Gold Cancelled to winds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gold Cancelled to winds

During the 30 minute delay AWOS was 210 at 24 Gust 28.

I am sure the expiration of the FAA waiver was an issue.

Tj
    Tom Johnson,
    Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
    www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Anyone that was not at Stead today would think that this was a bad result, but if you were there you would have understood.

The wind was blowing a steady 30mph gusting to 40 in a direction that would have been a crosswind for either runway. The two tailwheel airplanes that started the Super Sport race did not successfully land the aircraft, and George honestly did not have a safe option for landing his plane dead stick. The crash was very scary to watch and happened not 5 minutes before the Unlimited introductions.

If that wasn't enough, the ONLY people I witnessed discussing whether to fly or not was the PILOTS of the unlimiteds. With a blown engine in one of those airplanes things would have been seriously dangerous. Additionally, if the race did go on it wouldn't have been a real all out Unlimited gold race. The winds and turbulence would have made it unsafe to even fly the course at the speeds these guys are pushing.

As a pilot, I believe they absolutely made the correct decision today. As much as I love the races, I care more about continuing to see my favorite race planes and pilots tear up the sky in the years to come.

Comment

I was very dissapointed that they weren't able to race, but I applaud their decsion NOT to. During the introduction, I kept thinking, this is NOT GOOD, someone is going to get hurt. The wind was gusting past 40 and was 45-90 degrees to all runways. In my opinion, if someone would have had a mayday in that strong of a wind, they would have had more then their hands full trying to get on the ground in one piece. I again, was saddened, but at the same time, very glad the pilots decided not to fly.........and from what I heard, everyone seated around me felt the same way. If any of the team members read this........don't worry about disapppointing the fans......we'll be back next year to watch you.
        Brian

Comment

Bench racing for 365 days could be tough! Maybe we could have an honest status report from each of the Unlimited Gold racers. How much power were each of the planes capable of making prior to the race today. Can any of the teams say they could challenge Strega's speed?
          Last edited by Hans Oberev; 09-19-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gorace71 View Post
            They didn't cancel soon enough. Ask George Giboney who is now out of an airplane. George is one of the great guys running at Reno, but he faced an almost impossible position when his engine quit.

Super Sports is down two aircraft and they didn't have enough to start with this year. Kevin will find a way to get back, but it took John Parker two years to completely build a new aircraft and I don't know if there are any kits left.

At least the Unlimited got out without a scratch.

BP
            There is a Thunder Mustang sitting partially built in a hangar at my airport (M54-Lebanon, TN), hasn't been touched in a few years. It could probably be bought.

Sam
            Last edited by flyboycpa; 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM.
            Biplane Race #3

Comment

I was disappointed of course, but sitting in the parking lot after the wind was some of the worst I have seen there. Pondering it, there really was no runway thet would have been "easily" available in a mayday, the sport crash showed just how difficult it would have been to get from the back of the course to the only runway even marginally useable. They done good.

Next year.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

This could have been a GREAT Gold seeing if Voodoo and Ghost could have poured it on and wound up front or near and whether Bear or Strega would hold up all out even without any Sea Furies to contend but all to no avail for this year.

However I feel very Strongly that RARA OWES us for not giving us the big show most of us came for: Unlimited Gold.

I would suggest and request that all who care phone RARA and demand free admission or at least a BIG discount on tickets next year. Please.

We waited a year or most of us did and no Gold is like having 50% of what I paid and waited for.

Bill K

Comment

I tend to disagree with most here,
                  I flew out here 1450 miles from the east and all weather sources were calling for 20 to 30 knot winds Sunday afternoon in Stead.(at least 5 days out).
                  I can watch the snow birds, thunderbirds, cubs landing on cars, and other military aircraft at Oshkosh in my back yard or any other airshow in the country. But what i travel 1450 miles for is the Unlimited Gold Race on Sunday.
                  Now before you all get mad at me, just listen a bit.
                  The aircraft i fly are not highly modified warbirds to and past the limit, so if the pilots decided not to fly due to safety concerns on the wind with this very safe sport then i respect their decision as a pilot and don't want anyone forcing any civilian pilot to fly if they think they are uncomfortable about their saftey. I due question if all of the pilots felt it unsafe, but i have no proof to tell me the opposite!

My real "beef" is with the decision person/ persons who runs this event and schedule. With even one of the annoucers saying at 10:30am on Sunday that the winds will pick up after 3pm, and with the forcast for days talking about this wind coming. Someone, please tell me why they couldn't at least move up the gold race a couple of hours when the winds were less, knowing that we can't race the planes now when the winds are more than 30 miles/hour (a rule now i guess we should consider).
                  I am really pissed at this Race Director/CEO guy yet tonight, instead we were watching the snow birds for it seemed like hours, and could have had the Gold race then instead, and had the snow birds later when the winds were stonger. As stated, earlier, it was no surpise to anyone that these winds were coming.
                  If anyone hear knows, please tell me why it couldn't be done what i stated above.

Schrambow

p.s.
                  another point also i thought of,
                  lets say you had 5 pilots out of 10 that didn't want to race and the other 5 thought it was ok, due to their plane being safer to land that the others in this wind. Then those 5 should race for the gold then- they could have been the tigersharks and stock planes with the larger rudders and less chance of a mayday and such and weren't the clipped planes that are harder to handle. No one should be forced to fly if they thought it was too risky, i agree, but i think some wanted to and it wasn't right for them.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                    This could have been a GREAT Gold seeing if Voodoo and Ghost could have poured it on and wound up front or near and whether Bear or Strega would hold up all out even without any Sea Furies to contend but all to no avail for this year.

However I feel very Strongly that RARA OWES us for not giving us the big show most of us came for: Unlimited Gold.

I would suggest and request that all who care phone RARA and demand free admission or at least a BIG discount on tickets next year. Please.

We waited a year or most of us did and no Gold is like having 50% of what I paid and waited for.

Bill K
                    RARA owes us nothing... They put on the show to the best of their ability. The weather is not their fault (it's not like they can control it).

BUT, what I would have liked to see.

Instead of handing the trophy and the win to Steve H.. Call it a no contest, and roll everything over to the next year. I know it's not possible to do that. But it would make running harder during quals, and the gold, worth it the next year.

The big thing to remember and be thankful for though.. EVERYONE goes home this year. Some with dinged up planes, and a hurt pride. But they get to see their families, and friends, and grace us again next year with this sport we all love so much.

Comment

I do believe it was the deadstick landings in crazy a#$ winds that were the main concern. Whether or not you support the decision that was made doesn't really matter. You're not the one sticking your neck out. So yes, maybe you're out the bucks you spent coming to the races, but it's better that you be mad than we have another memorial, eternal flight, and last lap.

LP

Comment

The danger factor is gonna be there whether they raced today, next year, next century.......

Unless they dis-band the races over all permanently.....
                        None of the pucker factors are going away.

It just didn't happen today.

Theres gonna be mixed feelings either way.

It WILL however make for alot of build up for 2011, to END all the hear say and marketing, competetiveness, what have you, in WHO rightfully Deserves the Gold trophy!

I'm sure Steven didn't wanna have to win it that way.....

But he DID more than prove himself last year.

Ghost and Voodoo and Bear will have ALOT more testing under thier belts next year....

It'll be a good one!

I'm sure they WILL consider this "situation" (hopefully) in the programming of the next race?

Its gotta be hard

You wanna save the biggest performance for the end

The grand finale

Comment

On a positive note, we start the new racing year off with just a couple of Unlimited racers needing engine work, no excuse for the rest of the field for 2011.

On the other hand, the Sport Class starts off the new year in a deep hole.

The best news of all...they all walked away.

LP

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk View Post
                            but it's better that you be mad than we have another memorial, eternal flight, and last lap.

LP
                            Speaking of witch.. no last lap for Lyle Shelton, or Gary Austen, no missing man for them. Just a mention of them and what they did for air racing..

There was a nice last lap for Al Goss, and Vicky Cruise in sport class. Just dont seem right IMHO.

Comment

If it was a pilot decsion then that makes sense. I agree it is a shame that maybe that call wasn't made earlier for the Super Sport.

But that said, I think they need to consider one of two things going forward. Reschedule to accomodate the major classes first. If you know the afternoon is looking bad get the race everyone probably came for out for out of the way while you can. We almost had the same thing a few years back when it started snowing. We definitely need the racing to take priority over any of the air show acts. Air show acts happen everywhere. Air racing these days is a Reno only thing.

Or....

Make sure the event can accomodate overuns into the following week. Even if it means no vendors or gate fees. I am absolutely sure there would be enough folks willing to volunteer to keep the ramp safe, the heats timed and the pylons judged.

Just my opinion,

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                                Speaking of witch.. no last lap for Lyle Shelton, or Gary Austen, no missing man for them. Just a mention of them and what they did for air racing..

There was a nice last lap for Al Goss, and Vicky Cruise in sport class. Just dont seem right IMHO.
                                Thats is pretty unforgivable to not give Lyle and Garry the tribute they earned. I wonder who thinks that stuff up?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Working...
                                X