Unlimited parallels to 1980?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited parallels to 1980?

1) A certain N79111 Mustang won....score one for Jimmy Leeward.

2) The last name of the winning pilot started with M (hadn't happened before & hasn't happened since) ..........score one for Dan Martin.

3) The winning pilot also had double initials (hadn't happened before & hasn't happened since)....score one for Will Whiteside.

4) The winning speed was a new record....probably score one here for mainly Rare Bear OR Strega.

Now to balance out the possible "history repeats" above, here's some other notes from 1980 that I DON'T expect this year :

1980 was not a good year for the Bear (no race laps completed all week). Not likely this time.
    A Mustang from Florida won the Gold Heat on Saturday. If GG is running well Jimmy will save it on Saturday.
    Race 11 and 99 were both in the Silver. I think both in the Gold this year.
    An all-Mustang Gold Race. No,.. but a top three or four is a possibility.
    Two P-38's in the Bronze race...well, with six to choose from???

Re: Unlimited parallels to 1980?

You have way too much time on your hands to figure this stuff out!
    You're right though, 80 was a great year. This is shaping into one.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Bob Hover was down word was they found dirty Rags in the engine???? shawn

Comment

Yep. The great conspiracy! I have a slide of his roll on takeoff. Looking at it later I noticed the whole bottom of the plane is covered in oil. He took off, started to climb out, then came right back in and landed deadstick on the downwind, kind of the same profile that Pardue used many years later when his engine cut-out on takeoff.
        Jeez, I need a slide scanner...
        Last edited by Leo; 08-15-2010, 09:09 AM.
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

i asked my dad about this and he herd rumors that it was sabotage ? shawn

Comment

The rumors were hot and heavy that someone had left a rag blocking a breather tube or some such. I never heard who was the suspect or really why, but it was the talk of the weekend.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

here is what happen on sundays Gold Race 1980 shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                The rumors were hot and heavy that someone had left a rag blocking a breather tube or some such. I never heard who was the suspect or really why, but it was the talk of the weekend.
                Just prior to the races the heads and banks were replaced on old Yeller. Large pieces of a red rag were later found in the scavenge screen on the engine. If you know your Merlins a Rag cannot get from oil tank though the engine to the scavenge screens in large pieces. Its impossible!!!!!. I viewed the pieces and they were large. The only explanation is a Red rag was accidently dropped into the crank case prior to the replacement head and bank being installed. At the time the engine builder used the old sabotage line to take the heat off dropping a rag in the engine. Bob being the gentleman he is agreed with the engine builders explanation. There was no sabatoge, just an unfortunate missing rag at assembly. Its happened before and it will happen again.
                NO body and I mean nobody would mess with the Hoov's plane.
                Matt J

Comment

I always figgered it was just that, a rumor, and there was a practical explanation.
                  Thanks Matt!
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X