Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hotlinking images, a civil discussion

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
    Doesn't look like I will get even near the mothership!

In general, I have to say that having to ask for permission to place a link to someone's website is going a little to far. You don't have that right to claim privacy. As long as your website is in the public domain, and unless one is required to register and log on everyone can view it. We can search Google and access every little bit of info from your site. So to then say that I need to say pretty please in order to link to the site (or part of it) if one need to quote someone's opinion, refer to a photo, an article, etc. is just ridiculous and not in the vein of the internet as a source for sharing information.
    I do note that you say you're OK with people linking to a gallery or image, so I trust we won't get into a slagging match with grinding teeth if I ever do so.

T J
    I think it should be clarrified. Directly linking I think is always legitimate. Its the web and links are what the web is all about. Plus it drives traffic to the site which most everyone wants. The question is hotlinking to embedded an image on another web site. I think with a little cooperation that can be acceptable as well. It seems in this forum the rule has been stated it is not allowed (again, I'd think if the owner of the media has iven permisson I can't see a probelm).

So here is a question that I personally experienced. Years back I took a LOT of photos at Reno. I'd take the best of each of my favorite planes to Reno as 8x12s to get the pilots and crews to sign the following year. I'd also bring a copy for the pilot. One year I took a great photo or Peristrokya (sp?) right after Yancey renamed her. I was waiting in Yancey's pit to drop off his photo and a well know aviation photographer asked to see my photo. He commented on what a great shot it was. Later that day he went to basically "retake" the same photo. A couple of months later its the cover of a popular aviation magazine. Thoughts? Off topic I expect but I sort of felt ripped off as I thought the compositon of the photo (looking up the fuselage with the name in the frame at sunset as I remember) was unique.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

From a casual observer...

I come here because this is a great knowledge base on Reno and its history.

I do enjoy the pictures attached or hotlinked that pertain to the thread and help tell the story. I have the intelligence to understand that the person who posted the picture or hotlink may not be the photographer. That is usually quite clear in the post's text. And like a rock in a wood chipper, those who claim other's work don't last long in these forums.

I will not go to links and wade through photography sites hoping to find pictures that interest me. I don't have the time or desire to do so. That is why I come here and look at subject lines that seem interesting to me and ignore those that don't.

When I write up newsletters and original authors or publications will not allow me to reproduce in whole or part an interesting article, but rather want me to provide links to their site, I never use that material. Simply stated, that extra step isn't what 90% of the people will bother doing so why include it?
      John Smutny

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
        I think it should be clarrified. Directly linking I think is always legitimate. Its the web and links are what the web is all about. Plus it drives traffic to the site which most everyone wants. The question is hotlinking to embedded an image on another web site. I think with a little cooperation that can be acceptable as well. It seems in this forum the rule has been stated it is not allowed (again, I'd think if the owner of the media has iven permisson I can't see a probelm).

So here is a question that I personally experienced. Years back I took a LOT of photos at Reno. I'd take the best of each of my favorite planes to Reno as 8x12s to get the pilots and crews to sign the following year. I'd also bring a copy for the pilot. One year I took a great photo or Peristrokya (sp?) right after Yancey renamed her. I was waiting in Yancey's pit to drop off his photo and a well know aviation photographer asked to see my photo. He commented on what a great shot it was. Later that day he went to basically "retake" the same photo. A couple of months later its the cover of a popular aviation magazine. Thoughts? Off topic I expect but I sort of felt ripped off as I thought the compositon of the photo (looking up the fuselage with the name in the frame at sunset as I remember) was unique.

Spacegrrrl
        Does this mean I can venture in the vicinity of the mothership?

T J

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Tommy,

Doesn't really matter what you think. Copyright laws exist and use of an artist's creation without permission is copyright infringement. Ask any webmaster what action is taken when they are notified that copyright protected material is being displayed without permission on a website that they are responsible for. It is taken seriously.

If you want to use a photo taken by someone else show some courtesy and ask them first. Nine times out of ten they will allow you to use a downsized low res version provided you acknowledge who took the picture.

Lance
          Good thing, Lance, is what you think matters less. I was entering into a discussion and providing input, which is what flyingjibus was requesting. If you don't agree with that, oh well. I said what I believe - my right. Don't assume that because I believe photos on the net are fair play that I partake in infringement. This is a friendly discussion and should stay that way.

Comment

I had an interesting thing happen to me along these lines. I was shooting a vintage car race at Sears Point back in April, one of the drivers I shot is a moderator on one of the forums I post on so I took quite a few shots of him. I later gave him the shots because it was sort of a special event, (100th Anniversary of Alfa Romeo, hosted along side of the CSRG season opening event. There were 80 Alfas racing that weekend, the largest gathering of them on the west coast ever.) and because it was his first time racing at Sears Point and the first time his car had been on track since it was restored.

I was later looking through a catalog from one of the Alfa vendors and what do I find?

I looked at it and thought, "Wow that looks just like one of my shots." Then my screen saver came up with the exact shot. I thought to myself, WTH? It turns out that the driver of the car in question gave the vendor the pic along with several others of the car in its first outing. They both apologized and made things right. It did get me thinking I should watermark my pictures, but I don't like doing that because it detracts from the picture I want to share.

This has had me thinking however. In my case, I'm neither a professional photographer, nor to I make any $ off my work. In fact, I was shocked to find one of my pictures in an internationally distributed catalog. At the same time however, there was no photo credit and that ticked me off. Before this happened, I was a little in the "its on the internet, its public domain unless its used for profit" mindset, however I think that is now changing. I think if credit is given, its one thing, no credit, that is a whole different ball game.

On a side note, the vendor who used my picture does want to use others of mine in future publications.

Will

Comment

my 2 cents.
              a few years ago,the group that i go to the races with started making tshirts for the group
              to wear to the races.great fun,i had a idea to use an image from a certain alien photag
              so i contacted him and he was happy to give me the ok so i gave him one of the shirts as payment.

Comment

Forgive me if I've already posted this fact which controls my reasoning.. Web server providers, as well as website providers have to comply with the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) the rules are very strict. If someone makes a claim that a given site has a copyright violation complaint filed against them, the server host notifies the website owner and there is a very short time period where the material in question has to be removed and the claim withdrawn or the host will pull the plug on the website.. or entire server in my case....

I truly hesitate to post this information because I've already had one A S S H O L E make a false claim and had to jump through several hoops to ensure that we stayed on line..

I will also point out that when a DMCA complaint is filed, the person who files it is "under penalty of perjury" if they lie..

Opine as you wish, we are all entitled to one.. however.. YOU are not the one who has their feet held to the fire over this sort of stuff....

Take a walk in my shoes...
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                  Good thing, Lance, is what you think matters less. I was entering into a discussion and providing input, which is what flyingjibus was requesting. If you don't agree with that, oh well. I said what I believe - my right. Don't assume that because I believe photos on the net are fair play that I partake in infringement. This is a friendly discussion and should stay that way.
                  Tommy, my intent wasn't to attack you or anybody else with my contribution to the discussion. My apologizes to anybody that took it that way. As someone who has had work lifted from my website and used on other websites, and in print, without permission I can say that it felt like someone was stealing from me.

In regards to this subject, on this website, whatever any of us thinks doesn't matter, with one exception. The final word is that of the one who pays for the servers that this site runs on. I think he has made his point clear a couple of times already on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    Actually "hotlinking" of an image that is not yours and in an account you own where this is allowed... is not an acceptable procedure...

Linking to the image or better yet, the page it is on is the acceptable method.

Hope everyone can understand the reasons for this.. (which I don't have time to spell out right now.)

Wayne,
                    Just was curious after reading this. Can you clarify. Is hotlinking where the image shows up here, instead of having to actually go to the site where the image is hosted to view it? Also, do you mean that you are allowed to post a link to the website where you can click and go to that site to see the image? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,
                    Dustin
                    My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
                      Wayne,
                      Just was curious after reading this. Can you clarify. Is hotlinking where the image shows up here, instead of having to actually go to the site where the image is hosted to view it? Also, do you mean that you are allowed to post a link to the website where you can click and go to that site to see the image? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,
                      Dustin
                      Quick answer, yes... "hotlinking" at least as far as I understand it is.... when you post code, whether it be via one of the message board software programs which make it really easy, or you do it via the old school method... if the image is actually served from a location other than the page where it is shown, that is "hotlinking" or.. as it was known in the hosting industry a few years ago.. "leaching".. (may well still be known as that)

And on the substituting a link to what is wanted to be shown, rather than hotlinking or.. maybe more well understood term.. "embed"..

Make sense??

This stuff gives me a headache!

Just got in after he second leg of return from RENO.. Pretty Burned Out right now..

If this does not make sense, I'll try again tomorrow...

Also.. if anyone wants details on the regs regarding the other stuff (copyright) I mentioned in an earlier thread.. I'd gladly show them..

On second thought.. I don't need to give the knuckleheads step by step directions on how to wast people's time...
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow. While I still have never met you Wayne, (missed the bbq again!) I am struck again by how lucky the aafo community is to have you running this board.

Thank you for all your hard work and effort.

Sincerely, Glen
                        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Thanks for the info Wayne.
                          My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Just by way of example (my own images, so no infringement exists either way).

Are those of you speaking against hotlinking claiming that this is acceptable:

See the photo at:

but this is not?

See this photo:

Comment

OK, sorry for the rookie-question here, but for those of us not as Photoshop-savvy as others:

What is the easiest procedure (using PS) for either watermarking or adding our names to the pic.

I tried adding my name to a couple of pics as a test (12.1 megapixel shots) and the 72-font was still too small. I'm at a loss...

Sam
                              Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
                                OK, sorry for the rookie-question here, but for those of us not as Photoshop-savvy as others:

What is the easiest procedure (using PS) for either watermarking or adding our names to the pic.

I tried adding my name to a couple of pics as a test (12.1 megapixel shots) and the 72-font was still too small. I'm at a loss...

Sam
                                Hey Sam... I don't "watermark" or copyright my shots until I size them for the net... I think it's around 1000 pixel limit right now for the board.. Once done, I have a pretty cool file that I made using photoshop that I just "select - all" then "copy - merged" and past into the image. You can then drag it to where you want it and change the opacity to a lesser than 100% setting (I have been using 50% lately) to make it less distracting..

Lemme know (via pm) what you'd like it to say (if you like) and I can make one for you and send it to you..

On a 12.1 mp image, you'd need a LOT bigger than 72 because the image is going to be something above 4000 pixels wide..

Hope this helps, PM me if you want more help, I'll try to get info to you promptly..
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X