Comment

Re: John Crocker

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
      What Mustang is S.E. now?
      Crazy Horse 2

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        1984...between pylon 2 and 3 up on the hill.

On of the "Sportscenter highlights of my mind" of all the years I've been at Reno. But what I remember was Howard being on the outside and slightly in front of Bob--at least the view from the pit area--and moving in at an angle, so Bob pulling up, rolling to the right over the top of Howard, and ending up on his outside. People around me were thinking he got caught in propwash or something, and all I could think to myself was 'Oh, no way...that was on purpose!'

Thanks Big Jim for refreshing my old memory banks. And yes you were correct Bob did it on purpose. I'd shutter to think what the officials wold do now if this were to happen again.

Willie

Comment

That's the kind of stuff I usually miss 'cause my eye's in a viewfinder...

Here's a couple of early shots of #6

Comment

Anybody recognise that Harvard on the left?

Comment

Did "Sumthin Else" always run the the Aeroprop? I just noticed from the last set of great pics, thanx.

Comment

Yes it did, and the seals always leaked. I have many photos of various crews working on those prop seals.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                  Anybody recognise that Harvard on the left?

Looks like Gary Meerman's T-6...which I believe ended up being Tom Dwelle's Tinkertoy.

And the C-133 is unmistakeably from Mojave 1979.

Comment

Yep -- that was right after it was painted after Gary's restoration. It has always been a fast airplane. Ken Dwelle says that there is some really wonderful metal work on that machine...

Neal

Comment

Yes it did, and the seals always leaked. I have many photos of various crews working on those prop seals.

IIRC the leaking seals contributed to No. 6's DQ for crossing the deadline on every lap of the '76 Gold final (though running way out in front). I love the look of the prop but I can't imagine how frustrating they must be when powered by a strong Merlin.

Comment

This has been a wonderful thread. Thank you for starting it, Neal. I realize it is about John Crocker and Sumthin' Else...but the photos you have from 1976 are gorgeous...from an era that not a lot of color photos have been published. I'm wondering if you might have pics of other Unlimiteds from 1976 that you could share? I see Leeward's "Miss Florida" in one shot. Perhaps you have some of Mac McClain in "Red Baron", Don Whittington in "Precious Metal" (or, "Miss Florida III", as it's 'entered-name'), Lefty Gardner in "Thunderbird"?

Due to the circumstances, though a small field it was rather diverse and interesting--as much for the regulars who WEREN'T there (the Bearcats of Greenamyer and Shelton, "Baby Gorilla" "Miss Candace", "Double Trouble", the Whittington's HA-1112...most of which were out with mechanical troubles enroute to the races) as for who/what was. Gary Levitz running Jack Sandberg's "Tispy Miss", Darryl Greenamyer in "Flying Undertaker", Bob Forbes in the #62 Tigercat-firebomber, and one of my personal favorites, Ed Messick in the former "Mr. Mennen" P-39 in CAF colors. A young rookie named Steve Hinton in Jack Flahrety's P-63 as well. And though it had briefly appeared in 1970, the first 'annual' race-appearance of a white/red/blue P-38 named "White Lightnin".

Would love to take a stroll down memory lane if you'd care to share with the masses.

Comment

Lots of late evenings and cold greasy hands...

Comment

For Big Jim...

Steve Hinton's first Reno Race!

At some point I'll run some more '76 stuff for you. Jim, but right now I'm having fun with Crocker stuff.

Neal

Comment

For Big Jim...

Steve Hinton's first Reno Race!

At some point I'll run some more '76 stuff for you. Jim, but right now I'm having fun with Crocker stuff.

Neal

Bravo! Something you don't see every day. A P-63 leading a P-38 and P-39.

But more than all else, look at what the pilots of 35years ago had to deal with...buildings and power lines on the race course!

Comment

Lots of late evenings and cold greasy hands...

See, you can "fix" props with a hammer!! Unfortunately we had way too much practice with that prop!! We did it with flashlights at 10pm one year. Thanks, Neal

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X