Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you pay $1.00 extra for your Reno ticket to ensure the Bear was there??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne:

I voted with my credit card. Not a big purchase, but it will help!

Looking forward to a real race!!!!

Comment

Bear in the Air fund

As a 10 year race fan I would love to see a healthy Bear lead the way arround the pylons on Sunday afternoon. Is there any way to track how the bear in the air fund is doing? too bad we cant do a telethon or another kind of fundraiser.

Comment

I am a huge "Bear" fan, but I would have to say NO based on the principle that, "If you give one a buck, you've got to give them all a buck", and that would make tickets prices prohibitive.

Now then, if the question was, "If you could put $1.00 in a jar at the Main Gate to help pay for the Bear's insurance", the answer would be...Hell Yeah!!!

If RARA or the unlimiteds could just secure a MAJOR series or event sponsor (as we see in other major motorsposrts) it could help everyone a lot.

Comment

Skyracer,

We know that a ticket "surcharge" could not be a realistic concept but the purpose of this thread was/is to generate interest in the Bear's situation.

They are completely at the "mercy" of fan, and other sponsorship for this year's event and we just feel that *however* we genterate interest, if it brings in funding to the team, then we've accomplished our mission to help them out.

I'm still hoping a lot of you will spread the word on your own in other venues on the net and elsewhere.

It'll only happen if we make it happen.

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Bear in the Air fund

Originally posted by ramp mouse
            As a 10 year race fan I would love to see a healthy Bear lead the way arround the pylons on Sunday afternoon. Is there any way to track how the bear in the air fund is doing? too bad we cant do a telethon or another kind of fundraiser.
            Rampmouse,

There is a "countdown" page in the works. A soon as I get the current figure needed, we'll be posting a page on the rarebear.com website for that purpose.. It will not be exactly "real-time" in that we'll update it as information comes in from the team but it'll be pretty close.

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

....Go through the gate (either one) and just past the turnstiles
              there are people selling newspapers, and some selling programs.

.........where are the "Booster Clubs" ?.....

..........they used to sell booster pins at the unlimited hydro races
              on the Detroit river (some teams depended on pin sales to buy gas for the trip home!).....I'm sure it would be a viable place
              and method to raise some cash (at site)....(all the teams should
              think about this,those old hydro pins are real collector items now
              and starting to call considerable cash).....

......I would think RARA would see a way to permit Booster Clubs to sell just inside the arch, before ya get to concession row.
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

I too have voted with my pocketbook, and am looking forward to RareBear having it's way with the field this year! (OK, so I'm a little enthusiastic.... )

Comment

Code,,,,what code <G>

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  Hummn.... you talkin' "code" there partner???

Wayne
                  One never knows what course a Rhino will take.........
                  Randy Rheinschild
                  www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Thanks to all!

First, I need to give a great big thanks to Wayne Sagar for all he has done to help bring to the attention of all you air race fans just what the "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team has been doing...and to what we're trying to do. It is having a very positive effect! Thanks Wayne.

Next, for all of you who have maintained your interest and faith in our team...and who have helped with your contributions, we couldn't be doing this without you. I'm not making that up; your support has been absolutely vital to our progress. And, please spread the word to all your friends and any aviation buff who will listen, that the "Bear" is mechanically ready to race and race hard this September!

Then there's this group of "obsessive" individuals who migrated to the "Bear Cave" as race week was approaching last September, and offered their skills and talents as professional airline mechanics and maintenance technicians. They quickly gelled into what has become one of the most cohesive and dedicated core crews that the "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team has ever seen. Anyone who had the pleasure of seeing them in action at Reno last year can testify to that fact!

And not to mention the tireless efforts of Ms. Sharon Coates who is the brains behind the "Rare Bear" Fansponsor program, and who doggedly pursues good deals for our parts, hotel rooms, - insurance premiums - , and so on!

Of course if you visit "www.rarebear.com" you'll see the logos of our sponsors such as OSIsoft, Stinson Air Center, Sherwin-Williams, AeroShell and many others that have contributed significantly to this team's efforts to become race ready. The singular and combined efforts of all of them is deeply appreciated.

As to the poll that started this "string" we all know that RARA couldn't ever do something like the question as asked. But the results certainly illustrate a lot of positive attitudes out there. We are still in need of support to fund operations for the race this September. As one of our crewmembers, Scott Litster related to you all, he has been VERY active on the local level in his search for sponsorship for the "Bear". How he sticks to it in the face of so many turn downs simply amazes me. On a different level, I continue my search with major corporations for that big sponsorship that can let us operate comfortably and provide national exposure for all of our sponsors. Like Scott said, numerous follow-up calls to court the prospects can be tedious - but it's essential to succeed. And, as he said, in today's economy it is extremely difficult to land that single, large corporate sponsor. But we keep trying.

So, I just want our fans and all our stakeholders to know how deeply I appreciate all the hard work and support being done and given to make sure that the "Bear" will be in the air turning left and going damned fast at Reno this year. We'll do our best to keep all of you informed.

Thanks...John Penney "Race 77"

Comment

John,

I've got to say, that it has not only been a pleasure to be in a position to help and provide whatever exposure we can of your goals and progress towards those goals... It has been an HONOR to do so!

I can not agree with your words more. Be it about the team or Sharon or any of it.. you are spot on!

I sincerely hope that by posting this thread that I did not make anyone feel that we realistically thought that a $1.00 surcharge for ticket sales to get one or another team in the sky for Reno was a possibility. My intent was to "stir the pot" so-to-speak and see just what sort of support might be out there.. a "virtual" passing of the hat... again, so-to-speak..

From some of the responses I've received, both on this thread and privately, I think that some have felt that I've somehow put RARA on the spot with the subject of the poll. In retrospect, I probably could have worded it differently..

That the poll generated more sales in the webstore and via mail for stuff from the Rare Bear "Store" and stimulated more donations, which, I learned from my trip down to visit and FLY with you guys, were BADLY needed, is a very good thing!

So to clarify, once again, I do not feel that it would be something that the sanctioning body could or should do (the dollar thing) but once again I do wish to pull out the hat and pass it around.. (I ain't gonna give up till I see you guys cross the starting line in September!)

To ALL of the Rare Bear Air Racing Team.. Keep up the good work guys and gals! Every one of you bring back to my mind, why I became so fasicinated with this sport once I began reporting on it. It's NOT the airplanes.. It's you guys and your dedication that make this sport special!

This goes for every race team out there.. a finer bunch of people exist nowhere else in any motorsport!

Wayne Sagar
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Vegas

Actually, we were PAID to go to Vegas, and all our expenses (fuel. hotel, etc) were covered to boot.

Stacy Thomas

Comment

If you're a fan of the races, nobody is asking you for anything other than the price of admission.

As a fan of the Rare Bear who paid nothing (but the price of admission) all those many years when Lyle and John were battling (and winning) against Strega, Dago, Tsunami and the rest, I don't mind giving a few dollars here and there to help get it, and keep it, in the air.

Hell, I thought my dollars were put to good use last year just to see the Bear taxi out of the dust and do a run-up in front of the crowd for the first time in 3 years! It was awesome and well worth the cost.

If the Bear crew needs cash to race, I'll keep buying their stuff to help get them to the goal of a race in September.

I have their shirts, jackets, beer, stuffed animals, posters, beer can cozys, and key rings spread out to a lot of friends around the world. Did it help? Who knows, but a bunch of people who never heard of the Reno Air Races know about the Rare Bear. My box seat has grown from 2 in 1997 to 8 in 2003...The Bear filled those seats (and helped keep them full)

Rock On, Rare Bear...I'm there for you as much as I can afford. Naysayers be damned.

Comment

Working...
                          X