Miss A Damaged In OK Tornado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss A Damaged In OK Tornado

Well... frequent visitors to this site have, I'm sure, noticed that we have not been publishing a lot of Air Race News lately on the front page... It's not that there is nothing happening, to be sure... the drama is well in progress, with a lot of changes and new things happening.. some of which, we would not be able to repeat anyway but....

With last September's departure of Mark Daniels, the lion's share of the duties here at aafo have been placed totally on my shoulders... Couple that with the reality that our two year foray into nearly daily, full time coverage of the sport, financed largely out of our own pockets (don't believe for a minute that those pretty flashing ads on the main pages pay the bills!) nearly broke the bank here at aafo... well.. we had to get a a J-O-B... not in the classic sense but we had to place more attention on GETTING SOME MONEY IN THE BANK so we could continue..

Ok.. that being said, I'm not "passing the hat" again, what I am doing is explaining why you're going to see *some* stuff reported here on this board and not on "story pages" as we would like to do... Reason for this is really simple. I can bang out an update on this board as fast as my fingers can type it.. Making a story page, on the other hand, usually takes about a day per story... and I mean A DAY... (all of it)

So to the meat of the issue.. I asked "Doc" Hisey the other day how things were going and if his had been the WWII Mustang that was mentioned in the local news as having been damaged by the recent Twisters that hit his area and his response follows....

"Well it's been quite an interesting year with MissA, first the crash, now the tornado. Our hangar was destroyed, damage to Miss A's nose and tail. Rebuild was going quite well till then. We are currently trying to set up operations in another hangar. Fortunately, the wings are still in California, should be done soon. I hope we can make Reno, but time is becoming an issue. Miss A will have a new look and hopefully better and faster than ever.

Brent"

Truthfully... I tried to PRY out of the good Doctor, some details of what this "new look" will be but............

I think we're gonna have to wait till September and HOPE we get to find out, because.... it seems to be a fairly well kept secret at this point...

Have I whet anyone's imagination??? More than one racing canopy-turtledeck floating around out there.. PURELY and I emphisize PURELY SPECULATION on my part but......

And to be completely honest.. if this is the case.. I don't even wanna know till I see her but can ya imagine how nice that bird would look done full race!!!!!!!

How is it that every year.. we wind up saying the same thing abouy this time.. This year's shapin up to be THE BEST RENO YET..

Somehow, they just seem to get better, no matter what!!

Phew.. just broke out into a sweat.. well... I GOT's to get back to work!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Yeah Wayne, I'm guesing a race canopy and perhaps a low-profile belly scoop. Peas
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
      Yeah Wayne, I'm guesing a race canopy and perhaps a low-profile belly scoop. Peas
      Hi Peas... well.. "Doc" ain't sayin... and I've seen it written twice where he mentions the "new look"....

If ya look at all the things that he *could* mean by that statement... eliminate paint, because they just did that a few years ago... add to that the fact that he has indicated over the last couple years that he wants to go FASTER... gettn the race motor...

What else does that leave??

Canopy addition does not alter the structure of the airplane significantly.. (more or less "bolt on" removable mod) not a cheap mod but...

This would significantly reduce the "fun" factor for just pleasure flyin' Miss A but then, we've also heard that the good "Doc" likes his Yak an awful lot and I'm not sure how much "pleasure" flyin Doc's gonna do with that pony with a spendy race motor in her..

So...

I agree.. what's that leave?? Scoop.. Probably more likely than canopy because that nets a pretty good batch of speed (probably more than the canopy) and the belly was damaged.. and that would not affect the fact that this is a two seater with dual controls.. (why I'd actually think it somewhat unlikely that he'd go race canopy)

So.. current "SPECULATION" from the peanut gallery here in OryGun... Scoop mod for Miss A...

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
        Especially since the ones off Voodoo were recently orphaned and looking for a new home...

Comment

the race canopy came off voodoo, the scoop, from what i've heard will stay on.
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Working...
          X