X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tsunami construction photos

Originally posted by SCEPTER View Post
    Great job!

looks like we know who the pilot is going to be.......
    Dasher?

I thought we were supposed to be keeping that quiet.....

Comment

delete post please
      Last edited by John H; 08-26-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

J.R. it was great to see you and your family at the races but better yet it was great to see the plane and the interest it was getting. We're all pulling for you guys, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post

One story he told me about was when they were doing flutter tests up in St Cloud, MN a month before Reno 91. Skip said he would go to about 10,000' roll inverted, dive straight down and push the throttle full. When he got to 600 + knots he would release the controls and hit the stick as hard as he could to get the plane to vibrate. He was doing this all day until the last time the right elevator ripped off the plane and the left one broke along with the 1 1/2" actuator rod. At that point he was barreling straight down starring at a corn field. He radioed Jack and told him his situation, Jack told him to get out. The canopy wouldn't open and the trim wouldn't respond.
          I remember this story! Somewhere around here I have audio tape I recorded of Jack describing this at Reno 91. I only met him the first time there. The month before I spent several days trying to track him down by phone, as I was writing a story about the CAF Bearcat (now at Camarillo) that he was sponsoring, which was at Chino. When I finally got a hold of him, he was a great interview and very gracious person. I met him at Reno 91 and found him to be charming and just a great guy. I watched the gold race on his trailer as he tracked the airplane. The day of the accident I called both JRS and Fighter Rebuilders, because I was trying to find out when Jack was coming to fly the Bearcat. JRS was silent said they didn't know anything, understandably- they weren't going to say what had just happened. Fighter Rebuilders told me what happened when I called them next. It was a terrible day and so strange that I picked that day to see what Jack was up to next. When I first heard of this rebuild I was skeptical, but in the days since Reno after seeing the tail section and display and talking with you guys, I am completely behind it and excited to see what you guys are doing. Now is definitely the time. By the way John, I was riding the tractor and rolling by the Tsunami booth on Sat and I saw you and your brother looking skyward.. Your brother looks so much like JRS it's uncanny, it was like I was seeing Jack again. All the best.
          Last edited by John H; 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

These are great photos of the original building of Tsunami. We did rescue a photo album that had numerous photos.

John S - it has been years since you have visited the booth - what have you been up to?

The booth at Reno for Tsunami was extremely well received. Duane is hoping to have new pictures on our web site by the end of October of additional progress of the project.

Also, we had several people commit to monthly donations for the rebuild project.

If any of you have questions about the project - you can contact either John Bjornstad or myself - Sharon Sandberg.

Have a great day.

Sharon Sandberg

P.S. the attached artwork was done by Taichi from Japan. He donated his time and talents for us. The conjue that is done in the artwork was from his 86 year old Mom. She came up with the idea in her dream in July sometime.
            Attached Files

Comment

any chance of returning to reno in the near future? that would be intresting.

Comment

Hi all..would like to introduce myself as a new member. My name is Chad..I grew up watching Red Baron race at Mojave and Reno as my stepfather was Ray Poe who was involved with the Red Baron project as well as the Tsunami project later on. I'm excited to see that Tsunami is being rebuilt. When I last saw him (he passed away the mid 90's (96?) he was excited about the work he and the team had done with Tsunami and I was saddened to hear about the crash. I vaguely remember meeting Bruce and Darryl (and I assume Steve though I don't remember being only 8 or 9) at our house in Acton, CA.
                Anyway, watching some of the current air races has brought back memories of those days. Good luck with the rebuilding!

Chad

Comment

Currently, we are pushing to be on the ramp (presence) for the 50th anniversary of Air Racing/Reno. We also, plan to go after the 3k speed record.

We have had several people step up to the platter to help us raise the $'s we need to re-build Tsunami. Kruse Aviation, Inc. has reduced his hourly rate to work on the aircraft full time.

So, all I can say is help us out with a $20 a month committment and she will get into the air faster.

Thanks, Sharon

P.S. The air racing part you will have to wait and see what happens----

Comment

Originally posted by Rebuild Tsunami View Post

P.S. the attached artwork was done by Taichi from Japan. He donated his time and talents for us. The conjue that is done in the artwork was from his 86 year old Mom. She came up with the idea in her dream in July sometime.
                    It was very nice to see you and your family at Reno.
                    My big pleasure seeing T-shirts with my mom's Kanji brush calligraphy!

Taichi

Comment

Update?? Progress report? Somethin??
                      Thanks!

Comment

We are still trying to get all the details worked out, but I'll give you guys a little heads up.

For those of you who don't know about FlightExpo.org, it is the non-profit that is supporting the restoration of Tsunami. Also as of recent I have become more involved and took over the position of vice president.

Soon after coming on board, we all agreed the organization needed a change. We were trying to think of ways to stand out while still benefiting the aviation community. We decided on air racing. The idea fits our personal goals, it is unique, relevant, and above all will give recognition to the sport, the people involved and how its technology has changed the world.

Having said that we will be hosting a fundraiser in February. Skip Holm will be the key speaker and we are putting together a silent auction.

Here are just two of the donations that I find pretty cool...

Ron Fagen is donating a ride in his P-51 Sweet Revenge (which I may be more excited than others, because it was my grandfathers aka Platinum Plus)

And if you are up for it, Skip Holm will be training a lucky pilot at PRS next year. They will go through ground school and finally drop down on the course in his Bear 360

Flight Expo is relatively small and could use your help. If you are interested in finding out more or want to get involved, send me a message.

Comment

Thank you all for keeping in touch with us. Here is what is going on.

We have three different web site for you to browse and get information

Flight Expo Build A Plane - Aviation Education

We are also organizining an event on February 5, 2011. Skip Holm will be our main speaker. We have several unique silent auction items. All of the proceeds goes to rebuild Tsunami. We have contact Rouch Racing for an engine - hoping to have them at the event - still trying to confirmation. Tsunami is in Kruse Aviation's building having all of the componets taken off. (for Oshkosh and Reno we had to make the tail section look more like a tail section). Work is in progress.

For the invitation please go to our www.flightexpo.org web site or view the invite on our face book page for rebuildtsunami.

Have a great week - and we will start writing more frequently.

Thanks again guys for all of your support. We are looking forward to seeing Tsunami take the 3k record away from Rare Bear!

Comment

that bear 360 is very cool!they should start a racing class for it.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a while and thought you could use an update.

I just got back from spending ten days in Oshkosh and although I had a great time, it is good to be home. AirVenture is an amazing place and I have been lucky to meet a variety of wonderful and interesting individuals. Although Tsunami's home is in Reno, many EAA members were drawn to the booth and were happy to support the cause. The project has also generated a lot of interest from engineers and builders, many of whom have offered to help by donating there services and or expertise.

Aside from Oshkosh, the build continues to move forward. It may not be as fast as I had originally planned, but that's life. That being said, not a day goes by without having made forward progress.

Reno is coming fast and I hope to see you all there!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
                                It may not be as fast as I had originally planned, but that's life. That being said, not a day goes by without having made forward progress.
                                This quote could have been from 1982, 83, 84, and 85...

Not the first time this project took longer than planned. Just take your time and do it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X