it was.
      Ahhh, Robert Culp as the arrogant Air force officer in P-38's...best episode!
      I'm still looking for a copy of the Catch-22 series pilot back around 73. I had done chores to stay up for it, made popcorn, bought soda and saw it start. My mom then proceded to catch the kitchen on fire that evening...never saw the rest. I heard it was forgettable but still want to see it!
      I asked Pappy about that aspect of it at an airshow back in the late 70's/early 80's. He said that the series was "Hollywood" and nothing about it was accurate except that they used Corsairs. He said basically words to the effect that "it paid the bills". You have to remember, that after the war and many years after, Pappy had a rough time as he floated from job to job and had a very unstable life. Add to this his many personal demons such as alcoholism, and it's easy to see why he "sold out" to the series. For him, it was pure and simple - it was all about the money - nothing else!

Comment

My mistake then. I always thought that Criterion was one of the gold standards. They were way back in the Laserdisc days at least.

Comment

My mistake then. I always thought that Criterion was one of the gold standards. They were way back in the Laserdisc days at least.
          No problem, Tim. It's an easy mistake to make as they suckered me in a few years ago also! In searching their website, I notice there is no information regarding where they are located, a phone contact number or anything. Perhaps this might mean they are not a legitimate company and might be a different "Criterion" company than the one you are thinking of.

Comment

This is the official website for Criterion, these guys are very well known for stellar stuff from the old Laserdiscs to now Blu-Ray.

Comment

This is the official website for Criterion, these guys are very well known for stellar stuff from the old Laserdiscs to now Blu-Ray.

http://www.criterion.com/
              Yes, it looks like they do put out quality products. That website is a different "Criterion" than the one in the "Twelve O'Clock High" series link. It looks like only the name is common between the two of them.

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

[QUOTE=Leo;83441]
                [it is not too bad of a B (or C) movie/QUOTE]
                Another Vanna White comment?

i'll have to look for it.
                It's a younger Vanna White. In that context it would be "A (or B)". LOL

Comment

I rented the Days of Heaven on Blu-ray from Block Buster and it is a Criterion.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    I haven't seen it in a while, but isn't that the one that was filmed at the 1938 Cleveland Air Races? Has Art Chester's Goon, the Brown "Miss Los Angeles", and stuff?
                    Yes Test Pilot is that Movie. Had some good shots of actual crowd and some racing. It also has special effects that included planes going around pylons and you could see the sticks going from the wing tips to ??? maybe the props guy that was flying them from under the table.

Last edited by degroodtt; 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                      Anyway, just being honest, Wayne. Robert Odegaard had little to nothing to do with the poor acting in TOR. That was the fault of the actors. With the right people in front of the cams and a little more work on the screenplay I believe it could have been much better.
                      I disagree on the point that Robert was a Senior Executive Producer... meaning, he was signing the majority of checks. I think the screenplay was solid, in the end, it truly was the acting, in my opinion, that brought the production to where it wound up.

There were moments, particularly, between Butch and his Dad, in one scene early in the movie, which were priceless in their believability..

Granted, from there, it went where it went.

Just pointing out that Odegaard had more control than you would think, since he was, largely, the money guy and had a lot of pull.

I still like it and count it as a favorite, if not "cult favorite"..

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
                        Good find Sully! I just ordered it.. we'll see how good it is delivered and what shape the disk is in.. but, again.. GOOD FIND! Many of us have been looking to find a copy of this classic!

Particularly, since Jimmy sold his beloved airplane to finance THe Galloping Ghost project..

We should all "Fear The Ghost"!!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          I disagree on the point that Robert was a Senior Executive Producer... meaning, he was signing the majority of checks. I think the screenplay was solid, in the end, it truly was the acting, in my opinion, that brought the production to where it wound up.

There were moments, particularly, between Butch and his Dad, in one scene early in the movie, which were priceless in their believability..

Granted, from there, it went where it went.

Just pointing out that Odegaard had more control than you would think, since he was, largely, the money guy and had a lot of pull.

Yes, but I don't believe he selected the actors. That's the job of casting. And of course, with limited funds the choice of available actors also becomes far more restricted. As I said, I'm sure he did the best he could with what he had to work with.

Please let us know of the quality of that C-Dancer DVD when you receive it. That WAS a good find if it's watchable.

Comment

Working...
                          X