Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami construction photos

Default Re: Tsunami construction photos

Great update - thanks! I saw Tsunami race and would dearly love to see it race again, and share that with my daughter and grandson. I appreciate you posting here as I'm not a FB user. Even links to FB would be great.

Very happy I said something, made my day as well reading the whole story. I'm also incredibly impressed with how much progress has been made as I didn't know that the project 'realistically' started in 2015. I thought this was all the work that had been done since 2011 and it's amazing what has been done in 2-3 years.

Something I've wanted to ask about is when you have some free time or maybe have someone that would be willing to help you... On the FB page a few years back you posted a few pictures from the original build on a sheet of paper that outlined all of the parts and how many months they would take to make and the time frame of the Tsunami build (post is dated August 13, 2016). Is there any way you could make a new list like that just showing all of the steps that you have finished, are currently working on, and have planned? Also curious if you are following a similar time frame/ steps as the original build. I know aviation pretty well, but it's sometimes hard to determine from pictures what exactly you have in progress. As of what I've seen I think you have all of the jigs completed? Would be awesome to know how this project is progressing in comparison to how it was built the first time.

Crazy to look at those pictures and see from step 1 of the wing form blocks in January '80 to flights tests in November '81
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Very happy I said something, made my day as well reading the whole story. I'm also incredibly impressed with how much progress has been made as I didn't know that the project 'realistically' started in 2015. I thought this was all the work that had been done since 2011 and it's amazing what has been done in 2-3 years.

Something I've wanted to ask about is when you have some free time or maybe have someone that would be willing to help you... On the FB page a few years back you posted a few pictures from the original build on a sheet of paper that outlined all of the parts and how many months they would take to make and the time frame of the Tsunami build (post is dated August 13, 2016). Is there any way you could make a new list like that just showing all of the steps that you have finished, are currently working on, and have planned? Also curious if you are following a similar time frame/ steps as the original build. I know aviation pretty well, but it's sometimes hard to determine from pictures what exactly you have in progress. As of what I've seen I think you have all of the jigs completed? Would be awesome to know how this project is progressing in comparison to how it was built the first time.

Crazy to look at those pictures and see from step 1 of the wing form blocks in January '80 to flights tests in November '81
    Obviously there timeline quite was quite ambitious. I have been meaning to put together a gantt chart similarly to Bolands. So to answer your question, yes I can do that. I will back date it to 2015 through our expected completion. I certainly didn't plan to follow there timeline and I would have go back through old photos to find out if they built as planned, but for whatever reason I believe we have built in similar stages. That would be interesting to see. I'll put something together this week.

John

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJR View Post
    Obviously there timeline quite was quite ambitious. I have been meaning to put together a gantt chart similarly to Bolands. So to answer your question, yes I can do that. I will back date it to 2015 through our expected completion. I certainly didn't plan to follow there timeline and I would have go back through old photos to find out if they built as planned, but for whatever reason I believe we have built in similar stages. That would be interesting to see. I'll put something together this week.

John
    Looking forward to it! If anything it seems like in the original build they put together a jig then the part for the jig, you have most if not all of the jigs done and thatís a great step! Thanks again for keeping us in tune
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Johnny,

Oh man, your write-up was awesome and nice photos.

Please keep adding to this thread and updating your friends here at AAFO HangerTalk.

This is very much appreciated and you made my Monday morning reading your update.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 05-21-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Awesome update! Thanks for posting it here. It means a lot to a lot of folks. It’s great to see so much progress. There is certainly a mountain of work you’ve done. Congrats on that. Looking forward to the rest of the climb.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Hope to make it to see it fly again. "Skip" Holmes just about had it dialed in to win the "Gold". Great job.
    Lockheed Bob

Great work. Thanks for the update. It was such a beautiful plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Hope to make it to see it fly again. "Skip" Holmes just about had it dialed in to win the "Gold". Great job.
    Just about? I'd say it was there. That last race just happened to be the closest 3 way race in history. It could have gone to any one of the 3 at the front.

Will

I'll throw in my little piece...
    Did this last year for a Xmas gift to a Tsunami fan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tsunami_raw.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	23186