Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6 P-38s at Reno

Originally posted by h34race View Post
    what about the one at chino is it porkys??or was it museum of flyings the on with major bong on the nose
    There have been lots of changes of ownership and paint jobs in the last 5 years or so.

Porky's is this one, it's been repainted:
    MFR 1943. Rough air, bad light, awesome airplane! - Photo taken at In Flight in Idaho, USA on May 5, 2007.

The Major Bong one is the former Tallichet example, which was sold and repainted. It's this one:
    Ex USAAF 44-27231 - Photo taken at Columbus - Rickenbacker International (Lockbourne AFB / ANGB) (LCK / KLCK) in Ohio, USA on September 29, 2007.

The old MOF's (SMO) is this one:
    Last edited by dvddude; 05-27-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

My brother-in-law put in a call to the organizers of the Capitol City event and they told him they have five P-38's confirmed at this time. They didn't say which ones but I would agree with dvddude that the Red Bull and Tilamook machines would be the least likely to attend. Other than the Tilamook machine the other 5 airworthy Lightnings in this country all fly pretty regularly.

Comment

Hmmm...Mr. Hinton is now flying Frasca's FW-190 out of Chino getting it ready for Oshkosh to appear with a Zero....wouldnt' it be great if...oh, never mind.... I will be happy if the good Lord lets me make it to both events again.... still, there is that ME-262....

Comment

It would be great for most people if they are at Reno...but what's the point of flying them there if they are just static on the ground for the weekend?

Comment

Lockheed P-38 Lightning- My absolute FAVORITE airplane of all!

Man, -I'll take 'em ANYWAY I can get 'em!!!

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
              It would be great for most people if they are at Reno...but what's the point of flying them there if they are just static on the ground for the weekend?
              its better than 6 Cessna 172's on the ground
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Good afternoon, folks!

Just a quick introduction for you all. I am the project officer for the "Lightning Strike" P-38 Gathering taking place this coming September, first at the California Capital Airshow, and then at the National Championship Air Races.

I and the rest of the organizations involved agree that such a historic gathering is certainly one for the ages and an achievement well worth our efforts. Only seven flyable P-38s remain in existence. There is an eighth one presently being restored, but it's nowhere near airworthy at this moment in time.

Of the seven, six are presently in the United States, making the possibility of gathering them for the 2010 California Capital Airshow a real and attainable vision. As we all know, White Lightnin' is currently in Austria, and since that particular aircraft presents such a major logistical problem, it would be cost-prohibitive to attract.

The P-38 National Association and the 475th Fighter Group Historical Foundation are involved in this endeavor on a large scale. It is an outstanding opportunity for all of us to showcase this amazing aircraft and pay tribute to the designers, manufacturer, maintainers, and the brave aviators who trusted their lives to the “Forked-Tailed Devil.”

Our initial plan for the six P-38s was static display; however, that has since changed and these airplanes are going to be flying during the show. USAF Heritage Flight formations in the past have never featured more than two P-38s simultaneously, nor has there been such a gathering of P-38s since a large ferry-flight from Japan over to Korea more than fifty years ago. The California Capital Airshow may have three HF-certified pilots in attendance this year, increasing the probability of having three of the Lightnings in formation with our headlining act, the F-22 Raptor. A single-ship P-38 aerobatic routine is also on the menu, in addition to several multi-ship formations, a tail-chase, and echelon break to land.

Now, to address the air-to-air photo shoot with these aircraft: the only thing I have to tell you at this point is that something is in the works to make that concept a reality. We have a VERY HIGH probability of success on this, but please understand I can't share details until I've been given the authorization.

As for politics involved? I can't honestly speak to that. This organization prides itself on doing everything in a fair and equitable manner, and shooting aerial photos of the P-38s is going to be no exeception. Obviously, should an air-to-air shoot materialize, there are a lot of considerations to be made, and in order to maximize the benefits to the owners of the P-38s and other parties involved, we'll need to get the most bang for our buck.

What that looks like to me at this moment? I can't say, because I don't have all the pieces in place. As soon as the plan comes together, I'll be more than happy to share, and get your input as well. Thank you for understanding.

The California Capital Airshow is also offering an exclusive "photo tour" this year, so if you would like more information on what that entails, send an email to: executivedirector@californiacapitalairshow.com

Have a great day, folks! Thanks again for talking this up, and rest assured that it's not a rumor. The gathering is fact...

Comment

Originally posted by CaCapAirshow View Post
                  Good afternoon, folks!

Just a quick introduction for you all. I am the project officer for the "Lightning Strike" P-38 Gathering taking place this coming September, first at the California Capital Airshow, and then at the National Championship Air Races.

I and the rest of the organizations involved agree that such a historic gathering is certainly one for the ages and an achievement well worth our efforts. Only seven flyable P-38s remain in existence. There is an eighth one presently being restored, but it's nowhere near airworthy at this moment in time.

Of the seven, six are presently in the United States, making the possibility of gathering them for the 2010 California Capital Airshow a real and attainable vision. As we all know, White Lightnin' is currently in Austria, and since that particular aircraft presents such a major logistical problem, it would be cost-prohibitive to attract.

The P-38 National Association and the 475th Fighter Group Historical Foundation are involved in this endeavor on a large scale. It is an outstanding opportunity for all of us to showcase this amazing aircraft and pay tribute to the designers, manufacturer, maintainers, and the brave aviators who trusted their lives to the “Forked-Tailed Devil.”

Our initial plan for the six P-38s was static display; however, that has since changed and these airplanes are going to be flying during the show. USAF Heritage Flight formations in the past have never featured more than two P-38s simultaneously, nor has there been such a gathering of P-38s since a large ferry-flight from Japan over to Korea more than fifty years ago. The California Capital Airshow may have three HF-certified pilots in attendance this year, increasing the probability of having three of the Lightnings in formation with our headlining act, the F-22 Raptor. A single-ship P-38 aerobatic routine is also on the menu, in addition to several multi-ship formations, a tail-chase, and echelon break to land.

Now, to address the air-to-air photo shoot with these aircraft: the only thing I have to tell you at this point is that something is in the works to make that concept a reality. We have a VERY HIGH probability of success on this, but please understand I can't share details until I've been given the authorization.

As for politics involved? I can't honestly speak to that. This organization prides itself on doing everything in a fair and equitable manner, and shooting aerial photos of the P-38s is going to be no exeception. Obviously, should an air-to-air shoot materialize, there are a lot of considerations to be made, and in order to maximize the benefits to the owners of the P-38s and other parties involved, we'll need to get the most bang for our buck.

What that looks like to me at this moment? I can't say, because I don't have all the pieces in place. As soon as the plan comes together, I'll be more than happy to share, and get your input as well. Thank you for understanding.

The California Capital Airshow is also offering an exclusive "photo tour" this year, so if you would like more information on what that entails, send an email to: executivedirector@californiacapitalairshow.com

Have a great day, folks! Thanks again for talking this up, and rest assured that it's not a rumor. The gathering is fact...
                  Reading this gives me w@@d
                  cant wait to see them in sac and reno.

Comment

I can remember as a teenager at the Cleveland Air Races with Tony LeVier coming across the field in his red P38 inverted with both engines shut off during his aerobatic show. I later got to help wax the plane prior to him racing it. Due to my GI haircut he called me burr head. He was quite a race/ Lockheed test pilot along with "Fish" Salmon. The P38 was also my Moms favorite airplane.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

When the organizers of both events agreed to work as partners for this gathering it was with the vision and goals in mind to have these magnificent icons observed in their natural environment, "flying". Therefore, these legendary fighters will not only be available as static displays but will also be flown at both events. For Reno that means they will be flown each of the race days. There are certainly other plans being worked at both events to make this gathering a memorable experience for all who attend.
                      For those photographers planning to attend the Sacramento show I would high advise checking into and booking the "PhotoTour" as this exclusive access will be very limited. In addition to the photo opportunities afforded these individuals food, shelter, and a number of other amenities will be available. Check the official website for details, and hurry as "Photo Tour" spots are limited. Make your plans now because you do not want to miss this one.

Comment

Originally posted by CaCapAirshow View Post
                        Good afternoon, folks!

If there is a will. THERE IS A WAY!!!

This is awesome news, and I pray comes to light.

Thanks for the update, and the willingness to keep us posted on braking news on this. My bags are packed, and plans are in place for Reno this year. Come hell or high water, I WILL BE THERE!!

Comment

Boy, this really brightens up a cloudy cold Spring in Washington State.
                          I can feel the Reno sun already on my old bones.

Air Racing. If it were easy, they would call it "golf".

Comment

Chris, same here in Everett. LIQUID SUNSHINE !!! Cannot wait to hear all of those 144 cylinders popping at the same time. At my age that is better than sex !! Rad

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy View Post
                              When the organizers of both events agreed to work as partners for this gathering it was with the vision and goals in mind to have these magnificent icons observed in their natural environment, "flying". Therefore, these legendary fighters will not only be available as static displays but will also be flown at both events. .

Amazing news! Thank you! Static just does nothing for me. Been there, done that. It's why I've never even been to some static museums.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                                Now I'm gonna hafta go to airshows on two consecutive weekends. What ever shall I do?
                                Take pictures for those of us that can't make it to two consecutive airshows.
                                Are you going to make it here for PRS ?
                                Russ
                                Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Working...
                                X