Photo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Question

What program is easy to use to remove dust spots from pictures?

Re: Photo Question

Originally posted by airtj View Post
    What program is easy to use to remove dust spots from pictures?
    What camera?

I don't think there is any program that can find and remove automatically.. Photoshop will allow you to "clone" an adjacent area that is not dusty and replace the dust.. usually looks pretty good..

Nikon has the option to shoot a dust reference photo and it will do it automatically from there but you have to shoot that reference photo and it only works for those spots which are there from the current state of the chip..

Best way is to just keep the chip clean DAILY.. I use a brush (sensor sweep) and it seems to work very well...
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne has a great point about Photoshop, clone tool is great, if you are shooting a later model canon DSLR then Canon Digital Photo Professional has a function in it to help remove dust by looking at the pixels around the area, and also similar to nikon have a function to take a reference image and DPP will take that image and reference it.

But Wayne is right, keep it clean each day, and another little tip is to turn the power off when you change lenses as it helps reduce static in the mirror chamber. ( i do this religously and have only ever had to have 2 major sensor cleans)
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I use Lightroom presently for my sorting and exporting needs.

It has a "repair" feature that functions in a number of ways - one of which is clone stamping. It's located in the upper right of the LR window when the "develop" menu is selected. It may also be selected by using the keyboard shortcut 'N' in that mode.

The brush is circular and may be adjusted in diameter using whatever scrollwheel tool you have in your user interface.

To use, set the diameter of the cursor, place over the dust spot so that there's a little extra diameter of cursor over the spot and click. Done! Repeat as necessary until all dust is eliminated.

If you make a mistake or don't like what you've done, type Command (Apple) or Control (PC) + Z to undo the step.

The attached images show what it looks like on the Apple platform.

HTH,

TZW
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TwoZeroWest; 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM.

Comment

The Camera is a Nikon D70 S. I try to keep the lens clean but every time I take it to Reno some how I always end up with dust that I cant remove. I hate it because it takes a long time to edit the pictures I've taken their.

Comment

Working...
          X