Ugly Airplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Airplanes

I was watching a show on the "Wings" channel the other night and they were comparing the F-4 Phantom with the F-8 Crusader.

Is it just me or is the Phantom just about the ugliest looking Jet fighter ever made. Just from a visual point of view! I know it was a wonderful airplane and all but with the wings pointing in all directions and a nose like Jimmy Durante's.

Compared to lets say a F-104 she looks like Cinderalla's ugly stepsister

"TANSTAAFL"
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

i dunno, the a-6 is pretty close behind if it doesn't take the cake.
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

In The Eye Of The Beholder?

Dunno, to my eye, the Phantom was one of the most awesome looking fighters ever. Evil, nasty, smokey and loud.... and listening to one do a slow approach in bad weather was a delight when I used to work under the pattern at PDX...

A-6... not a fighter, by any means, but aside from looking a bit like a "guppy" with an antenna... I always thought of it as a pretty exciting looking airplane as well..

Guess maybe I'm gettin old

*sigh*

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I grew up under the final aproch into Reno when the guard had the F4. Let me tell you they are noisy (esp. durring final), and smoky. But Ugly........I dont think so. I think the leading edge of the wings, and the down turnd elevators were awsome looking and gave the F4 the menising look. I would agree that the nose could have been a bit more sleaker. But then what would they have painted the teath on?

As for ugly... well I would have to say the ME262 takes the cake on that one. But that is my opinion.

Wolfee

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the F4's that flew out of Reno where photo recon versions which required a few bulges in the nose to place the camera gear. The nose on the D version was nice and sleek.

Comment

Hee hee... An aerospace engineer friend of mine used to say, "The F4 is living proof that a pair of J-79s can work miracles even if you bolt them to a brick."

That said, it has its own visceral appeal and a sound like no other. I saw more F4s than almost any other jet fighter growing up, so maybe its a nostalgia thing. But yeah, I can see where they qualify as "ugly." :-)

For my money, nothing can touch the Century Series for pure looks- the F104, 105, and 106 in particular. Well, maybe the A4 Skyhawk, but it was a contemporary of the Century birds.

Comment

Ulgy, or Odd?

Vought F7U-3 Cutlass
              Ulgy on the ground
              Ulgy in the air
              or was this just an odd looking airplane

Comment

A Vought Corsair is no ugly aircraft! It was one of the finest navy aircraft ever produced.

It has a unique identity that comes from its ingenious design.

Comment

UGLY PLANE

True, it's not ugly. It's also not an F-7U Cutlass. I always thought the F-7U was a REAL interesting looking aircraft. It did'nt stay in service long, maybe that says something!
                  One of my "ugliest" aircraft is the F-86D. Always felt the radar nose ruined a great profile. And I agree the century series was the most elegant. Especially the F-100. It always looked to me like a fighter should....
                  All aircraft seem to have at least one non-flattering angle. The P-38, my personal favorite, is butt-ugly from certain views!
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

UGLY PLANES

Form definantly follows function and most planes definantly have a non photogenic side but heres the top 3.

polish wilga ag plane.

any plane on a stick.

any plane that had radials that now has turbines.yuck..

Comment

UGLY AIRPLANES

Along that thought: Remember the post-war T-6 racer that had an in-line added? A Ranger if I remember right. U-G-L-Y ! Still in existence I understand.

Of course the other side of that is the P-40, basically a P-36 with an Allison.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Leo,

Just goes to show ya that beauty is still in the eye of the Pile-It. I just think the T-6 looks really cool, and the P-40 is graceful - especially the longer fuselage verisons like the P-40N.

Scotty G
                        Scotty G

Comment

Hard to cite any airplane as truly ugly, there are a few notable exceptions.. One that comes to mind is the old, what was it... a Citabria... the little "flying bathtub"...

There are, of course, a few others but for the most part, to my eye, even those that are considered ugly, have some feature within their intended purpose that makes them beautiful..

Certainly, a Cessna 152 is not particularly exciting to look at, but not ugly.. and on and on..

Beauty is in the eye of.. so they say...

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Not to get philosophical on the point but does not the nature of flight itself require a certain amount of symmetry and balance.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to my eye anything that flies has some beauty in it. (Except for that Polish Ag plane, that was truly ugly)

Comment

Wayne,

I think you must be thinking of the old Aeronca C2, aka "flying bathtub". All of two cylinders and what, 30hp? But you know, it all depends on your viewpoint. From the cockpit, up in the air on a beautiful day, just about any airplane looks good...

Jeff
                              Jeff Lo
                              Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                              Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Working...
                              X