This is Air Racing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Air Racing???

Give me pistons and props or give me death!!
    Last edited by supercub; 05-09-2010, 09:48 PM.

Re: This is Air Racing???

not air racing in my book.

Comment

nope it aint racing.... give me piston engines and heavy iron
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

...its not air racing and its not even an exciting video game. I wish these guys would just burn through their investors money and go broke already. I don't see how they can compare it to nascar. the planes are slower, there is no side by side racing, the planes are so far away, you have to watch it on the big screen or on you I-phone.
        I don't see it being successful

Comment

Very disappointing responses.

I applaud any organization that continues to try to expand aviation before the public. Yes, RRL has have many difficulties and may not survive, but these are some great innovative ideas that speak directly to the technology driven youth of today.

Just like there is SCCA, NHRA, NASCAR, IRL, F1, Touring Car, etc. etc. There is no reason why different forms of air racing can not exist together.

Elitist attitudes will result in the death of the sport, not it's expansion.
          John Smutny

Comment

Originally posted by eagledriver View Post
            Very disappointing responses.

I applaud any organization that continues to try to expand aviation before the public. Yes, RRL has have many difficulties and may not survive, but these are some great innovative ideas that speak directly to the technology driven youth of today.

Just like there is SCCA, NHRA, NASCAR, IRL, F1, Touring Car, etc. etc. There is no reason why different forms of air racing can not exist together.

Elitist attitudes will result in the death of the sport, not it's expansion.
            The problem is that people will come watch the NHRA, NA$CAR, IRL and F1. SCCA on the other hand is not a spectator sport. 99% of the people are only there if they are with a team. The rocket racing farse will be the same way. They my have a few pilots, but that series will never draw enough interest to sustain itself.

Comment

Race5 -

Whether or not RRL in particular is going to make it or not is immaterial to my point.

Different types of racing is good for aviation. Be it Red Bull, Acro Racing, SARL, Reno or RRL. It gets people excited about flying.

I put SCCA in the list specifically because it has a very small spectator turnout, mainly family members and friends of those competing. Much like aerobatic competition that I partake in. By no means does competitive aerobatics take away from air show performers, much like cross country air racing will never take away from Reno. But it is air racing.

It may not be your cup of tea, but ridiculing it or dismissing it all together does not promote aviation.
              Last edited by eagledriver; 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM.
              John Smutny

Comment

Actually there are many types of air racing. This board and some of the very closed minded spectators that are most vocal really support closed course pylon racing. I am and have been involved with the development of many types of air racing. The Sport Class was bad mouthed because they were just little toy planes and not the Unlimiteds. Well that class is now the fastest growing class and is very popular some even consider it air racing. Im also involved with the rocket racing league,as a test pilot and as a race team pilot. Starting a new sport is a very daunting task for sure but what is to be gained by saying its not air racing. Air racing is just barely holding on at reno ,forward thinking people should be trying to get as much attention to racing as possible so when reno gets closed by public incursion, we have someplace else to race. Maybe by adding some closed course racing to a red bull or rrl event. But this next week im going air racing in the most challenging venue I participate in soaring. a week long challenge of man and machine over nature,and no spectators ,no money ,no glory but is it air racing I say yes
                dave
                Attached Files
                www.davemorss.com

Comment

I think it looks really cool. I remember seeing a rocket racer at Reno 2 years ago and it was pretty cool. I think any racing is good racing and Red Bull has be really fun to fly in!

Evan
                  http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Well said Dave.

Chris G.
                    Extra 300

Comment

I wish you luck Dave, I'm not that closed minded, hell I'll watch anything race on TV, but I will not watch the RRL. I just don't think it's going to work.

Comment

the odds are very much against it,but the appeal to the young gamers might help. Imagine that tv carries it as well as red bull racing ,they do well and look for more things air racing (closed course pylon).wouldnt it be cool to have to pick which air racing to tevo
                        dave
                        www.davemorss.com

Comment

I dont know if any of you are familiar with the term "Fudd" or even the world it comes from, but those people who bad mouth any aviation sport that is not closed course pylon racing, be it Red Bull or the Rocket league, are, in my mind, Fudds.
                          Last edited by flyingjibus; 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Well said Dave. Any form of winged vehicle racing that captivates and inspires interest in aviation is worth supporting, or at the very least should not be bashed just because it's not "your cup of tea". I can remember just a few short years ago when the Sport Class came on the scene and was dismissed by most "real race" fans as "a buch of boring plastic planes". Today thanks to your pioneering efforts as well as others such as Darryl and the cutting edge inovations of the NXT and Blue Thunder teams the Super Sport Class Gold Race is next the Unitd. Gold the most looked forward to race at Reno. Will the RRL ever hold a race, let alone a series, only time will tell.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by morss View Post
                              the odds are very much against it,but the appeal to the young gamers might help. Imagine that tv carries it as well as red bull racing ,they do well and look for more things air racing (closed course pylon).wouldnt it be cool to have to pick which air racing to tevo
                              dave
                              Interesting thoughts Dave.. Though I'm not a fan of the RRL, and I personally thought the demo at Oshkosh a couple years ago was fairly non-exciting, I watched the crowd watching the demo and they were mostly pretty favorable and enjoying it...

So I agree, anything that is air racing, that makes it, helps "our" sport..

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X