Lyle Shelton - Pylon 9 lap 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lyle Shelton - Pylon 9 lap 8

Your family is in my thoughts. Thank you Lyle, for figuring out way back when, that a R-2800 was just not going to cut it.

Comment

Lyle was a hero to me throughout 33 years of air racing as my passion. I truly don't know if my interest in the sport would be anything like it has been without Lyle and "the Bear".

Although the Bear was no longer his, Lyle always was and always will be the person in fans' hearts whenever the Bear flies.

It's kind of like hearing "Proud to be an American" and not picturing Rick Brickert in the Red Knight.

We have lost a number of great pilots over the years, but when Lyle passes, our sport will have undeniably lost a giant.

God bless you, John, and all of those close to Lyle.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with Lyle and family, what a footprint he's gonna leave us, so many great memories

God Speed Mr. Shelton
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Wow what a sad bit of news. So much of that going on right now. With the Al Goss Memorial coming up and now this news. I came up with this lil poem. Hope it's not to corny.

We think of people
          Of icons
          Family
          We think of losing them
          Or their already gone

People that have touched or lives
          Touched our hearts
          Brought tears of joy and sorrow
          Excitement and thrills
          Lasting impressions

What we need to do is think of them
          Think of them often
          The memories are all we have
          They are how we keep them alive in our hearts
          Keep the memories in your heart

That’s all we have
          All we can do
          So share those memories
          With family and friends
          Then share them again

Eric4.08.10
          Last edited by ebutner; 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM. Reason: sp
          Cheers

Comment

god this is hard for me to write because i had meet Lyle at reno 99 my first time there and every time i saw him till he sold the BEAR he was always so nice to me and always had time to talk to me even if it was for only 2 minutes .

so as a tribute when i get the business going i will make all of the air craft that he flew in decal form as a way of saying thank you.

but we should always remember him as the fastest prop pilot ever 529mph in the RARE BEAR

and i will always remember that he toke a pile of scrap and made it in to the famous RARE BEAR that we know to day and rare bear or able cat or what ever you remember the plane as will be his flying tribute all ways and thats all i have to say

Comment

Thank you John for telling us about his health.
              My thoughts and prayers are with Lyle. I'm very sad.
              I always think this kind of man is eternal, never passes by.

Comment

To Joyce and John,

It is hard to accept that the ultimate speed seeker is slowing down for his final landing. When I asked him a question, fielded from a fan, "Does Lyle have a death wish?", he paused before replying in a quiet voice, "No, I think I just love flying more than most people."
                His deep love of flying left many of us with exciting memories of watching the best in the air. We share your sorrow as he rounds his last pylon.

FLY FAST LYLE!

Dell

Comment

Wow. Your father is a Legend and a Hero to many.

Thank you for sharing this information John. Lyle and the teams accomplishments in the Bear will be in our thoughts always.

Cheers, Lyle and left turns forever....

Glen and Max Merritt
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Many years ago as a kid, Rare Bear was at Reno--I'm thinking early 70's, having some problems. There was an old flat bed trailer that had what looked like a very well used 3350 on it on some kind of stand. I looked up to Lyle Shelton as my ultimate hero. I had never tried to talk to him in the pits because of the response I had gotten from some of other crews in the pits--particularly several P-51 crews. They just didn't want to be bothered by a kid that had eyes as big as door knobs and was trying to soak everything in all at once. As I was standing looking at that trailer with the 3350 on it, I felt a presence all of the sudden and turned around and there was Lyle Shelton standing right behind me. No one else was around. I was totally tongue- tied and didn't know what to say. He was so cool. He asked me if I knew what that engine was and I stuttered out a reply and he just started talking to me like he somehow knew me. I was totally star-struck. He must have spent a good 6-7 minutes talking to me about the engine and Rare Bear. He was so kind and so gracious. After that time I worshipped the ground that man walked on. He was the very first air racer to take the time to talk to some insignificant little kid. I was so impressed that even though I had been a Rare Bear fan up to that point, I was now so die-hard Rare Bear that I came to Reno just to see him fly that airplane like no one else could fly any airplane in my opinion. What a great guy and not only will he be missed, the world will be a poorer place without him around. One of my biggest heros will have left us. Thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. I will always have a warm spot in my heart for him and Rare Bear!

Comment

Lyle gave me a chance to help him and the Rare Bear team. He answered so many of my stupid questions with patience and a smile. He shared a so many amazing stories and ideas that I will have forever.

I will miss him and treasure the memories.

My best to you John and the Shelton family.

Fly Fast!

Don
                      Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
                      Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Kind of ironic, our Legacy of Speed calender has Lyle in the purple "Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine Special" (1975 guise) for the month of April. I just uploaded a video (from super8mm) of the 1975 Mojave Gold race, there's two passes that are mind bending, he was a "racers racer" to be sure.

This is for you John

Here we have two Mojave Championship Air Races from 1975 and 1976, both Gold finals. Keep in mind, this was shot with Super 8mm ( by my dad), before we had v...

Regards,

Sierra Fox
                        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Hersch View Post
                          To Joyce and John,

It is hard to accept that the ultimate speed seeker is slowing down for his final landing. When I asked him a question, fielded from a fan, "Does Lyle have a death wish?", he paused before replying in a quiet voice, "No, I think I just love flying more than most people."
                          His deep love of flying left many of us with exciting memories of watching the best in the air. We share your sorrow as he rounds his last pylon.

FLY FAST LYLE!

Dell
                          Dell,
                          Thank you for thinking of my Mom, along with my Dad. She is devastated and beyond sad.
                          John
                          John Slack

Comment

Working...
                          X