silver predictions for the Gold races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: silver predictions for the Gold races

So last year I posted that it might be the Yak, Bear had a stocker, Voodoo is Voodoo, and Tiger had a rookie flying (Yes I said sorry for doubting Stevo last time i saw him) and looked what happened. So with that said my predictions are worthless, but......

Strega - They seem to really have it going on.
    Bear - How much testing time do they get on the engine and with new crew.....
    Voodoo - Fast, think Will were get her around, but do not think perectly running Voodoo can keep up with the top two.
    Dread - What else can be said?
    GG - The lack of time around the pylons worries me. That modified, zero hours on the track, she will be fast, but not this year i suspect.

One prediction I promise will happen, my liver will be punished WED evening

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      Every year I have seen Jimmy really going for it. (2007? was the last time I think) he seems to blow up at some point. Don't get me wrong, that's nothing against him or his crew. I'd love to see that airplane do well, but I don't think it has the motor program in place to hang with the Nixon/Hughes motors.

Nothing more than a personal observation here...but I think the Shanholtzer engines will hold up pretty well. Remember, Ricky is a protige' of Z, and Z never built bad engines. Maybe not #7/#4 strong, but strong none-the-less. I'm interested to see what the super-clean airframe can accomplish with less horsepower (or perhaps, more reliable horsepower).

Aside from that, basing a prediction using Jimmy's performance in Cloud Dancer over the last several years isn't really fair. Except for the Saturday Silver race in '06, he has never used a lot of manifold pressure in Cloud Dancer...certainly not in the 135+ inch 'rarified air' that some of the contenders have pulled in the past.

What the Ghost has going against it is the legacy of Specter/LARS. From 1983-1989 the airplane's best finish was a fourth in the Gold in 1984....coincidentally the only time he was around for Sunday in the Gold race. A first in the Silver in '86 was like taking an IRL car to the local track and running it against a field of super stocks. Every other year the airplane was a DNQ or DNF by the time Sunday rolled around.

I, for one, would LOVE to see the plane just go kick some a$$, just because it's one of my favorite historical airframes. But the 'Smart Jimmy' will use this year to figure it out with a strictly regimented game plan and be happy to have a running motor Sunday evening.

Comment

Voodoo will be bringing a spare engine. I wonder if Strega will have a back up. Might make the strategic difference in how they operate.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          Every year I have seen Jimmy really going for it. (2007? was the last time I think) he seems to blow up at some point. Don't get me wrong, that's nothing against him or his crew. I'd love to see that airplane do well, but I don't think it has the motor program in place to hang with the Nixon/Hughes motors.
          After I posted, I got to thinking about those Spectre/LARS/etc..
          years and started realizing that there is a strong "go or blow" history to contend with. Big Jim summed it up very well.

It's obvious that Jimmy is in it to win it when he feels there is a chance.

I really would love to see him do it one time before he's done. He is one of the nicest people in the pits and has the heart of a true champion. He really desrves a win.

I dont know if its has been the lack of a potential winning airframe or just getting longer in the toothe but it the Leeward team feels a bit more reserved these days. I think he will take it easy at first, but if he feels it, you never know what might happen on sunday!

here's some history for ya'll

Comment

GO JIM, GO!!!!

Even though I'm a HUGE round motor fan, I wish you well. Push the Ghost as far as you feel comfortable with. One of these days we'll bring the Gold back to us East Coast peeps!

(been by your place many times, just can't afford to live there. (yet))

Tom

Comment

OK- I hate to make predictions, but I feel confident in saying that I have a very strong feeling that this year's contest for Sunday's Unlimited Gold final event has the potential of being THE Super Race-the likes of which we've never seen before, as well as the fastest race in history.

If Cornell & Company have The BEAR program dialed-in this time around, you can bet defending champions-TEAM STREGA & Stevo will face a most fiercesome challenge to their title from veteran champ John Penney. Again,-'IF'- VOODOO's engine is a strong hummer, Will Whiteside is going to be doggin' both of them for sure. These three teams have the most comprehensive programs & resources going for them, in my humble opinion.

Especially now w/CZECH MATE re-outfitting this year, Dan Martin's RIDGE RUNNER III is bound to be right in there too & might well surprise everyone by its' performance, combined w/the wiley skills of her seasoned pilot, the team's proven race engine reliability & their highly-focused program.

Fittingly, the true 'darkhorse' of this contest is going to be Leeward & GALLOPING GHOST & they have tremendous promise to make an impressive run for the money in this year's Gold. Racecourse stick time experience w/GG has got to be a factor f/Leeward, no matter how well #177 performs during race week.

TEAM DREADNOUGHT will once again be right there somewhere in the neighborhood of 4th-place keepin' everyone honest, and waiting for someone to falter in the ranks of the leading contenders. Whether its' Brian or brother Dennis Sanders, or Matt Jackson assigned to do the race piloting chores, the ole' stalwart 'Buick' remains a major big force to be reckoned-with.

Lastly, -'IF'-(again) FURIAS makes a down-to-the-wire appearance to race, following the Hawker's revamping, I'm certain that team will have alot of teething issues to contend with, in order to get their Super Sea Fury running up w/the aforementioned 'big dogs' at the front, while vet UNL pilot Matt Jackson is at the controls. But then, as they say- "Just when ya think ya know- ya NEVER know!" Might be a contender fresh out of the rebuild shop.

Obviously, the best-proven winning race strategy once again will be to- 'start-in-front & stay-in-front'. It's gonna be a real 'race-of-races' this September - "I've gotta feelin'"!

DBD
              Last edited by BuckyD; 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Bear...

the rest

Don
                Go Bear!

Comment

Bear
                  GG
                  Strega
                  VooDoo
                  RR
                  Buick
                  Riff Raff

Best race ever.

See ya'll soon.

Glen
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                    Bear
                    GG
                    Strega
                    VooDoo
                    RR
                    Buick
                    Riff Raff

Best race ever.

See ya'll soon.

Glen
                    .....but not necessarily in that order....

Comment

I just can't see anyone staying with Strega. Until someone proves they can, SteveO is who I am picking. Rookie my butt. That kid was born with the right stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
                        I just can't see anyone staying with Strega. Until someone proves they can, SteveO is who I am picking. Rookie my butt. That kid was born with the right stuff.
                        How many times does Rare Bear need to beat Strega till they have proven that they can in your eyes?

Comment

The Ghost may be a dark horse, but its still got a lot going for it. The biggest thing is that the team has had a year to iron out any glitches. The engine has some time on it now, as does the rest of the plane. Last year, I think they would have been dealing with issues and potentially major problems, but given the fact that they have flown at least 6 times over the past year (including today I think.) I think they will be ready to go, and they will be VERY fast. I'd also guess they have another motor waiting in the wings if needed, even if its a stocker.

As for the Bear, well, for all I know they still have the stocker engine. That did ok last year, but that was last year. They better have something fast this year (not to say they weren't fast last year.) They also have an all new crew, who knows if they are any good (might be on paper, but when it comes down to some of the systems on the plane, who knows.) Time will tell. (Again, I'm not knocking them, just making the statement.)

Strega, well what can I say. They got the job done very well last year, and Mr Hinton seems to be on top of things. They have a very solid winning combo, they will be hard to beat.

Voodoo. I'd love to see these guys finish the weekend in good form. It seems like they have had a lot of bad voodoo going on in the past few years. If everything goes well, they stand a chance of winning, but again a dark horse based on the past results. I really hope they do well.

Ridge Runner. Very fast for a stocker airframe, but unless the front runners all have failures, not a winner. Will still be super cool to see them running however. My hat is off to these guys since they are almost as fast as the front runners and still have a largely stock airframe.

The Sea Furys (all lumped into one here) Unless someone shows up with 232 all decked out with a slow nose case (haha, yeah right) They will all be looking for 4th place along with Ridge Runner. Should be a good battle and a very close race back here. If Furias makes a late sudden appearance, I have a feeling they will be chasing gremlins and learning the plane.

All in all I think its going to be a year to remember with some very close racing and some remarkable speeds. Then again, the weather could come into play and Sunday could be totally snowed out

Will

Comment

Voodoo- It's time, they had the speed last year
                            Bear- show up with the goods this time
                            Strega- odds not in their favor, all streaks come to an end
                            GG- lacks race laps in current trim
                            Buick- dependable
                            RRIII- fastest of the "stock" airframes. If they clean up the profile more could there be a 500mph lap inside her?

disclaimer: I am a clueless railbird who eats stale wheaties!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                              How many times does Rare Bear need to beat Strega till they have proven that they can in your eyes?
                              Well they have been at it for a while now and have not come close. This isn't the Bear that used to run the course and smoke everyone. I hope to see that Bear again sometime and hope it is this year. Make no mistake everyone is chasing Strega right now. It is not the other way around.

Has the Bear beat Strega? Absolutely. Was my post saying they have not? Nope. I am speaking as of today I don't see anyone beating Strega. At the end of the day I don't care who wins as just watching these guys fly is enough enjoyment for me. My post was not meant to get anyone upset.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                                Then again, the weather could come into play and Sunday could be totally snowed out
                                Last year we had BEAUTIFUL weather... anyone else willing to make a prediction as to what we'll get this year?
                                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                                My Photos
                                My Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X