This is Air Racing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Air Racing???

Like many others here, I'm not a fan of RRL. That said, let's not rush to judgment on the concept. Like it or not (and I'm a bit in the latter vein), all this new-fangled techno-stuff has us living the land of "1"'s and "0"'s and that's right up the alley for the iPhone crowd.

There's nothing like the sights and sounds of rounds (and in-lines!) and here's hoping we continue to enjoy that rush form many years to coming the desert north of Reno however; there's likely a place for all of these to co-exists and, somewhat reluctantly, I support their efforts and applaud their efforts to get the younger set involved.

May not be a great analogy but I recall the days when the Unlimited Hydroplane racing teams started to experiment with turbine powerplants instead of the Merlins, Allisions, and Griffons. Folks said it would ruin the sport...no heart-pounding pistons swapping cylinders and exploding hydro-carbons that could be heard miles away. To some degree, those folks were correct...the APBA Hydroplane circuit stuggles to survive, but one thing is true...the truly competative piston-driven boys are all long gone.
    ee
    Let's not dismiss the RRL quite so quickly. If the RRL gets the younger set involved in aviation to any degree, we are all the better for it. Don't see the RRL drawing fan base away from NCAR...quite the contrary. The RRL folks who are exposed to the sport for the first time may just show up at Stead in September as well..and that's a good thing! Frankly, my concern is NCAR is aging sport with aging participants and fan-base. Younger blood is required to survive. If a cetain percentage of those folks happen to be RRL fans as well, I say "Welcome Aboard!"
    Last edited by Air Boss; 05-12-2010, 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar, puncuation
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Having watched Dave race, many, many times, I can tell you that for me, watching the RRL demo was one of the MOST exciting aviation events I have seen in years. The Highway in the Sky course concept, the four cameras including in-cockpit views, the prerace prep, it was really really fun to be part of all that. I, along with four or five hundred other race fans, watched it on Livestream.com

At the time I posted, Reno could learn a lot about broadcasting a race from this. I hope someone was watching! Lots of fun for the race fans.

Karen Morss
      A Racer's Wife

Comment

Originally posted by KarenMorss View Post
        Having watched Dave race, many, many times, I can tell you that for me, watching the RRL demo was one of the MOST exciting aviation events I have seen in years. The Highway in the Sky course concept, the four cameras including in-cockpit views, the prerace prep, it was really really fun to be part of all that. I, along with four or five hundred other race fans, watched it on Livestream.com

At the time I posted, Reno could learn a lot about broadcasting a race from this. I hope someone was watching! Lots of fun for the race fans.

Karen Morss
        A Racer's Wife
        Dave and Karen,
        I bet that was indeed alot of fun. I would go see a RRL event, its not reno but its still racin.
        I dont care what it is, lawnmowers, school busses, warbirds, F-1 and NASCAR. If it has a motor (any will do) I am so there. Best of luck to RRL, cant wait to see them race one day.

Comment

a man after my own heart! If it is a powered vehicle (electric motor , internal combustion engine , turbine powered , rocket ,etc ) I will watch it race .
          Nice thing about The ESPN channels and The Speed Channel. They cover all sorts of the weird and oddball racing .
          blacksheep
          Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep View Post
            Nice thing about The ESPN channels and The Speed Channel. They cover all sorts of the weird and oddball racing .
            Whatever happened to power tool racing? I haven't seen it on the pixel panel for a couple of years now.

Comment

Stumbled on the annual "Brinnon, Washington Shrimp Fest Power Belt Snader Racing League" last summer. Got a picture or two somewhere that i'll see if I can dig up. You gotta love Americana!
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
                Whatever happened to power tool racing? I haven't seen it on the pixel panel for a couple of years now.
                <perk> Power tool racing?

Comment

Uh, that's "...Belt Sander Racing..." below. Dang fingers, anyway.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Only in America...
                    Attached Files
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

Belt sanders.....HA! I'm talkin' stripped down hopped up unlimited power saws, disc grinders, power planes and stuff like that.

Races were held in a California surplus store parking lot and they ran the tools down a wood "track" sitting on the ground. Fifty foot extension cord as I recall and some of the Unlimiteds could hit 80+ mph before they "unplugged" themselves. And there were a lot of "wrecks" too.

Comment

Working...
                      X