Princess Marge P-51B/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess Marge P-51B/C

Hey everyone, I know this is a little off topic but I just acquired this photo of my grandfather on the wing of his Mustang and thought I’d share it with everyone. He was in the 9th AAF and was one shy of being an ace.

Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Re: Princess Marge P-51B/C

Very very cool, thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Way cool, love the history!
      Cheers

Comment

You won't see any award winning authentic restorations today that look like that.

Jarrod

edit: Comparing it to today's high polished aircraft with superb professional paint versus a worn aircraft used on the front lines during a war.
        Last edited by jarrodeu; 02-02-2010, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Hey, Jason. I'm following this story here and at WAP.

So what's the story behind your grandfather and the Mustang? Who is Princess Marge?

Comment

Great photo shot. The real world back then.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

OFF TOPIC?

Mustang pics are never off topic. Not even on a lingerie blog.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
                Who is Princess Marge?
                I'd assume that would be Her Royal Highness, the Princess Margret, daughter of King George VI, sovereign of the British Commonwealth during the Second World War. I know for certain there was at least one "Princess Elizabeth" P51 (named after the present day queen http://www.mustangsmustangs.org/p-51...43-25147.shtml) so suspect this would be her sister's namesake.

cheers
                Scott
                Last edited by Low-n-Slow; 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=jarrodeu;77777]You won't see any award winning authentic restorations today that look like that.

Jarrod

Agreed. Restorations are now "fresh from the factory"
                  How long before someone restores one "fresh from the battlefield"

TJ

Comment

Thanks guys,
                    It was great getting this picture from my uncle and I hope to find more soon…. Actually there is one on the www.mustangsmustangs.com web page, http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...ary/eto/9.html which looks to be taken around the same time. As I said on the other site the plane was named after my grandmother and I would give anything to be able have a B/C model Mustang built up and painted in the same markings. Having a Warbird done up in an authentic War time scheme is one thing but to have one with one’s family name on it would just be awesome. Also, like I said on the other site I’m still trying to get all the facts about his WWII services but I do know that he was in the 9th AAF and with either the 363rd or 362nd Fighter Group, I’ll have to sit down with my uncle and get more info. He survived the war to go onto fight in the Korean War flying the F-80s and was put on the cover of Life magazine for his part in the first American jet squadron to down an enemy aircraft. Here’s a little excerpt from the “Air Force Historical Studies Office” page “Not to be outdone by their prop-driven compatriots, FEAF F-80Cs also scored on the 27th. That afternoon, a quartet of Shooting Stars from the 8th FBW's 35th Fighter Bomber Squadron (FBS) were orbiting Kimpo airfield when eight Il-10s darted underneath them and began strafing the field. Before the Americans could interfere, the enemy planes destroyed seven ROKAF aircraft caught on the ground. The North Korean's joy in their victories was short-lived. First Lieutenant Robert E. Wayne bagged two of the attackers as they pulled out of their runs, while Capt. Raymond E. Schillereff and 1st Lt. Robert H. Dewald each shot down an Il-10. The remaining enemy planes quickly scooted for home. The three Americans had scored the first jet aircraft victories of the war.”
                    Here is the Life magazine on Google books- http://books.google.com/books?id=fUo...age&q=&f=false

Jason
                    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Now that is really great -- not only on the cover of the great magazine of the time, but photographed by David Douglas Duncan, one of the all time great war photographers. I've admired Duncan since I was a kid.

Jason, have you tried posting this over on WIX? There are many serious WWII historians over there who should be able to tell you pretty much anything you want to know about your uncle's service.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                        Now that is really great -- not only on the cover of the great magazine of the time, but photographed by David Douglas Duncan, one of the all time great war photographers. I've admired Duncan since I was a kid.

Jason, have you tried posting this over on WIX? There are many serious WWII historians over there who should be able to tell you pretty much anything you want to know about your uncle's service.

Neal
                        That was my next place to post the photo; it’s amazing the knowledge that some of these guys have especially some rare and unseen wartime photos.
                        Speaking of the Life cover shot, if you look at his left hand and the look on his face there’s a funny side story to that shot. When they got back from the mission and found out that there was going to be an official photo taken my grandfather was the lucky (Or unlucky one depending who you asked at the time) one getting it taken. Just out of the shot stood both other pilots heckling him and talking smack, so he threw them the bird and it ended up on the cover.
                        Jason
                        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Now that's a classic bird story.

Comment

Great story! I had not noticed the hand, but had wondered about the odd look on his face, and the fact that he's looking off camera like that.

I'd love to see Duncan's contact sheet for that roll of film...

Neal

Comment

Great stuff, thanks for sharing Jason. A friend of my wife's recently sent me e-mails of some photos from an old album of his that were taken on carriers in WWII. I didn't know about his navy service until he sent the photos. Will see if he'll give me permission to share them here with everyone.
                              Russ
                              Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Working...
                              X