Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast could a Spitfire go?

Would 450mph be possible?

Maybe a modifeid MK V with a high HP Merlin?

Shouldn't a MK V be faster than a MK IX with same amount of HP?, since the V is lighter and has only one radiator intake.

Re: How fast could a Spitfire go?

The Griffon MkXIV Spitfires that have been raced (one in the Cleveland days and one in the 90's) were shown to post about the same speeds. 375mph. Bruce Lockwood wrote about this and said as the power is run up, the radiator doors open because of the need for more heat transfer and the drag makes the airplane go the same speed.

Perhaps a Spiteful wing with boil off cooling system would be the way to go. Maybe the Supermarine Attacker wing can be made to fit on a Spitfire like "they" say?

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
      The Griffon MkXIV Spitfires that have been raced (one in the Cleveland days and one in the 90's) were shown to post about the same speeds. 375mph. Bruce Lockwood wrote about this and said as the power is run up, the radiator doors open because of the need for more heat transfer and the drag makes the airplane go the same speed.

Perhaps a Spiteful wing with boil off cooling system would be the way to go. Maybe the Supermarine Attacker wing can be made to fit on a Spitfire like "they" say?
      The Attacker wing was essentially the Spiteful wing minus the radiators. From what i have read Supermarine basically too the spiteful wing, landing gear and mated them to the new fuselage with Jet power and the attacker was created.
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I'm sure spits would be capable of much more than 375mph with some modifications...

A Spit MK V is half size, half the weight of a mustang. So put a High HP Merlin(ala Strega) and put some efforts in reducing drag as much as possible.

It would be a monster for sure, problably not threatning the mustangs.
        It's Climb rate would be unmatched by any propeller driven aircraft ever

Comment

Having raced, if you want to call it that Ha Ha, both the Mk-IX and XIV Spitfires I'd estimate speeds of around 305-310mph and 330mph respectively for qualifying. This would be in stock trim, T/O power and no spray bar water (which the Mk 14 desperately needs to really work)

Both airplanes are fast at altitude, but are hard pressed to show "high" indicated air-speeds. This my friends is what is needed to get around the race course in rapid style.

Cheers Bruce

Comment

Here's Bruce Lockwood thoroughly-engaged in Spitfire racing @ the '95 Phoenix 500 event... (now THAT was really-cool to see!)

We need to get a Spit to race @ Reno one day in the future!

DBD
            Attached Files

Comment

I had forgotten that the MkIX raced too.
              Now that reminds me that Pat McGarry raced the Evergreen AirVenture Museum's MkXVI at Phoenix.

Comment

If a boil off system could be incorporated, and the radiators in the wings removed, it could be a screamer. I bet even doing something like what Stiletto had before the boil off system would be faster than the big coolers under the wings. Heck a Spitfire racing period would be super cool.

Will

Comment

I found some pics of the Spiteful in a couple of books and the radiators are still in housings under the wing, but unlike the Spitfire where they were deep and narrow the Spiteful's were very shallow but a wide cord.. but a spiteful wing on a tsunami or Miss Ashley II style scratch build fuselage would be awesome...

Comment

much as I love spitfires ( being a pommie) i think that their low altitude performance will always be compromised by the drag from the rads at low level
                    so how about a Yak 9 with a race Merlin in place of the Allison, obviously the air frame would need cleaning up to reduce drag, but the low altitude performance of this plane is VERY impressive. It sports a Dog kennel type cooling system like the P51. The pilot displaying a Yak 9 at Duxford last year said the plane accelerated better than anything he'd flown at low alititude!
                    The luffwaffe FW190 pilots were told under no circumstances engage a Yak 9 below 9000 ft during WW2
                    I'm a real Yak 9 fan( they dont cost 2Mil dollars plus for a start!)

Comment

the wing on the spitfires was most definately a wind designed for altitude and not lots of low level work, but hmmmm a high power alison or merlin in a cleaned up Yak.... that would be cool... just reshape the airfoil because the standard airfoil isnt so hot at high speeds.. ( im sure sherm could help out here with info like that if he is snooping around here)

Comment

Anything without a laminar wing is probably not going to be as fast as a race Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by race9 View Post
                          Anything without a laminar wing is probably not going to be as fast as a race Mustang.
                          You mean like a Seafury or a Bearcat?
                          Red
                          chanting...400+

Comment

I recall the superspitfire MK XVIII was a 470+ mph mover in stock outfit.
                            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
                              I recall the superspitfire MK XVIII was a 470+ mph mover in stock outfit.
                              Maybe at altitude, Reno is about 5000 ft above MSL.

Comment

Working...
                              X