Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami construction photos

Default Re: Tsunami construction photos

little JR those are AWSOME any more would like to see the rebuilding

Sounds like the plan is to fly it again......can you elaborate on the idea? race it? Show it?
    Red
    chanting...400+

I sat Sharon down today and discussed the plans for Tsunami. If it were completely up to me I'd race it; however she brought up valid opposing points. The fact is, the aircraft's technology is almost twenty years behind current competitors. We don't have the knowledge or the resources my grandpa had; and building a competitive racer would take considerably more money. Having said that, the plan is to replicate the 1991 version and fly it at air-shows.

I won't give up that easily. Over the next year I will be doing research and development on a modified version. Hopefully within that time frame I can start building the airframe simultaneously with the original.

I don't have anymore pictures at this time, but I'll get some up in the next day or two.

if you do that can you please paint it in the sliver/blue paint i would love to see that

Not often i feel the need to post BUT surely here is someone (little JR)who needs the help of all the wise heads and hands here on the board - how about a board thread like the blind mans buff-Tusnami is far too important a piece of RENO history to just let gather dust in a container or even a museum!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJR View Post
    I sat Sharon down today and discussed the plans for Tsunami. If it were completely up to me I'd race it; however she brought up valid opposing points. The fact is, the aircraft's technology is almost twenty years behind current competitors. We don't have the knowledge or the resources my grandpa had; and building a competitive racer would take considerably more money. Having said that, the plan is to replicate the 1991 version and fly it at air-shows.

I won't give up that easily. Over the next year I will be doing research and development on a modified version. Hopefully within that time frame I can start building the airframe simultaneously with the original.

I don't have anymore pictures at this time, but I'll get some up in the next day or two.
    I would bet with a modern engine program, that airplane would not be that far behind in it's 1991 form.

Quote Originally Posted by Paynts View Post
    Not often i feel the need to post BUT surely here is someone (little JR)who needs the help of all the wise heads and hands here on the board - how about a board thread like the blind mans buff-Tusnami is far too important a piece of RENO history to just let gather dust in a container or even a museum!
    You asked, I did it. It is a sticky at the top of the page.

Now if we can all get a donation going for JR and fam. to help get her rebuilt. We may see a tsunami sooner rather than later.

Thanks again guys for all the support. I can definitely use any advice you may have. This is all pretty new to me. When I got involved with the Tsunami project a couple months ago, I didnít have much of any aviation experience to speak of since I was young. I switched my major this semester to professional pilot, so I can do a little catching up. I fly as often as the weather permits and I have my first solo tomorrow. Fortunately my uncle is an A&P and an AI; heís leading the rebuilding process and also giving me a crash course on aircraft mechanics. Rebuilding Tsunami is my number one priority. Iíll give updates when I can and Iím hoping to update the website soon while incorporating a blog regarding the project.

BEARCLAW777, Iíll see what I can do on the paint scheme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	950 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	14761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	1069 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	14762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg 
Views:	1137 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	14763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg 
Views:	1003 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	14764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg 
Views:	972 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	14765  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pt17av8r View Post
    Actually, I am quite sure these photos were taken at the Van Nuys airport, just a few steps away from John O'Crawleys "Precision Air Radio". I would go out there as a kid and help buck rivets & general grunt stuff, and loved every second of it! I am not sure I ever went to the Sun Valley location. Of course....CRS is setting in....

Here are a couple more shots....

Dan
    Actually all the photo's shown are the Sun Valley location. The Van Nuys location was a sheet metal hanger with no block walls or roll up door. The photo's shown are clearly a block building. In addition the fuselage appears well along in its construction. It was actually constructed at Van Nuys in the end hanger rom near John O'Crowley's.

Just to give you all an update. Tsunami will become a racer again!

I put a page up on Facebook where I will be showing updates on her progress. Tsunami Air Racing