6 P-38s at Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 P-38s at Reno

Sorry if I missed this thread already but I am on some happy pills for an injury. Air Classics is reporting that there will be a gathering of Lightnings at Reno this year, hopefully six. Anyone know/guess which six? They will arrive after being at the Ca. Capital air show.....

Re: 6 P-38s at Reno

aside from N25Y, that must be "all" six in the states
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I heard something about this too from a buddy down in Chino.....but i take what he tells me with a grain of salt so there ya go....

Now the dreaming side of my visions a race just for 38's but yeah i know i am pushing my luck with that one.

Comment

*IF* this is true...

I can see the air to air shots Victor and others (ehem... WAYNE... :P) will be posting already...
        Last edited by wolfee; 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

they are schedualed for the Capitol City show the week before Reno, it just makes sense to send them over the hill for the week
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Once the California Capital Airshow concludes on Sunday, September 12th, the aircraft will depart for Reno Stead Field and be on-hand as a static display and possible flying event during the week’s festivities. “This is very much a team effort between us and NCAR. We encourage people, if they can, to follow these airplanes over to Reno and enjoy the races,” Brewer said.

"As an organization, the National Championship Air Races is honored to be able to present such a historical reunion for our fans and aviation enthusiasts from around the world,” said Mike Houghton, Chairman and CEO of the races.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
              *IF* this is true...

I can see the air to air shots Victor and others (ehem... WAYNE... :P) will be posting already...
              I wish...
              Seriously doubt I'll even get to shoot all six on the ground...
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
                I wish...

Victor, if there is a way, I KNOW you/Wayne/Neil/Evin/Paint will get it worked out, and make it happen.

Comment

The ability to get A2A shots of anything is pretty tough unless you are willing/ to foot the bill for fuel..

And then there is the coordination and field of view involved to get seven airplanes in the sky in the same shot at the same time (NOT easy)

And yes, there is always the "politics" involved as well.

I've been given some pretty good opportunities by various individuals over the years to get some exciting stuff.. I've paid for the photo plane a few times but have never been able to even come close to afford the fuel for the subject aircraft.. The fuel bill for such a flight would stagger!

Would it be wonderful to be able to get this shoot... yea!

Do I personally think I'm going to be included in any such opportunity...

Again, it would be nice and a HUGE amount of people would be able to enjoy the results... (something like 3,000 souls a day from around the world visit this site)... but will we get the opportunity?? Doubtful....

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Just to HEAR them flying around would be the sweetest thing ever! You know that whomever is involved, there will have to be a photo session at some point, where the less talented, equipped and connected of us will get to see more than one or two in the sky at once.
                    Can you imagine an arrival of 5-6 lightnings, in formation, breaking over Stead for landing?
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Well, we can dream! I know I am not leaving the field untill any or all arrive. Now who is going to help me shoot the 50 DC-3/C-47s that are doing the mass flyover at Oshkosh this year? There is no truth to the rumor that they are doing a mock airrace with these planes to promote Reno....

Chris who missed the three Tigercats in the air at once

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
                        I wish...
                        From Fencecheck.com...

There has not been such a gathering of Lightnings in over fifty years, and because of the high operating costs of the aircraft, coupled with the dwindling numbers of men and women originally associated with the P-38, it is very likely that such an event will not happen again. Because of that, Brewer and her team have pledged to do their best and make the weekend in Sacramento as memorable as possible.

There have never been more than two P-38s flying simultaneously in USAF Heritage Flight formations. This gathering may have three Heritage Flight-certified pilots in attendance, increasing the probability of having three of the aircraft in close formation with the California Capital Airshow’s headlining military demonstration aircraft, the F-22A Raptor. There has also been talk of having all six airplanes in the air at once, making the gathering a part of the actual flying program.

Perhaps you should get over to the California show. With your credentials and a few words you may just may be able to get that formation shot.

Full article text at http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/ind...?topic=19731.0

Comment

There are 7 P-38's that are more or less currently airworthy at the present:

23 Skiddo -Owned by POF:
                          MFR 1943. Rough air, bad light, awesome airplane! - Photo taken at In Flight in Idaho, USA on May 5, 2007.

Unnamed - Owned by Jeff Harris/Allied fighters:

Ruff Stuff - owned by Ron Fagen
                          Ex USAAF 44-27231 - Photo taken at Columbus - Rickenbacker International (Lockbourne AFB / ANGB) (LCK / KLCK) in Ohio, USA on September 29, 2007.

Tangerine - owned by the Tillamook Air Museum:

Glacier Girl - owned by Rod Lewis:
                          Assigned to the 94th Fighter Squadron, made an emergency landing in Greenland on Sept. 15, 1942 (crew survived), but was buried in ice for 50 years. Flew again in pristine condition in 2002. Named "Glacier Girl". Air Force Serial 41-7630. This plane is a 2005 Airventure Award winner: Grand Champion (World War 2). Owner: J. Roy Shoffner, Middlesboro, Ky. - Photo taken at Oshkosh - Wittman Regional (OSH / KOSH) in Wisconsin, USA on July 25, 2005.

Thoughts of Midnight - owned by the Friedkin family:
                          Aviation Nation 2009. - Photo taken at Las Vegas - Nellis AFB (LSV / KLSV) in Nevada, USA on November 14, 2009.

Red Bull P-38 - owned by the Red Bull Corporation:

There are probably another 2 or 3 that are in airworthy condition, but will never fly again unless they change ownership.

If I were to guess, I would say all of the above 7 except for the Red Bull and Tillamook example would show up.

The Red Bull P-38 is currently overseas and based in Austria. I seriously doubt it would be shipped or flown back to the U.S. just for this occasion, as it already attended several U.S. Airshows prior to it's departure to Austria after restoration here in the States.

The Tillamook P-38 only flew recently after some 10 to 12 years of remaining static. It is very rarely flown, probably only a few times since restoration and has never left it's local area. I sincerely doubt the Museum would allow it to travel so far, especially since they already lost another P-38 in a fatal crash over a decade ago.

So, I would guess that the remaining 5 would probably be the ones to attend the Capitol airshow and Reno this year.
                          Last edited by dvddude; 05-27-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

what about the one at chino is it porkys??or was it museum of flyings the on with major bong on the nose
                            Last edited by h34race; 05-27-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

five 38s (in the air or not) would be enough for me to drive the whole hour to Sacramento :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X