• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John Crocker

A really extrodinary pictorial essay Neal - thanks again sir
    Mark K....

Comment

You're welcome Mark -- I'm just glad others are enjoying it as much as I am. It's nice for me to be able to share some memories and have people find my meanderings interesting. It's also nice to see on screen that so much of my work from so long ago holds up so well, quality-wise...

Neal

Comment

So I wonder if anyone has pictures from Bakersfield 1985, after someone who shall remain nameless went around and 'zapped' every Unlimited on the field with Wiley Sanders Trucking Line stickers? Some were outside. A couple were 'inside'. I hear the one on Crocker's plane was a little tough to find....

Comment

Neal, im loving this thread, thank you for starting it, i love all the pics of one of the sexiest P-51 racers around... and the stories going with them, im soaking up all this history down here in NZ fueling the desire to get to Reno even more!
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Awesome Thread.

My humble contribution
            Attached Files

Comment

Shawn-

Crocker actually raced four different P-51s @ Reno (#9, #2, #6 & #27). Neal has some dandy shots of at least three of them in action (+ the A-26)

Hey Jibus- I LIKE that shot! ('Bout time we saw some more photo offerings from others on this thread!) THX f/posting it!

DBD
              Last edited by BuckyD; 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

This is a very cool picture that my dad took of the Cal warbirds club B-25 9G comming to Tracy John was checking out a pilot in it. The Pilot he was checking out was Jim Orton. Shawn
                Attached Files

Comment

Anybody got a picture of Rear Bear's tail with the Bear Crushing a Mustang they'd like to share? Hey it would be great if the shot is in color and has the blue stripe on it (smile), but I'd be satisfied with one without the stripe. That was my favorite part of the Bear's paint scheme.

Thanks,
                  Willie

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    In 1979 John won the Gold Race. Shortly after the end of that race John's friend Steve Hinton crashed in the Red Baron, and John, along with everyone else, thought Steve had perished. It took John a while to land to accept his trophy...

But Steve survived, and though not in racing shape returned to Reno the next year. During qualifying John checked Steve out and sent him flying in #6 -- race engine and all. I think Steve was just the third person, after John and Dan Martin, ever to fly the airplane after John bought it in 1976.

i was looking at this pic and thinking wow how cool is that... a legend showing another around his office.. but i then looking at the name on the cowl, i was wondering what is in the brackets under sumthin else?
                    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                      i was looking at this pic and thinking wow how cool is that... a legend showing another around his office.. but i then looking at the name on the cowl, i was wondering what is in the brackets under sumthin else?
                      The plane used to be Ken Burstien's (sp?) and was called Foxy Lady with some racy artwork. The story goes that Crocker wanted to distance himself from that moniker and when it came time to name it, he said "Sumpthin Else", meaning NOT Foxy Lady and it stuck.

I'm sure Big Jim will be along soon.....
                      Last edited by Red; 02-02-2010, 07:39 AM.
                      Red
                      chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                        Hi Kiwi -

The answer to your question: "Sumthin Else" (is Miss 'O') = Olivia Crocker, John's wife.

Here's another mini-gallery of photos to add to this thread, saluting some key personnel on John Crocker's crew who worked very hard to keep Race #6 flyin' & in the competition.

DBD
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
                          Anybody got a picture of Rear Bear's tail with the Bear Crushing a Mustang they'd like to share? Hey it would be great if the shot is in color and has the blue stripe on it (smile), but I'd be satisfied with one without the stripe. That was my favorite part of the Bear's paint scheme.

Thanks,
                          Willie
                          Hi Willie-

See Reply post #13 on this thread. Sure 'somebody' has a more detailed shot of this tail art, in color, I am sure.

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post

Thanks,
                            Willie
                            This help?
                            Last edited by FENCELINER; 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Many thanks to all of you for a wonderful trip down memory lane. Our first race was 1974 and we've missed 2 since, 75 and 84. Another thing I can't believe is how built up the valley of speed area has become. Remember when the helo dropped the car or was it a bus on the east/west runway. I also remember hearing Bob calling for the coroner when Steve went down in the Red Baron. So many good memories, thanks again for a great thread.
                              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
                                The plane used to be Ken Burstien's (sp?) and was called Foxy Lady with some racy artwork. The story goes that Crocker wanted to distance himself from that moniker and when it came time to name it, he said "Sumpthin Else", meaning NOT Foxy Lady and it stuck.

I'm sure Big Jim will be along soon.....
                                It says "(is Miss O)"...which, if I remember right, John's wife was named Olivia? Long time ago...and my memory is fading by the minute. So the full name is "Sumthin' Else (is Miss O)", I'm assuming a nod to his wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X