This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMG

Amazing shots. The accident was scarry as hell. Glad everyone was okay.
    Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
    Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Yikes! What a ride that must have been. Glad he is made it out in one piece.

Comment

Alpine,

Thank you for posting the amazing crash-sequence photos so quickly. I'd like to share them with my friends, but want to give you appropriate credit. Is that ok? You can PM if you'd rather.

Sam
        Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by De Camara View Post
          Heres my cheap analogy/guess
          I was NOT there
          I do NOT know
          I do NOT claim any truths to this theory

Looked way too hot on speed for the runway he was AT....

He knew it.....
          Tried to bend towards right seeing if he could maybe save the airplane?

And lost it

PURE GUESS

Probly a bad one in my guess based on video

Nope, he was totally out of energy, waaay slow for the last 10 seconds of flight or so, which probably saved him from serious injury in the end. I think he was surprised not to make 26 once he turned directly into the wind. As it turned out I was awfully happy to see him emerge from the wreckage. Sorry to hear about John though, that incident kind of got lost in the melee.

Unfortunately the uncontrolled crash vector across the deadline is probably what sealed the fate for the rest of the event.
          Last edited by flyride; 09-19-2010, 09:40 PM.

Comment

John....?

Comment

Blue Thunder II groundlooped on 18 during the race. Was towed back to the pits, so the damage may be minimal, but I haven't heard anything specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauler Driver View Post
                Amazing shots. The accident was scarry as hell. Glad everyone was okay.
                I had a horrible sick feeling when I saw it break in half. Thought for sure he couldn't have survived. Almost deleted pics until i heard he was up and ok. Still amazed he could stand after that ride.

Comment

Originally posted by flyride View Post
                  Blue Thunder II groundlooped on 18 during the race. Was towed back to the pits, so the damage may be minimal, but I haven't heard anything specific.
                  Oh man

never knew

I hope John kicks the gremlins asses, and has a long successful racing career with Blue

Comment

Unfortunately the uncontrolled crash vector across the deadline is probably what sealed the fate for the rest of the event.
                    It was the extreme wind gusts that sealed the fate of the Gold Unlimited race. Winds gusting upwards of 40mph kept the "Bad Boys of Air Racing" from getting airborn.

No damage at all... unless you count pilots pride.
                    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                    My Photos
                    My Ride

Comment

I had the honor of getting to talk to George a couple of times at the banquet. Besides a cut on the head and I'm sure a pretty sore body, he looked to be in great shape.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Took these from Section E.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Incredible

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine View Post
                            I had a horrible sick feeling when I saw it break in half. Thought for sure he couldn't have survived. Almost deleted pics until i heard he was up and ok. Still amazed he could stand after that ride.
                            I'll add my congratulations on an OUTSTANDING photographic documentation of the accident!

I notice that you considered deleting the pics you got due to the possibility that a fatality might have been recorded. May I suggest that what you recorded, however graphic it might have turned out to have been, has VERY important value as evidence in an accident investigation. Captures such as yours are rare and extremely important to those who try to figure out what went wrong because they show how reality unfolded.

To anyone capturing an accident in such detail, please understand that even if you do not wish to view the images yourself, turning your card over to authorities for download would be the right thing to do in furtherance of the investigation. Please DO NOT destroy images that can contribute to the best possible understanding of what has occurred, even if tragic.

Again, outstanding work Alpine! You've done well!

TZW

Comment

Had it turned out for the worse, they would have asked for people that had captured the accident to bring their camera's and or just the cards to them to be reviewed and or copied. They have done this in the past.

LP

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                                It was the extreme wind gusts that sealed the fate of the Gold Unlimited race. Winds gusting upwards of 40mph kept the "Bad Boys of Air Racing" from getting airborn.
                                No damage at all... unless you count pilots pride.
                                I have no doubt there were many discussions about whether the aircraft could be operated safely or that there was a vote or whatever. I'm not saying it's one way or the other. And I'm not second guessing anyone as to whether cancelling the races was the best choice. But to think the FAA was not involved after a crash occurring not more than 200 feet from spectators is simply ridiculous. We simply aren't being told about that part.

Steve lets it slip just a little here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNwldzRO4Y

Think about it, would Reno fans be more up in arms if RARA said that the FAA cancelled the gold races, or if the pilots all voted to cancel?
                                Last edited by flyride; 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X