Tsunami construction photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami construction photos

Thats awesome news.. id love to see Tsunami on the course with Dago, Strega, the Bear and more....
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

How about "Skip" as the driver? He did have a couple of 500+ MPH laps in it. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

I think getting Skip back in the saddle would be pretty cool. I wonder how he would feel about it? Also I'd like to pick his brain a little on what he would change about Tsunami. If anyone has his contact information, please send me a message.

Comment

Its been a long time since JRS's last flight in Tsunami... those photos are hard to look at..... even now.

I met the man once, left a long standing impression me.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing....

Comment

Originally posted by AlisoBob II View Post
            Its been a long time since JRS's last flight in Tsunami... those photos are hard to look at..... even now.

I met the man once, left a long standing impression me.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing....

How do you feel about RB51 construction photos?
            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
              I think getting Skip back in the saddle would be pretty cool. I wonder how he would feel about it? Also I'd like to pick his brain a little on what he would change about Tsunami. If anyone has his contact information, please send me a message.
              Wishing all the BEST in your project!!!!

and

Skip Holm seems to be pretty easy to find :

If 'ya google: Skip Holm CA , the search yields a phone number too.

http://www.skipholm.com/

(great stories on that website too!!)
              Last edited by Box A35; 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I personally wouldn't change the paint job. I thought Tsunami looked beautiful in the orange and light blue! Very striking!

Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I think this is pretty cool that you guys are bringing Tsunami back. Since you are looking to race it, you could perhaps look at other hybrid/home built Mustangs (such as MAII or any one of the current top P51s) and perhaps incorporate some of the leading edge tech (even if its not so cutting edge in the grand scheme of things) such as a full boil off system (could one fit?) or perhaps an NACA radiator scoop or other things along those lines. You have it all apart to rebuild it, now is the time to do it. Tsunami was fast, but it sort of seems like it never reached its full potential. With a current race Merlin and some other minor changes either to correct known issues from before, or updates, it could be right there with Strega, VooDoo or G.G.

It also offers a rare chance to go back and look at the coulda. shoulda, woulda, issues and fix them. If its a race plane, than it should be treated as one. Its already proven that some of the changes that were added later, didn't work (or work so well), so perhaps they should be removed or rethought. Mr Sandburg had some brilliant ideas, and I applaud his attempts to make the plane faster/better, but at the same time, it seems like he was trying to do too many things at once (I could be wrong, just an opinion based on things I have read.) Tinkering around on a car is one thing, on an airplane is a different story. Things such as the Aero-Star landing gear were light, but proved to be a little too light, however there was a good reason for them to be there, they were light, and that is what you want for a race plane.

My point is, look back to see what worked, and what didn't. Some things you will just have to live with, others you can perhaps make changes to, and hopefully when it returns to the air, you will have something that is even better than it was before. I think Mr Sandberg would like this approach (I never met the guy so I could be wrong.)

Good luck,
                  Will
                  Last edited by RAD2LTR; 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind they were not going to race it and now they are. When we (racing fans) think of Tsunami racing we think of it at the top.
                    Maybe they are going to "race" it but only for show and not all out. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Jarrod

Comment

Jarrodeu-

I fully understand your concerns on where Tsunami is headed. The rumors of her reconstruction have been going around for sometime (years) now and you've never seen any results. It's just as frustrating to me. Now being on board, I want to promote the project as much as possible, hopefully to gain the support of the fans and the attention of sponsors. "Crying wolf" the past decade is obviously hindering my ability to be taken seriously. All I can do is show you our progress and prove to you that Tsunami will make it back to Reno.

As for the level of competition, Tsunami will be at the top.

Comment

This plane must fly again! I'm a huge fan of Tsunami and hope that you guys will return her to the air where she belongs! "Race It" That goes without saying! I didnt personally know JR, but I'm sure he would want to continue with the program. You guys must document this rebuild,with not only photos but also a book down the road! I've been waiting for this day ever since 1991. This plane will still be competitive! Go Tsunami!

Comment

Great airplane, and great people invoved with her, then and now! Good luck! I would love to see her compete again...

Comment

Originally posted by LittleJR View Post
                            Jarrodeu-

I fully understand your concerns on where Tsunami is headed. The rumors of her reconstruction have been going around for sometime (years) now and you've never seen any results. It's just as frustrating to me. Now being on board, I want to promote the project as much as possible, hopefully to gain the support of the fans and the attention of sponsors. "Crying wolf" the past decade is obviously hindering my ability to be taken seriously. All I can do is show you our progress and prove to you that Tsunami will make it back to Reno.

As for the level of competition, Tsunami will be at the top.
                            I wasn't criticizing, just wondering what the plans were. At the top level of the competition or not, I would love to see it race.

Jarrod
                            Last edited by jarrodeu; 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Jarrod,

I apologize, if my last post came off as hostile. I didn't mean to target you. The point was to address the concerns of the fans. You brought up a legitimate question and I'm glad you did.

As for the rest of you, I took your advice and contacted Skip. He was incredibly helpful and in a nutshell, said he "couldn't wait" to fly her again!

Thanks for all the help guys,

John Bjornstad

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                                Great airplane, and great people invoved with her, then and now! Good luck! I would love to see her compete again...

SIIIICK

Thanks for posting it.
                                Elliot

Comment

Working...
                                X