X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Cancelled to winds

as above

Re: Gold Cancelled to winds

Canceled or postponed? Except for 2001 (for "national security" reasons) the Gold race has never been canceled before.

Comment

Stevo said the racers decided as a group it was a no-go.

Comment

Running it tomorrow, I assume. The gold final doesn't get "cancelled," or at least it never has before (9/11 notwithstanding).

Comment

They just declared Steven the winner through points accumulation. How unusual.

And what a letdown after waiting all year. Guess I'm GLAD now I didn't make the trip now.

Comment

Wow! I thought once way back in the day they actually pushed the race to the following Monday because of rain. This feels horribly unresolved.

Well, better safe than sorry,

Spacegrrrl.

Comment

Houghton said it was logistically impossible to run tomorrow with many of the volunteers, both race crews and RARA, unable to be there.

Comment

No resources to host a race tomorrow
                Sky Critter

Comment

Most of the crowd cheered at the decision
                  Sky Critter

Comment

The only thing worse than being on the ground and wishing that you were in the air, is to be in the air and wishing that you were on the ground.

Good call.

Comment

Just one more way the "old days" were better, they'd have showed up and raced gosh darn it! ........ (hides under a table)

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Un. Be. Lievable.

If I were Jimmy Leeward or Bob Button, I'd be furious.

Well, I'm furious *anyway*, but those guys have a real stake in the races, unless it was known all along that cancellation was an option. That changes everyone's qualifying and race strategy.

I'm all for POSTPONING due to dangerous conditions, but you don't just call it quits and declare a whole year's worth of work on "points accumulated" when everyone has been planning and strategizing to get to the Gold and *then* win. Very bad form, IMO.
                        Last edited by 440_Magnum; 09-19-2010, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Well I guess I don't feel so terrible about taking a year off at the races. Good thing I will be back next year. Miss 1 race every 10 years or so. This was the one to miss.
                          My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

I don't see how Reno Air Race working the way it does that you can declare a winner till the last race happens. How many folks "save" their planes for the big day. How many times have we seen everything change at the last minute, the engine that didn't last, the cut pylon, the plane that gave us 20 more MPH than we'd seen till then.

We really can never say how this should have turned out. If I was one of the big teams I'd be furious! I'd want that Monday 'settle this once and for all" no matter what.

Just one more indication this is becoming more a random business/event and less a real "race" every year.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                              I don't see how Reno Air Race working the way it does that you can declare a winner till the last race happens. How many folks "save" their planes for the big day.

Spacegrrrl
                              I agree completely. If they can't logistically hold the race, they should "vacate" the awards completely for that year. Unless this option was in the rules and all the competitors knew about it before today.

Comment

Working...
                              X