Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just some News

Default Just some News

For one Galloping Ghost has been flying around Reno and it is fast... Reaching speeds of 540 on straight-a-ways. Some other stuff, Rare Bear doesn't have an engine in it yet and Dago Red is sitting in a field without the front of the plane., (Cowling, prop, etc.) Hope this is helpful.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Default Re: Just some News

Thanks for the info - you get around.

Where is Dago Red?

Thanks for the updates. How are we (you or others) timing the straight-away speeds or are these reports from crew or second-hand?

Damn, sure wish someone could resurrect Dago but the UL are shaping up to put on another good show. Headed down in just 23 short days.

Cheers All,
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    For one Galloping Ghost has been flying around Reno and it is fast... Reaching speeds of 540 on straight-a-ways.
    And how was this verified? Unless they're running the ultra high octane race fuel, along with a special go-go cocktail, I'd guess the 540 number is highly unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I wish Jimmy and the GG folks all the best, but I think someone's a little over excited with that comment.

SA

I'm sure that 540 mph is a solid number if you come around pylon 6 at about 30,000ft............

Kevin

I wonder how the wings and airframe are liking 540 MPH?

I hope that number is true, it'll make for an exciting racer.

540 is not the number the airframe is experiencing. 420 kts IAS is about it. That's about 480 in mph. (Max dive speed 505 mph for P-51.) IAS is the wind blowing over the wing. 540 is the TAS, same as ground speed in no wind conditions.

I was just sweeping the floor in the hangar around Dago Red and the prop I moved to do it looked and felt very real. The Merlin, cowling frames and airframe also looked so...real.
    The only things not there in the hangar are the flaps and the engine cowling sheet metal. They are at another shop in central Cal.

Chris...
    Last edited by stuntflyr; 08-19-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Quote Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
    540 is not the number the airframe is experiencing. 420 kts IAS is about it. That's about 480 in mph. (Max dive speed 505 mph for P-51.) IAS is the wind blowing over the wing. 540 is the TAS, same as ground speed in no wind conditions.

I was just sweeping the floor in the hangar around Dago Red and the prop I moved to do it looked and felt very real. The Merlin, cowling frames and airframe also looked so...real.
    The only things not there in the hangar are the flaps and the engine cowling sheet metal. They are at another shop in central Cal.

Chris...
    And I'll take that over "the airframe is being disassembled to TF-51 status" any day.

i agree! i like the TF's...but would be sooo bummed if another racer was turned into one.

so are we to believe that dago is going back together? and not all in pieces and owned by a bank? is the majority of it still in chino?

and did i read that right...someone moved the prop? alone? or am i not reading it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    And I'll take that over "the airframe is being disassembled to TF-51 status" any day.
    AMEN!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"