No announcement yet.

Ugly Airplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL Bill.. It'll be different for sure. I think we started staying on the field in '98 or '99 then at John's hangar 3 or 4 years ago.. it's been a really nice long run and VERY enjoyable in some respects. It'd be fun to still stay out there and not WORK all night!

I'm sure I'll hang around pretty late anyway soaking up all the free (read that OTHER PEOPLE'S) beer I can get my hands on

Never know... Maybe Cruise America will change their mind but, in all fairness.. there's better motorhomes out there anyway.. (can you say... THE HOLDING TANKS ARE TOO DAMN SMALL!!!)

See ya next week!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

i love that outside pic of the pitts, that's siiick
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Ugly or functional?

I have one for you that most would consider Ugly. But some planes, like this Australian "Transavia AirTruck", are designed for a specific purpose. In order to achieve the maximum efficiency it is often necessary to forget about graceful lines and appearance. The AirTruck is an Ag plane; this demonstrator shows the spray bars fitted.
        Attached Files

Comment

I remember seeing one of those things in "Mad Max III: Beyond Thunderdome"... you know.... the one with Tina Turner.

I might call it ugly until I was flying it.

Mr. Larkins, do you happen to have any P-82 or B-36 shots? I never had the opportunity to see either fly.

Bill Pearce
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

P-82 Photos Etc

Yes I do and would be happy to post them but I am not sure where they should go or if they should since this website seems to be 99% air racing. This particular thread about ugly planes has nothing to do with air racing but there doesn't seem to be any other place to put it. ??????

Comment

It was a loaded question. I know you have some really great photos of things that used to be, and some of things that are still.

Even at 99% air racing, there is always room for cool stuff. You can post them in the Image Post Forum.

Besides, you can make almost everything relate to air racing. What engines did the B-36 have.... 4360's... air racing connection. The P-82 was the big brother (if you will ) of the P-51.... air racing connection.

Just like you I am a visitor at this site. I have been coming here for about 6 years now. I don't think anyone will mind if you post interesting but non-air racing related photos. I think the subject will be compelling enough.

Thank you,

Bill Pearce
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Bill,

By all means.. .Please do post some photos!

I suppose the "proper" place is in the image post forum, though we all bust that "rule" and post wherever we feel we want most of the time

If you have a bunch of stuff you'd like published, you could also email them to me and I'll do my best to get a gallery made for you..

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

picture post

A Bill Larkins gallery?
                  O.K., I'm salivating.

Leo
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Re: picture post

Originally posted by Leo
                    A Bill Larkins gallery?
                    O.K., I'm salivating.

Leo
                    Leo, I'd be proud to display Mr. Larkins photos if he wants us to.

There is SO much good photography out there that never gets to be enjoyed. Great thing about the net, putting up galleries is pretty cheap these days (quality disk space used to cost quite a bit)

We are now allowed a VERY generous bandwidth allottment from our host (where we rent the server) and we could put up a lot of images.

I may look into one of those premade gallery things where users can upload their own images at some point.. Will have to see on that one, saving pennies for both Reno and Vegas and *trying* to be able to afford some new glass for the Nikon...

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

.....this thing looks like a Chuck Jones (Loonie Toons cartoonist)
                      design!......does Mel blanc do the engine (sound)?...

Great Stuff guys

Comment

Photos Etc

Leo: I will contact Wayne privately about posting photos but in the meantime if you want to see some go to my home page and then to the first Link (SF Bay area) and there are over 200 photos. Each one enlarges and has a caption. The URL is:

And Wayne, my apologies for thinking that this message board was your whole site. I sort of came in the back door on a link from Google looking for Grass Valley and did not know there was anything else when I made the 99% statement. I just saw some of your excellent galleries and non-racing items.

Comment

Re: Photos Etc

Originally posted by Bill Larkins
                          Leo: I will contact Wayne privately about posting photos but in the meantime if you want to see some go to my home page and then to the first Link (SF Bay area) and there are over 200 photos. Each one enlarges and has a caption. The URL is:

And Wayne, my apologies for thinking that this message board was your whole site. I sort of came in the back door on a link from Google looking for Grass Valley and did not know there was anything else when I made the 99% statement. I just saw some of your excellent galleries and non-racing items.
                          Bill, Wonderful work! However you'd like to post photos, man-O-man... be my guest, be it via links to your existing stuff or posted here on the board or via submission, email, CD.. you name it!

I really did not know the depth of your "stuff" until digging around in the links you provide on your site.. Just wonderful history!

No apology needed for thinking this board was the only part of the site!

The layout of this place is as old as the hills and needs a big revamp to make it easier to tell what is what. This board, in partucilar, runs on templates that I can BARELY figure out how to edit to make the look and feel of the site carry over to it. The nature of the net is, nobody builds their own message system, rather, we buy or, in the case of this board, we rent the software for an annual fee, put the program on the server and then bang away at their control panel to try to get it to do what we want... Fun stuff.. (not!)...

Keep up the good work.. your stuff is a treasure!

Wayne
                          PS.. you can private message me via the link at the bottom of this post or email also via link.. I try to keep my email off the site so that I don't increase my SPAM.. a losing battle but I try
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The site is wonderful. Some I've seen before, most I hav'nt.
                            "Photo by W.T. Larkins" appears everywhere I look and I've always cosidered them the benchmark in artistic historic photo's.
                            Everyone who appreciates AAFO should take a minute, an hour, two and visit Mr. Larkins site and sample his work.
                            This is the stuff, Wayne, that gives these forums substance.

Leo
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                              This is the stuff, Wayne, that gives these forums substance.
                              Aint that the truth!!

Onward to Reno!

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

.....Looney Tunes comment was/is mine.....

......I failed to see I wasn't logged on.......
                                .........(soggy cookies!).....

Jim Gallagher
                                Mayday51

......does 52 yrs buy me an excuse this time ?
                                Mayday51
                                Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                                X