John Crocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John Crocker

Being checked out by Bill Destefani in "Strega"...

Comment

With Bob Yancey, during pilot intros before the Gold Race in 1989

And talking with Ron Hevle at the Awards Banquet that same year.

Comment

John Crocker with rookie Neil Anderson at Reno 1983...

Comment

In 1979 John won the Gold Race. Shortly after the end of that race John's friend Steve Hinton crashed in the Red Baron, and John, along with everyone else, thought Steve had perished. It took John a while to land to accept his trophy...

But Steve survived, and though not in racing shape returned to Reno the next year. During qualifying John checked Steve out and sent him flying in #6 -- race engine and all. I think Steve was just the third person, after John and Dan Martin, ever to fly the airplane after John bought it in 1976.

Last edited by wingman; 01-19-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

neal,
            a massive thanks for posting all of these pics of a brilliant racer.
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Neal, Thankyou it does bring back alot of memories. Rad

Comment

Awesome Neal!
                You need to put together one of those large format table books of your best air race photo's. Of course I'd have to get a special table to support the weight of a foot-thick book!

Thank you!
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Neal... awesome stuff as always. You should publish a book (or 100 - I'd buy 'em)

I don't have much to contibute to this thread, other then to say.... this sits in a hangar, somehwere, on some not-so-forgotten shelf... waiting patiently for someone to show her a little love.

I like a story with a cliffhanger, don't you
                  Mark K....

Comment

Great pictures Neal & as said "Lots of Memories". Boy I am getting old. Someday they will have a brain scanner that can print all those memories (only the good ones).
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

I'm glad y'all are enjoying these "moldy oldies" that Bucky and I and others are putting up. I think it's important to honour the history of our sport, and especially the remarkable people who made that history.

It does make me feel old, though, to put "copyright 1980" on a picture.

I'd also like to publicly thank Bucky Dawson for bringing me to my first Reno so long ago, and for getting me my first Press Pass! He did start something there.

Also, for those that enjoy this old stuff I've done a couple of these long historical threads over on Scotty Germain's Warbirdaeropress site also. There's one going now in the photography forum, and in the Unlimited forum one on the 1985 Moose Jaw race and one on the Whittington Brothers that you'll have to dig back for.

Neal

Comment

I would like to add my appreciation to Neal, DBD and other contributors for all the vintage stuff. What a great way to spend winter! My first Reno was '77 so some stuff I have seen but a lot I haven't since I didn't attend every year since.

Thanks again guys. Keep it coming.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
                          Neal... awesome stuff as always. You should publish a book (or 100 - I'd buy 'em)

I don't have much to contibute to this thread, other then to say.... this sits in a hangar, somehwere, on some not-so-forgotten shelf... waiting patiently for someone to show her a little love.

I like a story with a cliffhanger, don't you

Actually that canopy now resides on Leeward's Galloping Ghost.

Comment

How awesome is it to see "rookie" and "Neil Anderson" in the same sentence.

Comment

I was wondering if anybody would notice that...

Comment

Wow, wow, wow,

Neal you not only filled my request, you put out a volume of extremely high quality words to go with the photos.

I can't thank you and the others that have added to the thread.

I've been fortunate to have been with giants. Giants of the sport of Unlimited Air Racing. When I say giants that includes the mechanics, engine builders, crew members, photographers and klingons that have made the sport what it is today.

The photographers are yourself, BuckyD and Phil Wallick. If it weren't for you guys and a few others there would be no comprehensive photo record of the modern era of Unlimited Air Racing at Reno.

The old saying is always true; "a picture is worth a thousand words". We see the words that your pictures have caused to come forth.

I've had the pleasure to have been at the right place and the right time to see John, Bob (Love), Neal, Tiger, Tommy, Rick, Ron, Mac, Skip, Bob (Yancy), Steve, Steve O, John (Hinton), Danny, Krech, Dwight, Mike (Bogue), Teddy, Wayne, Mike', Jack and Silvia, Cindy, Bill (Harrison) Rick, (Rutterman) and many more. These names are Reno.

The names belonging to those that have passed on to "blue skies" gave time money, blood, sweat and tears to "fly low, fly fast and turn left". The names that are still under the "blue skies" and still "vertical" try to carry on. Fly Fast, Fly Low, and Turn Left.

Those of you who read the postings on this sight who have never been to the "Big Show" as Bob Love called it need to get off the couch come September and see it in person....No hear it in person. There is no sound like the sound of the pack of Gold Final Unlimiteds echoing off the low hills, down the "Valley of Speed" full tilt coming to pylon eight. Cause the sound and its sound wave has to be experienced in person.

Reno....September....See Ya!

Thank You Neal.

Willie

Comment

Working...
                                X