Rare Bear-Where is my Friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear-Where is my Friend?

I just dug out my 1974 program and there is Lyle's signature on the front page, along with Hoovers, Keefs and several more. Time has erased what we talked about on that long ago day. Wish I could go back for a day. Does anyone remember for sure how many unlimited ran in the early seventies? My 1976 program list shows 10 planes there to race.
    Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Lewark View Post
      I just dug out my 1974 program and there is Lyle's signature on the front page, along with Hoovers, Keefs and several more. Time has erased what we talked about on that long ago day. Wish I could go back for a day. Does anyone remember for sure how many unlimited ran in the early seventies? My 1976 program list shows 10 planes there to race.
      Ron
      1976 was kind of funky. Kind of foggy, but if I remember right, 16 planes had initially submitted entry forms. Gary Levitz's P-38, Cliff Cummins' P-51, and Bill Whittington's HA-1112 all dropped out with mechanical problems enroute. Bob Forbes qualified his Tigercat but decided not to race...so that were only 12 qualified planes.

Ed Browning was persuaded to enter his stock P-51 "Flying Undertaker" (which was there anyhow, but not entered), and Jack Flaherty did the same with his P-63F that Lefty had run at Mojave that spring. The CAF was there for their Tora Routine, so Ed Messick decided to enter his P-39, which was Slovak's old Mr. Mennen, and Lefty had brought the P-38 for the aerobatic routine. Levitz convinced him to enter that for kicks and grins, since his own -38 was sidelined.

That brought up the total number to 16 racers again.

By the way...the largest number of aircraft to fly in a Reno-style final heat (not including the 1000 mile races) was 11 at Mojave 1974.

Comment

Kind of a foggy memory he has eh?

Comment

Well, It WAS the 70's...
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

So....this the first post I'ver read. I was out of town...don't have a CLUE about anything that happened, or results. I read this post & am INFURIATED at whomever bitched at me about the "TEAMS"

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
              So....this the first post I'ver read. I was out of town...don't have a CLUE about anything that happened, or results. I read this post & am INFURIATED at whomever bitched at me about the "TEAMS"
              ????????? What are you refering to?

Kevin

Comment

Um ok. ?????????

Comment

That would most likely be me...as per the thread a few weeks prior to Reno discussing why some teams 'weren't talking'.

Comment

Reference:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Working...
                    X