Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWII warbird stored in San Martin, Calif. storage yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WWII warbird stored in San Martin, Calif. storage yard?

And here a video of the P-51 when it flew:

T J

Comment

I made another trip to the site and shot a few more photos. I got a better shot of N151KM, and spoted a few more "mysteries".

(Apologies for lack of sharpness .....$150 pocket cam.)

The photos are displayed in 800-pixel-width size. Click on each picture to view the full size 2000+ pixel images for better study.

Here's a full view of the P-51. Hope to see her fly again someday.

.............(click on image for the full size photo)..............

Moving to the right side of the property reveils a number of wings (and maybe wing molds?) on the left side of the photo, and a fuselage-looking object on the right (big drop tank?)

And finally, to the far left of the 'Stang behind a house I spotted this lil' puppy sticking it's nose around the corner...fiberglass nose? Your guess is as good as mine, if not better

Any ideas on the last two?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Any chance they would be okay with a knock on the front door?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken McBride have another P-51 project he's working on. Could be the nose of it here. And Spitfire XVI TE384 is still in his ownership I think.

T J

Comment

Guys,

We all like to be the one that found a "barn" find of sorts as far as warbirds go in some yard. The fact is that Ken McBride owns a Mustang and other warbird parts. If he wanted to let people see them or crawl through his yard, I'm sure he would open the doors. While this stuff is *visible* from the road, there is a certain amount of privacy involved with each of our lives and I think we ought to respect that. If you want to go look at one of his warbirds up close, go to San Martin airport and have a look at the B-25 on the tarmac. That is in public view.

Ken is a friend, and I do not speak for him in this message, but I just think we should use some restraint in playing investigator in people's yards. Sure, google roams streets taking photos and there are satellite photos of the earth everywhere, but there is a line to draw.

In the meantime, here's Ken's company, which makes P-51 reproduction parts.

Respectfully,
            Michael Luvara
            Last edited by Mluvara; 08-17-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Please note that I did not walk up any driveways, trespass on nearby properties nor go to any other lengths to get better views by leaving the paved road, period. I certainly did not "crawl through his yard" as was needlessly stated, nor through ANYBODY's land.

All my photos were shot while standing in the street on PUBLIC property. I invaded no privacy, nor broke any laws. Everything featured here in this thread can be seen by anyone simply passing/driving by. I know where "the line is drawn", and I stay behind it faithfully.

It's all good.
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry, did not mean to infer trespassing by any means. When I said "crawl", I was saying that if he wanted to "open" up the place, he would.

It's just one of those things were we start to draw attention to a place and then everyone begins to find it a tourist destination since it's being published and talked about. Almost becomes inviting. That's my point about drawing a "line".

Michael
                Last edited by Mluvara; 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Understood. I will make no more visits there, though I will be looking that way every time I pass by, hoping to see something happening with the P-51.

Comment

Working...
                  X