Found a great quote...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a great quote...

Found this great quote about Reno in a short story online by Sherry Ditmer -

"But the warbirds are even more — a reverent memorial to a time of selfless bravery and sacrifice. These are glory runs for heroic planes. To see their beautiful forms scream across the sky allows us to hold onto the finest specimens remaining of a rugged past. Each flight heralds mighty men and women — facing an uncertain future, but choosing only to look forward, pull together, and sacrifice for the generations to come.

And we are those generations.

This handful of piston-powered aircraft are treasures, like our dear friends who used to fly them. Time has taken its toll, and these friends are slowly stepping aside, vanishing so that we may now take our turn.

No Holds Barred

It is worth whatever shot you can take to be a part of the Air Race. A fan, a crewmember, a relative, or a friend can share a flat-out, heartfelt fervor for this sport of high-desert gladiators. The best in the field are there to throw the dice and give it their all — come what may.

And whether on desert backroads sitting in truck beds, on car roofs, or sitting in the stands — go look, watch, wait, and cheer. Be a part of this no-holds-barred world. For here, being a spectator can be more far-reaching than it appears.

See you at the races."

These few paragraphs speak volumes for the way I (and I'm sure some of you) feel about Reno in September. Brings a tear to my eye everytime I read it.

Tom

Re: Found a great quote...

Wow! - that pretty much says it all, & quite eloquently too, I'd say.

Thanks, Tom, f/posting this inspiring quote to share w/us before the upcoming September event.

DBD

Comment

Re: Found a great quote...

I'm not anyone famous so my quote may not be that remarkable. Why I think warbirds should be raced...

"They were designed to do heroic things. To be the best of the best. At first that was to face their challengers guns blazing. Clearly they can't do that anymore. So now they can do heroic things once again on a race course. What better way for them to show their pedigree? To lock one away in a museum or to trundle one around in the pattern is like putting a race horse on display in front of a plow. Warbird owners, if you love these precious aircraft you must race them to honor them!

So if anyone doubts those sentiments let me point out that recently James May proved in a BBC show that you can build full size plastic models of warbirds for museums. Let's keep warbirds that can fly doing just that, flying, and not just flying, flying in a way that celebrates how amazing they are!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Working...
      X